MRC-1 missing frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Major Player

MRC-1 missing frames

I'm having an issue where a couple of frames are missing from long clips. If I shoot an hour long service, every 21 minutes (this is not exact because I'm not in front of my computer) when the clip spits automatically it leaves a gap in audio and video. It looks like a jump cut and if someone happens to be speaking, lost audio. Is anyone else having this problem?
I called Sony and they told me to reset the unit but that hasn't helped. I've had the same problem whether I use the Sony utility program or just drag the files straight to my hard drive.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Rob,

I've only run one test with spanned files on my new MRC1. Throughout the test using a 300X UDMA CF card, I had the Z5 pointed at my iPhone running iSlate, which displays a running time sync that includes frame count. I can't say how accurate it is, but I was unable to detect any lost frames when dragging individual files into Premire Pro. Shooting 24P without tape. Maybe higher FPS would be more prone to the problem.

I have noticed about a one second frame loss at the end of any clip.

I'll be shooting more long footage this weekend and will closely examine the join point.
Bill Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Major Player

See if you can notice where it splits on it's own. I didn't notice it at first time because there was no audio and nobody was moving. I looked back and it is there as well.
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Rob, I noticed this when I did a test.

I filmed for an hour using tape and card.

Loaded tape on to timeline and then imported SEPARATE clips from card (over 20mins will be split up into separate clips, so if you film 40mins you get 2 clips, 60 mins 3 clips)

When I loaded the SEPARATE clips on to timeline and lined them up in syn with the tape, there were a few frames missing from the beginning of each clip.

When I used the Sony utility, which joins the separated clips together, there were no missing frames and the stitched clips were in sync., so I suggest you use the Sony Utility and see if you get the same results.

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

OK, I just ran a test 3 times with the exact same results. I used iSlate so that the time sync display was unique in each frame (did a very nice job). I dragged the two files separately into the timeline of Premiere Pro. I then used the Sony Recording Unit in Windows to covert the two files into a single file. Results:

- No frames were lost at the start of recording
- No frames were lost at the end of recording
- Two frames were lost at the join point when joining separate files
- No frames are lost at the join point using the RU utility

So I guess my workflow will still involve directly dragging the separate files into my timeline unless those two frames at the join point are critical.
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Major Player

I got the same results with and without the utility. I shot again today and tried
re-formatting the CF cards before I shot. I'll try to get it loaded later and see what happens.
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

We are having the same issue! We have a shoot this weekend so hopefully we can figure it out by then. If we do, I will let you all know.
Tim Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Sadly, after resetting the unit and re-formatting the CF cards, same crap. At 21:42:28, there is a lapse in audio. I have imported the footage directly into my NLE and have used the Sony utility program with the same results. it is obviously an inherent problem with the unit. I could see someone overlooking the problem but I bet it will be there if you are taking long services. As long as you’re not shooting over 21 minutes I guess you’re okay. I guess I’ll be on the phone with Sony again.
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You're not the first to have this issue, and in my opinion it is a major one. I mean, the whole *point* of this device is to shoot stuff longer than will fit on an hour tape, at least for me. But as long as these people keep insisting on the units only using FAT32, they're worthless in my book.

Otherwise I'd buy four tomorrow.

There are at least a couple of other threads about this in the MRC1 forum.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #10
Major Player

I spoke to someone at Sony today and he said something about a software upgrade being available. He's going to call me back Monday but it didn't sound like it would come as a firmware upgrade, It sounded as though the unit may have to be sent in. As soon as I have more info I'll pass it along.
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
I spoke to someone at Sony today and he said something about a software upgrade being available. He's going to call me back Monday but it didn't sound like it would come as a firmware upgrade, It sounded as though the unit may have to be sent in. As soon as I have more info I'll pass it along.
I would find it astounding if the firmware couldn't be upgraded via the CF card. Even my $200 point & shoot camera can do that.
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ackerman View Post
I would find it astounding if the firmware couldn't be upgraded via the CF card. Even my $200 point & shoot camera can do that.

That was the first question I asked and that is what he told me. Hopefully, I'll something Monday
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Rob,
Thanks for posting this up and doing so much of the footwork. I suspect there are a lot of people lurking around this topic waiting to see what you find out about the software upgrade. Please let us know if Sony has anything to say, and thanks again.
Old June 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #14
Major Player

They never called me back and I've been so busy I forgot. I'll call again.
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ackerman View Post
I dragged the two files separately into the timeline of Premiere Pro. I then used the Sony Recording Unit in Windows to covert the two files into a single file.
The ONLY way that I have been able to get the utility to work is if the files are still on the original CF card. My Sony utilty program will not even recognize anything at all, if the clips have been copied to any other drive or storage medium. I shot a ballet recently and each act was almost an hour long. I pulled the cards right out of the camera and ran everything through the utility. It worked perfectly. And when I went to put them on the timeline, 6 - 20+ minutes clips became 2 - 1 hour clips.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000