Can't retrieve audio 2 for dubbing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Can't retrieve audio 2 for dubbing

I shot material in Mt Hagen in PNG which had sound recorded into Channel 2 but now when I dub to DV no audio signal appears on the dub.
Does anyone know how to exztract the sound. I have set the audio mix to mix and audio monitor to ch1 +Ch2 in the audio set menu.
Zilch!
Maybe the DV AV input cannot receive a ch 2 signal? Ideas are welcome.
John Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Trustee

What's your equipment for the dub? Are you copying from camera to camera? What camera was the tape originally shot with? Which format?

A firewire connection between two decks (or cameras) should make a direct digital copy of your tape, so I'm unclear what your problem is without more info on how your are trying to make the dub.
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply Vito.
Sorry to take so long.
Problems with Vista!!!
I am dubbing from a HDV Z1P to a 5 year old Panasonic DV type NV-MX3 digital camera which I use for logging. Material was HDV.
I'm wondering if the DV will not read audio 2.
Cheerio
John
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Trustee

How are you connecting the two cameras?
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #5
Trustee

By the way, do you have the Z1 manual handy? There's a whole section on dubbing. Starts on page 89 in my Z1U manual.
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sullivan View Post
I have set the audio mix to mix and audio monitor to ch1 +Ch2 in the audio set menu.
That might have something to do with it. When listening in headphones, "CH1 + CH2" puts CH1 and CH2 in both left and right. "CH1, CH2" means CH1 is left and CH2 is right.

But as far as I know, capturing with firewire overrides that setting and automatically brings in the audio as "CH1, CH2". (if you're transferring via firewire, that is)
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Utley View Post
That might have something to do with it. When listening in headphones, "CH1 + CH2" puts CH1 and CH2 in both left and right. "CH1, CH2" means CH1 is left and CH2 is right.
Exactly. You should change it to CH1, CH2 and listen. I suspect you only recorded sound to one channel. If you make the dub using a firewire connection between the two cameras, you will be getting an exact copy. If there is sound on both channels on the tape, your copy will have it. If you only recorded sound to one channel, your copy will have one channel.

If you actually DID record sound on two channels, and you are having trouble dubbing it, then something about the way you are connecting the two cameras could be the problem...
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #8
New Boot

I can't use firewire

I can't use firewire because the DV camera to dub onto won't accept firewire input. Output is okay. So I am using s-video and AV connections for dubbing.
I am certain that the camera settings on the Z1P are fine.
Maybe AV out sees only Channel 1 on the Z1P.
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:55 AM   #9
Trustee

John, did you change the audio setting on the Z1 to CH1, CH2 and listen as I suggested? Play the tape in the Z1. If you hear audio out of only one ear then you either have audio only on one channel, you have defective earphones or a bad headphone jack. Listening to another tape that you are sure has audio on two channels will tell you which one it is.

Try another tape anyway. Then you will know if the problem is the tape or something else. It could be that the cable you are using to connect the two cameras is defective.

If you have audio only on one channel, then it has something to do with how the tape was shot, I don't know what you did there. But if that's how it is, I can't help you. AV out on the Z1 will play both channels, but only if there is something there!

Really, the best thing would be to borrow another camera that you can hook up with firewire.
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM   #10
New Boot

I know I only recorded audio on 1 channel as you always do with 1 mike. I fed the mike into Channel 2 and there is audio on channel 2.
You say that the AV out mixes ch 1 and 2 on the Z1P si I imagine the problem is on the DV machine. I will try to get hold of another DV camera for dubbing.
I'll let you know how it goes.
As far as the various combinations of audio output on the Z1P, I have tried all of them.
Thanks for everyone's advice.
Cheerio
John Sullivan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1