Changes not allowed. Unplug i link cable??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Changes not allowed. Unplug i link cable???

I just bought my FX1 in May. Since this summer has had me running around I haven't had a chance to really use the camera until last night when my cousin asked me to record his comedy performance. I wanted to record on a standard mini-dv but down-convert from HDV to DV. When I went into the menu to do this (in Camera mode) and I selected the "on" for the convert button, the indicator light on the outside stayed on HDV and I saw this message in the menu: "changes not allowed. unplug i link cable".

What does this mean? I never even plugged an i link cable into it? Is this a problem? A known glitch? Is my camera defective?

I proceeded by going further into the menu and selecting DV, which then changed the outside indicator light to DV.

Is this how it is supposed to be done?
William N Zarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

Yep, we've all seen that ominous warning and wondered what it meant :-) The Z1 does the same thing (and also when you switch from PAL to NTSC). I think Sony was just covering themselves; they want you to be sure to unplug the firewire cable before changing modes. That message is displayed, as you noticed, regardless of whether a firewire cable is connected or not.

But there are reports of people blowing the firewire port on their FX1 and Z1 when connecting to a computer, so that's something you should be careful about (see: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64884 for example). To play it safe, turn both the camera and computer off before connecting or disconnecting them. But as long as nothing is connected to your camera I think it's safe to disregard the warning message.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok. That seems to makes more sense. Thanks.

One more thing. When should the HDV or DV indicator lights be active? Switching the HDV-DV downconvert to "on" did not turn on the DV indicator light as someone else told me it would. However, (and obviously) the DV indicator light was activated when I switched the record mode from HDV to DV. Is this as it should be?
William N Zarvis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1