First impressions: FX1000 vs Panasonic HMC150 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
The files on the card are fat 32 and limited to 4gb each, right?
Yes, and this is true of every HDD recorder out there as well. No way to get around joining the files as far as I know. Would love to hear if there is an alternative.

It is beyond me why they all go with FAT32.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #32
Major Player

Any Mac with a journaled HD will handle files bigger than 4gb, if I'm not mistaken...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Stelios, you are just determined to get me to buy a Z5, aren't you?

Well, you might be getting close! I'm going to be putting the Panasonic up for sale, and I might take your advice and do exactly what you say.
Jeff you are not going to regret it. The Z5 is not perfect (no camera is) but certainly is value for money.

Stelios
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Any Mac with a journaled HD will handle files bigger than 4gb, if I'm not mistaken...
Yes, the Mac file system handles files larger than 4GB without problems - nothing to to with journalling, which can be on or off.

FAT32 is a file system from twenty years ago, and should have been left behind quickly imo...
Ben Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Just a quick note to offer my first impressions of the HMC150 vs my FX1000s.

I like the HMC150 very much. I MUCH prefer the way the CCDs handle flash over the CMOS.

A shooter shot a couple of hours of footage in 720p for a wedding Saturday, and I like the way it looks.

AVCHD files are no walk in the park, however I presume upshift by VASST will handle that.

I miss that the Panasonic does not shoot in SD, which is how I shoot most of the time with the FX1000 now. (I did know about that prior to purchasing)

Overall, the footage looks very nice, film like.

I use a Juiced Link box for my audio with the FX1000, and I am so over that mess. It throws off the balance of the camera and I hate it. The box works great, but other than that the arrangement is cumbersome and unacceptable.

Of course you can purchase the Z5 for an extra $700, which would be a very good choice, since it offers tapeless also. I have lots more to learn about the Panasonic, and while I like it very much so far, I would, at this point, lean toward the Z5 simply because if offers the best of most worlds (16:9 SD and HD) and it offers a tapeless workflow and pro audio.

If you are looking strictly at image quality, I don't see either one is much better than the other. I have read the posts of us comparing images, etc., and I still believe the differences are too small to care about, but it is honestly too early for me to tell. As you can read below it turns out the settings were changed by an inexperienced operator and I cannot determine how good or poor the Panasonic stacks up.
Sometime next year I hope to be able to buy a new cam that will replace my Canon HV30. I just need to find the money first! (Psst! Anybody wanna donate to Steve's Buy a New Camcorder Fund?? : ) )

I like the Canon, but would like more manual controls and a more capable lens with the ability to focus manually.

I'm looking at either the Sony FX1000 or the Panasonic AG-HMC150. If the footage I've seen on Vimeo is anything to go by, the Sony seems to have a sharper image. I also like its balanced colour gamut, while the Panasonic seems to have a bit of a greenish, slightly washed-out tinge to it.

The only thing I don't like about the Sony is that it uses tape. Card-based media would be much more convenient. On the other hand, it's good to know that the FX1000 can be mated with the HVR-MRC1 CF recording unit.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #36
Regular Crew

After reading those coments about the HVR-MRC1,this will be my
next $$$$$ for the Z5 !!

Franklin Bencosme !!

" We don't do videos, we do memories "
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hall View Post
Yes, the Mac file system handles files larger than 4GB without problems - nothing to to with journalling, which can be on or off.

FAT32 is a file system from twenty years ago, and should have been left behind quickly imo...
Yes, PCs handle files bigger than 4GB as well... I was talking about the tapeless on-camera recorders, like the Sony MRC, DR60, Firestores, etc, which are neither macs nor PCs, but are meant to work with both. All use FAT32 for some inexplicable reason and none can do a single file larger than 2 (or 4) GB, to my knowledge. If I could find one that did, I'd buy it (four of them, actually) in a heartbeat.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Are you kidding me Adam, they all use fat 32? That is crazy.

I am looking at ADS pryro drives from someone local tomorrow, I'm so disappointed to hear this.

I'd be better off in that case with the Sony unit, I suspect.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Are you kidding me Adam, they all use fat 32? That is crazy.
I agree and cannot figure it out. I posted a question about why this is over in the tapeless section and I hope someone who knows can explain this.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:03 PM   #40
Regular Crew

I think the reason is because they want a format that is compatible with both PC and Macs and NTFS doesn't work on Macs and HFS don't work on PCs. They should just make the cameras able to write to both formats.
David Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jonas View Post
NTFS doesn't work on Macs
Macs read the NTFS filesystem just fine, so NTFS would work as a format.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Macs read the NTFS filesystem just fine, so NTFS would work as a format.
True you can read NTFS on a mac but you can't write to NTFS. Remember most persons would need to both read and write back to disk. Snow Leopard I hear will write to NTFS though.
David Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:34 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jonas View Post
True you can read NTFS on a mac but you can't write to NTFS. Remember most persons would need to both read and write back to disk.
I thought that 99% of the time you'd be copying the files off the card and to the computer, so the write issue would be less of a problem. Anyway, I guess FAT32 is such a lowest common denominator format that works for the vast majority of users, they use that, and implement workarounds.

Perversely, it is a file system that is rubbish at dealing with large files, which is precisely what HD video cameras generate... go figure..! ;)
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:44 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
I thought that 99% of the time you'd be copying the files off the card and to the computer, so the write issue would be less of a problem. Anyway, I guess FAT32 is such a lowest common denominator format that works for the vast majority of users, they use that, and implement workarounds.

Perversely, it is a file system that is rubbish at dealing with large files, which is precisely what HD video cameras generate... go figure..! ;)
I completely agree. Don't have a file based camcorder as yet. Would love the HMC and would prefer an unlimited size file system. It was a pain editing with FAT32 back in the day and it can only have gotten worse since we thought that that era was over.
David Jonas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000