Is that a problem with FX1000? - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 10th, 2009, 07:47 AM   #136
Inner Circle

60, I always run 60.

Ron mentioned wishing for 60p, which I suspect could be a standard in the future.

The HMC150 does shoot in 60p, and it is pretty darn smooth.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 10th, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #137
Regular Crew

there's something unnatural to me about 60fps. I think it's too smooth, actually smoother than real life to my eyes.. maybe it's the way it handles motion blur or something like that. I wonder what the science is behind this, because really neither frame rates are what I would consider true to the human eye's peception of movement.

Oh yeah, 60fps explains your bad lowlight.. check out 30fps or 24fps, you'll get back at least a couple stops.
Ron Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #138
Inner Circle

Ron, do you mean 60p or 1/60?

If I remember correctly what I have read in some technical articles everything will be progressive at some time in the future (that may while, of course).
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #139
Inner Circle

Yes I mean 60p progressive. It should have the temporal motion of 60i but with full frames rather than fields so conversions and display will be better for flat panel displays that are able to show 60P as are most of the modern flat panels. The sports networks already transmit 60p but this is 1280x720P60( the HMC150 will shoot at this rate) so is not what is now called Full HD at 1920x1080. 60p at that resolution is not in any of the current standards although most displays will show this full rate over HDMI. I think the only cameras that shoot at this rate now are Sanyo VPC-FH1 and the VPC-HD2000.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #140
Trustee

I had to laugh yesterday since we've discussed this endlessly. I was watching "Extra" or something like that on CBS and there was a video of someone while he was being snapped by a bunch of photographers.

Well guys, there it was in all its glory, unmistakable rolling shutter!!!! So, apparently CBS IS using cams with CMOS imagers.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #141
Inner Circle

I would suspect the footage was shot by a freelancer, not by a network employee.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #142
Trustee

It's possible Jeff, but it apparently didn't bother CBS enough to not air it. Most networks can be very particular about the quality of footage aired. Discovery HD won't take more than a small percentage of HDV footage per hour of footage submitted. Of course if it's something like a disaster, murder or something like that, the networks will take almost any footage.

But this was not much of an 'event' and they could have been fussy if they had so chosen.
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #143
Regular Crew

you mean networks won't take cmos footage? I thought the ex1/3 are used a lot in tv shows.
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #144
Trustee

Ron, that's my point, apparently the networks are quite willing to accept CMOS footage.
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #145
Regular Crew

yeah i agree. they're quite willing to accept it becuase my guess is there really isn't an issue with it.
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #146
Trustee

From my vantage point I don't see a big issue. Yes, I don't encounter flashes with the work I do, but even if I did, it wouldn't prevent me from using CMOS-based cams.
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #147
Inner Circle

The networks accept footage and photos from many types of camcorders and still cameras. They take what they can get. Whatever freelancers are using to get footage of stars and events for show like "Inside Edition" is what you will see.

They are looking for content, not footage shot on one camera type or another.

To interpret anything you see on these shows as an endorsement of one kind of camera over another doesn't make sense. I've seen really bad footage on those shows shot on what appeared to be a home camcorder. It doesn't mean anything, but if you guys say it does I certainly won't argue.
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #148
Inner Circle

I too am at this crossroads.
My Z1 won't last forever and I delighted at the announcement of the Z5 and Z7. I was right on the verge of choosing between the two, and the Z7 seemed to hold the ace card because of it's much better low light capabilities as soon as you zoom to telephoto.

But but but. I've shot two weddings on an EX1 now and two things really bother me. First off is its feeble wide-angle coverage (and even more feeble, heavy, bulky 0.8x wide converter) and the CMOS rolling shutter. The latter is just ghastly under electronic flash, and although acceptable to many a client, certainly wouldn't be in slo-mo.

Of course the EX1 can shoot proper (mute) slo-mo, but I always need the sound (confetti, twirls, cake-cutting and so on), and my events happen in real time.

So the EX1 is out I'm afraid (and anyway, my clients don't pay for anything better than the Z1's most excellent footage - and I'd need two of them).

The Z7 doesn't work well with my Bolex super-wide, and although you can buy Sony's wide-angle zoom, it's not dramatically, frighteningly wide, it's just usefully wide. Yawn.

The Z5 is the biz except for one thing - and that's those CMOS chips. Sorry Sony, you've lost a long-time customer here.

I'll not go to smaller chips than 1"/3. The world is moving to ever larger chips for their low light capabilities and dof control, and I too am a believer. The PDX10 was a complete no-no with minuscule 1"/5 chips. So however clever and well reviewed the JVC 100 is, it's still sports a feeble zoom with an appalling wide-angle, feeding tiny chips. CCDs though, so thumbs up there.

Panasonic are really showing the way forward with their 4/3 (four thirds) format, and I'll wait awhile. Meanwhile the 151 appeals except for the fact that it's now become too expensive for it's own good. The build quality is nothing like a Z5 and the side-screen is silly, but the CCDs appeal. It needs two card slots, slow shutter speeds and more telephoto reach for my work, and when you can see the spec for the 151A you know it's best to hold on. The DVX100 was quickly replaced by the DVX100A for the same reasons.

I'm not so bothered by SDHC gathering, as you can downconvert in camera if needs be. Archiving is a different matter though, and dead easy with the Z1, 5 & 7. The Canon XH-A1s is still a very good camera indeed, although it will be Canon's last MiniDV cam.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #149
Trustee

Jeff, I agree that for 'must have' footage, the networks will and do accept most anything. But, as Ron pointed out, CMOS-based cams are indeed used in shows where they have a choice.

We obviously disagree on the severity of the issue, but that's fine. As I said, I would still get the Z5 again even if I did weddings, but only because I don't see the issue as you do.

It's great that we have a wide choice of cams for different needs and tastes. :)
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000