Dropouts!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I gotta say that it doesn't make any sense to test a new camera with a used tape. obviously there's a problem with the camera, but you'll never know if it was that way to begin with or whether there was something physical or otherwise on that tape which messed it up. I've found all HDV cameras to be rather free of dropouts. the only serious problem I had was with a rented Z7. recording to file is great... charlie
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:56 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I am transferring a tape to the pc right now and i have 4 dropouts in the first 45min of the tape.... :(
Stefanos Lampridis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:32 AM   #18
Trustee

new (if so which brand)?

if used, well.....
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:38 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Always NEW tape, Sony Premium
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM   #20
Trustee

maybe dumb question, but what environment are you shooting in? dusty?

have you tried blowing out the tape compartment with 'dry' compressed air (CAREFULLY!).

have you tried a tape from a completely different batch?

sorry can't be of more help....
Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM   #21
Regular Crew

You are helping! ;)

No, i have not tried that.
Shooting locations are dust free.

Maybe i should mention that the program (Vegas 8) does not refer to dropouts when i transfer. Dropped frames remains ZERO. (according to the program that is)
But what is happening is that a new file is created when this happens although scene detection is OFF
Fail on dropped frames is OFF

But instead of me ending up with a file per tape file, i end up with multiple.

When this is happening the Z5 monitor goes blue and the sound of the event stops.

So i guess that IS a dropped frame...
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:50 PM   #22
Trustee

if the camera's going blue, then it's certainly at that end of the chain - as you rightly pointed out.

as it seems to be random, 4 in one tape(?), i'm at a loss as to what to suggest, other than a quick blow job, followed by a service if the problem remains....

good luck with it.....
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Are these dropouts in the middle of a continuous shot or at the start and stop points of a shot? If the latter, make sure QUICK RECORD is off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
...i'm at a loss as to what to suggest, other than a quick blow job, followed by a service if the problem remains....
Les, you may wish to take a quick look at American vernacular and possibly edit. Although I think that's a great plan until one finds a solution.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:45 PM   #24
Trustee

opps.... but it really would be a quick one ;-)

adam's point about position of drop-outs is also very pertinent. where are they?
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:59 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Stephanos, I have had this happen a few times with my FX1 using Vegas Pro 8, 32bit. I then switched to the 64 bit version to capture and the issue went away but the 64 bit version cannot show a preview when it captures. I assumed that the issue was then one of my computer and its display during capture. From that point on I always used the 64 bit version to capture and have had no problems since but now am tapeless with the NX5U.
Try Vegas 8.1 or Vegas Pro 9 64 bit version and see if the issue goes away.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #26
Trustee

further to ron's suggestion - you can always download hdvsplit and try that as well (it's 32bit). i used to use it quite regularly when i didn't have vegas on my laptop...
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #27
Regular Crew

i have dropouts even if the camera it's previewing on it's own, or on a TV set.
Interesting thing tho is that they are not (not always at least) in the same place every time. (i.e. if i re-view a piece with a dropout it *might* not be there next time...

BTW Vegas is 9 64bit. sorry, i misspelled before...

Yes, i may have 2 to 6 dropouts at one tape in various spots.

The batch of tapes must not be an issue because i have this problem since the i bought the camera (16 months now)

I usually transfer my tapes through a Sony HDR-HC9E, but the concerts are in 25p and HC9 does not read it, so i transfer them through the Z5 directly.
Could the problem be just on the reading head/s and not in the actual recording ones? (If we assume that they are separated.)

Last edited by Stefanos Lampridis; June 4th, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #28
Major Player

This thread is 3 months old. Denny, if you're still around here, did you send your cam back? How did you resolve the issue?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000