received my FX1000, 1st impressions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

received my FX1000, 1st impressions.

Hi everyone,

Felt like sharing my 1st thoughts about my new FX1000, I'll keep it simple,
First of, the small wheel (for playing with settings) is in fact really hard to turn but you somehow learn how to use it after a while. I upgraded from a FX1 and its worth it for sure, just for the LCD and VF, its awesome!!! so clear, so easy to focus compared to the FX1. The materials looks less fragile than the previous version. Evrything works perfect except for one thing, I bought 2 big capacity batteries (aftermarket) which worked perfectly with my FX1 for more than 2 yrs, but when i use them in the FX1000, after roughly 5 minutes, i get , battery not compatible with camera. error, and the camcorder stops. I'll have to order genuine sony batteries to replace them :S But beside that, i'm very pleased with the picture quality and the low light performance of the camera. I also like the HDMI and component output (which has the stereo output as well) (not the FX1). All in all, really happy with my purchase and would definitely suggest any FX1 owner to upgrade to this one if you get a good price for your FX1. I managed to sell mine for 3200$!!! (canadian money) and bought the new FX1000 for 3690$cnd including shipping and taxes.

Time to sell your sonys!!!
Jean Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The battery issue is interesting. I have large capacity after markets for my FX1 and my VX2000. One works on both, but one reacts the same way on my FX1, and won't work at all and gets the message to use Sony battery. Both are the Lemar brand
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a 970 Sony battery that works fine in my VX2100, my V1 (sold) and my Z7. But it gave a battery high temp warning on a friends FX1000 after 30 seconds. And the battery certainly was not even warm.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

1. What's the auto-focus like, compared to your FX1, is it just as fast?

2. How's the sound quality of the built in mic, compared to your FX1? Better or the same?

(The sound quality of the FX1 internal mic, compared to the VX2100 wasn't great)
Marco Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i'd say the auto-focus is about the same or faster than the FX1, but I only tried in darker situation for now (had it last night)

For the sound, i played it back on my TV with a MiniDV tape i was using with the FX1 and you can see the difference when it switch to the FX1000. The sound is excellent and it's seems higher, I had to lower the volume a little bit. I was filming my 7 months old son and I could hear him breathe from over 8ft away. A small capture to premiere showed me how clear the sound is.Very impressed so far.
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have the battery issue with a Sony battery also, but thank God it is only with one.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

With a genuine sony battery??!!!!!
How come??
It really scares me because I shoot weddings and it cannot stop
randomly for any reasons! I've noticed something though, it seems
to be info-lithium-ion batteries and not lithium-ion.
Maybe that's what make it not compatible.

Wish to learn more about this because I don't want to get stuck with one battery for a wedding day.
Any info would be really appreciated.
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Rousseau View Post
...and bought the new FX1000 for 3690$cnd including shipping and taxes.
Jean
Where did you buy your FX1000? As you can tell, I'm in Ontario and with the difference in Canadian vs. U.S. funds, I'd really like to buy here in Canada.

Barron
Barron Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I bought it at shoprbc.com. It's a computer shop located in Ottawa region (kanata) and it is for sale at 3502$ cdn. You only pay GST when you choose UPS shipping. I live about 10 minutes from there but I would have to pay PST if I pick it up in store. (which is about 300$ more) They received it yesterday and shipped it with a local courier service in the following hour. it"s hard to find on their website but just type in fx1000 in the search box. It's not in stock but takes about 4 days to receive it from Sony to shopRBC. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Inner Circle

RBC is a good store its where I buy all my computer stuff.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Rousseau View Post
it seems to be info-lithium-ion batteries and not lithium-ion.
Maybe that's what make it not compatible.
Modern Sony camcorders require Info-Lithium batteries. They won't work with batteries that aren't Info-Lithium types. I have 2 older Sony batteries that are not Info-Lithium and they will run the Sony light and they will run the CF Memory Recording unit when it isn't on the camcorder. But they won't work at all on any of the newer camcorders.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000