What camera to match FX1000? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 19th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Yes, except we're talking about the HDR-FX1000 here, not the HVR-HD1000U. Completely different animals.

The HD1000 has its own forum. It's a big HC7.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #17
Archivist for SMECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Yes, except we're talking about the HDR-FX1000 here, not the HVR-HD1000U. Completely different animals.

The HD1000 has its own forum. It's a big HC7.
I am sorry.... as soon as I see a 1000 I assme it is as my camra is. never mind my mess up! sorry!

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #18
Regular Crew

But what about matching FX1000 with HVR-HD1000U?

I have the same thoughts right now. Need to decide on second camera for my Z5U and so far the closest one in under 2000 price range is HVR-HD1000U. Low light capabilities could be compensated with Sony HVL-LBPA LED Light System (arround $500), also thinking about wide angle converter lens (about $130) and it will come out to $2100 all together.

Over all this camera should perform well as a second/backup tool for ceremonies and receptions. Is there anyone who does the same with his Z5?

To me the good side about matching this cameras is that they use the same batteries and there will be no need to carry two different sets of chargers and accumulators.
The bad side is that HD1000 manual controls are touch screen based. Also it is requires additional heavy and expensive gear.

Lukas did you find the best match already or still thinking bout it? I will need to make my mind about 2nd cam by Feb. 2010. Your experience will be helpful for me too.
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Khachatryan View Post
Lukas did you find the best match already or still thinking bout it? I will need to make my mind about 2nd cam by Feb. 2010. Your experience will be helpful for me too.
I've been seeing used FX1000's going for mid $2k's recently - maybe even less by next year. I came to conclusion that I need another FX1000 or Z5 - I don't have time to worry about matching footage quality from both cams. I want to go "big" next season and I need a setup which will generate consistent results.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I run two and a third odd camera, and I want a third FX1000 in the worst way. The Canon HV30 looks so different during the ceremony I can't stand it. You are SO correct...get the matching cam...your videos will look much better.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #21
Major Player

I'm with you Jeff, but I would like to add the Z5 for one reason only, the way the MRC1 recording unit attaches.
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
I'm with you Jeff, but I would like to add the Z5 for one reason only, the way the MRC1 recording unit attaches.
That would be the best. Maybe save money at the beginning and skip the recorder. Then add it as soon as customers start paying for SDE's and other cool features :-)
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
But what about matching FX1000 with HVR-HD1000U?
Really, trust me on this, they're nothing alike, image-wise.

The best match continues to be FX7/V1. Even V1s are cheaper than FX1000s now (with the $500 rebate on a new one at B&H, they come out to $2779 with free shipping). FX7s are $1999, also with free shipping. And don't forget if you access the site via Bing, you save another 2%.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thank you for advices. I would love to have additional Z5. Think it would be amazing to have two similar weapons on the field. But again, adding another camera means adding wide angle lens, additional tripod, dollies, batteries, light... it is not just a cost of camcorder itself or another MRC1 (which I don't even have for my current Z5).
Anyway, Lukas is right, maybe by next year there will be some used ones out there for lower price. There is plenty time to shop around and get to know other cameras.

Adam, few weeks ago I have worked as a B camera on one set where A and B cameras were EX1's, backup was Z1 and there was one more static camera without operator just shooting from one location, and it was HD1000 (what a mess!). I asked the guy how is he going to handle editing and he replied that he doesn't care. The most important thing for him was multi camera performance. But I guess that kind of mix up may lead to a lot of hustle during the editing process.
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #25
New Boot

I use the fx1000 and the a1u and find no problem matching the footage. Naturally the a1u needs better lighting than the fx1000 but with the right settings and a little supplemental lighting it works fine.
John Beattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beattie View Post
I use the fx1000 and the a1u and find no problem matching the footage. Naturally the a1u needs better lighting than the fx1000 but with the right settings and a little supplemental lighting it works fine.
That's a great news. I could pickup used a1u for less then $1500 :-)
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Adam, few weeks ago I have worked as a B camera on one set where A and B cameras were EX1's, backup was Z1 and there was one more static camera without operator just shooting from one location, and it was HD1000 (what a mess!). I asked the guy how is he going to handle editing and he replied that he doesn't care. The most important thing for him was multi camera performance. But I guess that kind of mix up may lead to a lot of hustle during the editing process.
It sure does. We were shooting with a mix of FX7s, FX1s and FX1000s. I finally bit the bullet, sold eight various cams (from HC3s up to FX1000s) and bought four Z5s. Now I'm all set... I think....
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000