Lens multiplication factor 7.2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Lens multiplication factor 7.2?

Is there any info about the multiplication factor for adding a new lens?
For instance, I know that on an old XL1, if you mounted an EOS to it the factor was 7.2 times. Such that a 10mm lens would become a 72mm lens. Great for wildlife shots, not so good for interior shots. Similar thing I would presume with the addition of 1/2" or 2/3" glass from video cameras.
Is this the case with the Z7?
Thanks, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's not quite as easy as it sounds to get an accurate conversion figure Craig. The 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios are both different from the 35 mm film frame, which is 36X24, or 3:2. (1.33:1; 1.5:1; 1.78:1)

In film days a wide-angle was measured by the angle seen across the diagonal of the 35 mm frame, because the frame could be shot in portrait or landscape mode.

The video camera will (generally) only be used in landscape mode, so if you apply that same thinking to 4:3 video the lens seems to 'see wider', but that's because there's more grass and sky in the shot. Conversely with 16:9 frame there's less sky and grass.

I think it's time we all decided to equate what's seen horizontally in our v'finders, and in underscan mode (full recorded frame), too.

tom
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Major Player

I guess what I was wondering was not so much how it handled a wide format which indeed is an issue as well but rather, how a lens from a 35mm camera would work on a 1/3" chip camera. The example of the XL1/2 using a Cannon 100mm lens becoming a 720mm tele is more about what I am wondering.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270