Low Light Comparison To The VX2100 ? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #31
Regular Crew

I guess you don't know how green a rookie I am. How can I check the run times?

Thanks.
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Allan,
On the VX series you can't check times, that's strictly a function of an authorized Sony repair shop with the proper tool to do so. On the PD series though after turning the camera ON open the LCD and on the camera body there are a bunch of buttons one of them is the MENU button. Press it and use the SCROLL WHEEL to scroll to the bottom icon. Then PRESS the scroll wheel to highlight the icon, scroll to the bottom, it says HOURS, press the scroll wheel and there you are. The top number is OPERATION, the next is TAPE RUN, then DRUM RUN then THREADING OPERATIONS. All number except threading operations is multiplied by 10 so for instance if the OPERATION number read 70 then it has 700 hours of ON time. DRUM RUN reads 45 then it has 450 hours of drum run time. If say THREADING OPERATIONS read 513 then thats what it is meaning it threaded tape 513 time which really doesn't mean much to me. Operation, Drum run and Tape run to me are the most valuable and telling numbers.
HTHs
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thanks, So I guess a 2 year MACK warranty is called for.
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #34
Inner Circle

No, the cams are SO inexpensive and so reliable...I can't see getting a warranty. I've seen PD150s for $750. I've bought two off of the classifieds here. I paid $850 for one two years ago that had barely been used. I turned around and sold it for after using it for two years. It was still in top notch condition, and the guy that bought it called me earlier this year to tell me how happy he is with it.
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Not if you have my luck. Heh!

Thanks
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Got a PD-170. Very Pleased. Thanks Guys.

Hi Guys,

I got my PD170 today and am very pleased. It seems to have low hours. Operation 51, Drum 28, Tape 19, Threading 41, all x 10 of course.
The kit is tailored to a PI's needs. A pelican case to protect it, one small and one largest sized "Sony" battery, a cigarette lighter charger, and the memory stick.
I now have the Date & Time no matter what the transfer method. I no longer have to S-Video out to a set top DVD-RW burner to have the code on the video. I just firewire to the PC and pull it off to Windows movie maker. OoooRah!
You can toss a blanket over the camera or close the iris and the code is still shown!

Moving through manual adjustments from iris, shutter speed, and gain has more freedom and cares less which one I picked 1st.
No color view finder but that's OK with me.

The tad bit lower LUX rating is a tad noticeable.

My old Sony CCD TRV-52 remote control works with it.

I took it out and this thing in the hands of a PI is deadly at night. My available shooting light conditions have doubled.

As a raw rookie video shooter if it were not for this group of folks here I would still be lost in the woods.

This is a class A group. there are no "Use the SEARCH" police here it seems. You guys have been great.

Oh..... the internal batteries are working to hold the settings during a battery change. For now.

Thanks.
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Congrats! This is a great forum, I completely agree with you!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000