Got mine 2 days ago at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Got mine 2 days ago

Well I got my HVR-S270 wed. the 27th. I have been playing with it for the last 2 days.

Here is what I like-

It is very solid. I am used to DVCpro cameras 2/3in from work (last year retired), but this camera is very well made and looks like it could take some punishment if needed. It is also heavier than I expected, about the same weight as DVCpro I was using at work. This is not a prosumer camera.

I got the Anton Bauer batt plate so I can use my Dionic 90 batteries and that slipped on quite nicely. Then just use the AB battery setting in the menu.
The HD picture is gorgeous ( I never shot with HD at work so all Hd looks great to me). I am impressed with the SD dv also.
I am just using MiniDV tapes because I use the Sony GVHD700 to playback and capture. SD looks just great, certainly as good as the DSR300 I have and even as nice as the Ikegami HL-DV7AW I had briefly. Of course I doubt if the S270 can work as well as the 1/2 or 2/3inch chip cameras in low light but who knows?
Lots of bells and whistles in the menu settings. You can assign a profile from different kinds video settings from film looks to high saturation colors look.
Has a great handle zoom so if you are standing up while shooting and looking thru the LCD viewfinder you can zoom in and out using a rocker on the handle and even set the speeds.

What I do not like is the lens that comes with it. It has great optics but I am just not used to a lens that has auto focus and really very little iris control. Even on manual both are sluggish. I know it will take different lens but all my money with into the camera. The focus ring is awkward as well. You push the ring forward for auto and back for manual. It should be the other way around. When I am using manual I seem to push it forward and go into auto and then I lose control of focus.
I know I only trust manual iris and manual focus, so this could take some getting used to.

I will add more as I explore the camera more. But so far I really like it and it is really an on the shoulder camera that has the look and the weight/build of an ENG camera.

I found a solution to my iris problem. In the menu there is a setting for smooth gain. If this is turned off the iris is no longer sluggish and responds well.

Last edited by Jim Forrest; February 29th, 2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add on
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Jim
Thanks for a useful post on the Z7 when you say the picture is as good as your DSR300 in SD can you tell me is that under all conditions as you know the 300 was top dog under low light how do you think the the Z7 will compare under dodgy lighting at receptions
Thomas Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Quinn View Post
Jim
Thanks for a useful post on the Z7 when you say the picture is as good as your DSR300 in SD can you tell me is that under all conditions as you know the 300 was top dog under low light how do you think the the Z7 will compare under dodgy lighting at receptions
My camera is the HVR-s270 not the Z7 but I imagine they are very similar.
The S270 will allow you to set your own db for low light up to 18db. There is a hypergain in case you have to shoot a war at night.
I have mine set now at 0db,6db and 12db. I would say the 12db on the S270 is about the same at 9db on the Dsr300 which is a good thing. However thats just by my eye and not really accurate. But it does seem to do quite well in low light and I did not see much noise at 6db and it does have a 1.8 lens, so that helps. I assume at the receptions it is all avaible light shooting? I will try and run a test on 6db and 12db and either post it or sent to you.
Jim
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jim,

I've started a thread "CMOS vs. CCD" some days ago (http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115610). Can you please have a look at http://ftp.datausa.com/imageshoppe/o...NG_SHUTTER.mov and tell us, how your S270 performes in such a situation?
Andreas Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Size of S270 next to DSR300

Took a couple of pictures of the S270 next to my DSR300 (which I am going to sell).
Gives a relation to the size difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Got mine 2 days ago-270-300a.jpg   Got mine 2 days ago-270-300b.jpg  

Old March 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Nistler View Post
Hi Jim,

I've started a thread "CMOS vs. CCD" some days ago (http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=115610). Can you please have a look at http://ftp.datausa.com/imageshoppe/o...NG_SHUTTER.mov and tell us, how your S270 performes in such a situation?
Sorry I couldn't get the 2nd link to open.
Old March 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Major Player

Pics in low light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Quinn View Post
Jim
Here are some freezes made at various db gains in a low light situation made with the S270.
Attached Thumbnails
Got mine 2 days ago-0db.jpg   Got mine 2 days ago-6db.jpg  

Got mine 2 days ago-12db.jpg   Got mine 2 days ago-0db-.jpg  

Got mine 2 days ago-21db.jpg  
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:46 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Sorry I couldn't get the 2nd link to open.
If the movie doesn't open in your browser window just copy http://ftp.datausa.com/imageshoppe/outgoing/SHUTTER_STUDIES/STROBE&ROLLING_SHUTTER.mov and choose "open URL" in Quicktime Player. It's a 10 MB file, so be a little patient.
Andreas Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Here are some freezes made at various db gains in a low light situation made with the S270.
Thanks for the stills Jim, the 21 db setting is surprisingly good, I was really impressed with that and it would blow my Z1 out of the water, thanks.

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270