Best compact flash cards for Sony Z5 with MRC1K unit - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 5th, 2010, 07:29 AM   #31
Regular Crew

just used a Transcend 64GB card and it seems OK so far but time will tell...
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
I reformat my cards after each time I use them. No issues whatsoever.
Rob may I ask why you reformat the cards after you use them?
I have 3 Transcend 133x cards that I use and I only delete the files once I transfer them to my PC. I never had a problem with so far, so I don't see the point of reformat the cards.

Stelios
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Regular Crew

There is no need to reformat at all.
Never have done it, and never had data loss.
Shooting on sony cards only tho, I know way too expensive but in my twisted logic it gives me peace of mind. So I reckon that is worth the extra money....
Boudewijn de Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #34
Trustee

not reformatting - however, interested in whether we're talking about 'quick' format, or full format?

i made the mistake early on of deleting files off card from pc - when i put the card in the camera i got a 'format error' on the little display. there's NO way to format the card on the camera with is error!!! put it back in pc, did a quick format and all came good again.

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Rob may I ask why you reformat the cards after you use them?
I have 3 Transcend 133x cards that I use and I only delete the files once I transfer them to my PC. I never had a problem with so far, so I don't see the point of reformat the cards.

Stelios
Stelios, I have done that since day one and haven't had any problems. Since everything went well I never changed the habit. Since everyone was talking about not reformatting the disk, the last 3 jobs I've done I just used the delete feature. No difference.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #36
Trustee

Thanks for the reply guys and Rob,
The Photographer that I work with, tells me that he always format his cards used in his DSLR camera because his says that when you delete the files only, your card is not completely empty (less space available) so he always formats his cards after he transfers the photos to his PC. Any comments.

Stelios
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #37
Major Player

That actually makes sense. As long as you format in the unit I really don't see how formatting the card causes problems.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #38
New Boot

Sandisk card types for MRC

Hi, I am looking at the below 3 card types for the MRC.

Sandisk_Extreme_32Gb_UDMA_60Mb/s_$173
Sandisk_Extreme III_32Gb_30Mb/s_$172
Sandisk_Extreme PRO_32Gb_UDMA_90Mb/s_$311

Any views on Extreme vs Extreme III vs Extreme PRO or UDMA vs NON UDMA. Would the Extreme PROs be overkill? Which would you recommend?

Colm
Colm Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #39
Inner Circle

I have nine of the Extreme IIIs and they have all worked flawlessly. I'd buy more but I can't find them anymore.
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #40
Major Player

Colm, The Extreme 60mb/s card is great and fast. Not sure if the 90mb/s one is worth the extra cash at the stage.
Chris Duczynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
32gig cards are not recommended by sony Stelios make sure you record to card and tape
so for wedding services its basically not possible to record onto CF? Well... it's possible but not recommended? Maybe the hard drive unit is recommended over the CF for this sort of thing?
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Nonsense. 32GB cards work fine. This misinformation was addressed in the post following the one you quoted.
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:36 AM   #43
Major Player

It still seems like there is a matter of opinion on that issue. I know several people have had 32gb and 64gb working but from what I've read a lot have also had problems.

As with most people switching from tape to CF will hopefully give me better reliability, I just hope there are no issues with larger cards. I'm sure the issues ive read about are due to the specific cards and not because theyre 32gb
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #44
Major Player

Don't think about what a good card for the Z5 is, think about what a good professional card is.

Still photographers probably use the most compact flash cards, trust the brands they trust. Walk into a photography store that is for professionals (not one pretending it is for professionals) and look at what they sell. I'm guessing many of them will only have Lexar & Sandisk.

If you stick with quality, you'll get quality. As to 32GB, 64GB, 128GB... why do you need such big cards? If there is a risk with a larger card use smaller cards & swap them out.

How many people are recording w/o a break for longer than 70min? If you don't, stick with a bunch of 16GB cards. They're small, cheap & well trusted.

I have 2 16GB & 2 8GB, rarely do I need more than that.
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
How many people are recording w/o a break for longer than 70min?
If you address that question to theatre/live event shooters, the answer is quite a few. In the past five years we have yet to have a show where Act I was less than 85 minutes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000