Sony Z7 / S270 various topics - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #61
Major Player

Shooting in Extended Digital

Has anyone experimented much with the extended digital setting?

Last night I was able to shoot a rehearsal for a high school stage performance and switched back and forth from the normal setting to extended digital. I honestly didn't see much (if any) difference at all. Had I not seen the footage "pop" in when I turned it on, I'm not sure I would have noticed it.

I'm just curious to know what others have experienced.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM   #62
New Boot

Hvr-z7u Cf And Avid Timecode Workflow?

Ok everyone.. so I have been shooting with my z7u and so far, so good.. I do see the problems that people have been saying.. (the whip pan digital breakdowns and the bad autofocus) but the autofocus I think I fixed it quite a bit by adjusting my backfocus and turning off macro focus and changing the AE window to Type 2.

Now.. my problem lies here..

My whole goal is to shoot in HDV, and capture on the CF as SD in raw DV.

Problem is that I don't know when I import it, the timecode does not import as well! I need timecode so when I decide to recapture the sequence to HDV, I have the possiblility to do that.

When I capture CF as HDV, timecode comes in, but not when I do SD. Am I missing something? does anyone know?

Johnny
Johnny Tsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #63
Regular Crew

HVR-S270U "reclassified"? $8700

Long story short...my studio got burglarized, and 30K worth of gear got taken. Nothing irreplaceable, thank goodness, but I'm stuck having to reorder lots of gear in time for a shoot this weekend. So anyway, my first couple of options for reordering the S270U suddenly didn't have it in stock, and I had to go to Sony's website just to see what other authorized dealers were out there. In doing so, I learned from the Roscor rep that Sony has "reclassified" the S270U as a camera that has to sold for a minimum dealer price of $8700. He made it sound like bad news, but that was a lower price than I was getting from B&H or Armatos (neither of whom have it in stock), and E.C. Pro Video was able to match it with a sooner ship date. So if you're looking to get one of these, be aware if you don't already know that you can get it for $8700, and I'll bet many authorized dealers will match that.
Bob Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #64
HDV Cinema

Could you get a similar quote for the Z7?
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #65
Major Player

US Sony Rebate - Free 8G CF Card

Link is on Sony's site....

Free 8G CF Card w/ Z7U purchase between Jan 15 - Sept 30 (this was the rebate that was pulled a few months back)

No limit, either.

Requires UPC and online survey completion.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #66
HDV Cinema

Anybody in Las Vegas with Z7 or 270?

Please contact me at d-v-c@mindspring.com.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:18 AM   #67
Major Player

Z7U - Video Output Problem / Question...Advice???

I'm trying to output the video to both the LCD and an external monitor.

I know that within the menu, I select DISPLAY SET > DISPLAY OUTPUT > V-OUT/LCD or ALL OUTPUT.

My question (potential problem?) is that I can view the Menu selections on the external screen, but the pertinent info, like what's on the camera LCD appears for about 1/4-second and then disappears. Again, the only thing that works is the menu; I can't see anything else, like focusing controls, battery life....all of that stuff. I'm using composite.

Anyone know something I don't? Can anyone test this and let me know if I'm missing something? I need to figure this out for Saturday's shoot.

Oh, and my replacement Z7U - fantastic. Who knows what happened to the other one.

Thanks!

mll
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:20 AM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
I'm trying to output the video to both the LCD and an external monitor.

I know that within the menu, I select DISPLAY SET > DISPLAY OUTPUT > V-OUT/LCD or ALL OUTPUT.

My question (potential problem?) is that I can view the Menu selections on the external screen, but the pertinent info, like what's on the camera LCD appears for about 1/4-second and then disappears. Again, the only thing that works is the menu; I can't see anything else, like focusing controls, battery life....all of that stuff. I'm using composite.

Anyone know something I don't? Can anyone test this and let me know if I'm missing something? I need to figure this out for Saturday's shoot.

Oh, and my replacement Z7U - fantastic. Who knows what happened to the other one.

Thanks!

mll
Marshall I dragged everything upstairs to check this out and setting camera to V Out/Panel I get everything on the external monitor that I see on the camera lcd.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #69
Major Player

Native demo clip to study CA wantend

As a former Canon A1-user I have become quite sensitive when it's about CA in wide angle shots. Since Adam Wilt's excellent Z7-review mentions CA as well I'd appreciate a short, wide-angled, native Z7-clip very much.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Yes, tho haven't started editing yet.
Jaums Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:07 AM   #71
Regular Crew

RF interference causing zoom /focus problems

I have just read a thread on the Guild of TV Cameramen( UK) forum site on Yahoo groups. I could not copy and paste here for some bizarre reason but it was from a Z7 owner who had problems with using a 5 Watt UHF transceiver near the lens of the Z7 ( same as S270). When the transmit button was pressed the zoom and focus on the lens started moving randomly without operator input. It did not appear to cause problems with recording( but obviously the footage would be unuseable anyway).
They cut the power on the transceiver to 1 Watt and told the operator to keep it away from the lens which cured the fault .
Obviously this is a design fault so be aware if your lens gets taken over by demons.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Z7/S270 as good as DSR300 in low light?

I'm a wedding production company, and am about to go full HD, thinking of 2 HVR270 units and one Z7 unit. Any comments as to how these cameras perform in low light? I shoot with the DSR 300 series cameras, and love thier low-light abilities. Any help?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:48 AM   #73
Major Player

I had a similar experience with my PD-150. Turning off steadyshot cured the problem.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM   #74
Regular Crew

Cache Recording Mode

Wondering if any of you have had any experience with the cache recording mode. I love to hear how this works with the Z7u.
Thanks
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #75
Regular Crew

1080/25P HDV format - NLE compatability?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here: Do any NLE's handle Sony's 1080/25P flavour of HDV natively?

I'm working on Avid MC and 1080/25P HDV isn't listed as a supported format (and there is no project setting for it in MC). The footage imports ok into a 1080i HDV project, but Avid seems to interpret the material as interlaced (and if I bring the footage into a regular, non-HDV 1080/25P project a warning dialog appears about importing interlaced material into a progressive project.)

I'm not quite sure what's going on under the bonnet either in the way the camera creates 25P or in the way Avid handles it (I've posted on the Avid forum with no joy so far) Is the Z7's 1080/25P HDV the same format as that from the V1, and if so does anyone has any experience of working with that progressive material? I'd like to keep the material progressive throughout the workflow.
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270