Basic question, but who uses a UV filter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 29th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Basic question, but who uses a UV filter?

I use a Canon clear UV filter mainly to protect the lens because I get into dusty situations. I didn't see a whole lot of image degradation, but I'd probably be better w/o it. What are you guys doing?
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Basic question, but who uses a UV filter?

having had a damaged front element years ago (from accidental encounter with object) i've always had a uv on. yes, people argue they don't serve any 'photographic' purpose nowadays, and they might be right, but ask them that AFTER they've damaged the front element.

i now have a matt box on more or less permanently so don't use the uv, UNLESS i'm shooting without the box.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I used to always use them, but with the very sensible arguments made by others who know a lot more than I do, namely that any piece of glass in front of your lens will degrade the image somewhat, coupled with the deep lens hood on most pro cams (minimizing the chance of any lens damage other than from blowing sand or the like), I've elected to not use them any more.

Sandy/dusty situations, yes, sure.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Use them in dusty conditions. Otherwise you can do without them. Also, be aware that your ND filter control is another place that dust can enter your camera. Attached is an example of using it while hanging out the side of a land rover. You can also see the effect of a lens shade.
Attached Thumbnails
Basic question, but who uses a UV filter?-filtersnshade.jpg  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000