capturing problem - losing heads of imported clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1
New Boot

capturing problem - losing heads of imported clips

We are using a Sony Z1P capturing 1080i50 HDV materials into FCP 5.1.3 on a OS 10.4.8 system.

We are capturing our materials in one run into FCP but at the same time also using the detect DV start /stop function to segment the clips. We are running into a problem where randomly we would lose frames, some times seconds (at the worst, I've seen 10 secons lost) at the head of new clips.

This occur both capturing from the camera and our HVR M15U deck. On FCP, it would read "waiting for material", and sometimes would run way into the clip before "capturing" begins.

We've tried capturing both with / without DV start stop but the problem still occurs (though each different capture would yield different result - losing different amount of time, or even none at all).

I've tried most of the usual suspects - changing cables, using different tapes (different brands) etc. But this problem still comes and goes.

If anyone can give me some advice / help as to why this is occuring, I'd greatly appreciate it - whether this is a software problem with FCP, or we should bring in both our deck / camera for fixing.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
MK

---
[www.michaelmksiu.com]
[www.dvshortfilms.com]
Michael MK Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Maybe the footage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael MK Siu View Post
If anyone can give me some advice / help as to why this is occuring, I'd greatly appreciate it - whether this is a software problem with FCP, or we should bring in both our deck / camera for fixing.
There's an option deep in the menu of the Z1 to enable 'Fast Start' recording as it can be frustrating to wait 10 seconds for a somnambulist Z1 to wake up, lace up, find the GoP structure and start shooting. However, the downside of Fast Start is that the GoP can get confused, causing potential capture problems.

Maybe worth checking the camera?
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #3
New Boot

Matt,

Thanks for the tip. We've changed the setting and we are capturing fine again.

I am wondering, if this having this setting on would cause probelms in capturing, under what circumstance should one have this parameter switched on?

MK

---
[www.michaelmksiu.com]
[www.dvshortfilms.com]
Michael MK Siu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1