Case for the Z7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 19th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Case for the Z7

A couple of times a year I have to go on the road for a corporate job. In the past I've always sent my gear with the sound guy (and would like to continue to do so). He packs my equipment away in the back of his truck while I end up flying.

If you're satisfied with your bag purchase or know of one to stay away from, I would appreciates some feedback before I pull out the credit card.

Thanks
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Hard-shell Pelican-style cases with closed-cell foam is the only way to go. I think Pelicans are overpriced, but Doskocil (what I have), Portabrace and HPRC make some equally good ones.

My Extra Large Doskocil has kept my PD150 alive and in perfect working order for over 7 years, despite all kinds of rough handling.
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #3
New Boot

hello scott!

look at my case:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=118005

regards,
clemens
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Portabrace CS-DV4 is a good soft bag fit for the camera with the mic on with good space for extra bits. I got it because it was the biggest bag I could carry on to flights.
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #5
New Boot

My Pelican 1510 has yet to let me down - carry-on size, built in trolley. The only downside is the wheel wells take up awkward spaces at the bottom of the case, so layout of the gear can be somewhat tough.
Winston Cutshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Check out Thermodyne. http://www.thermodyne-online.com/video.html

I have several of these cases and a few Pelicans. They rival Pelican quality for about 1/3 less. They make cases for the military and for sensitive equipment as well.

I think I saw a custom case for the Z7 at NAB (if they don't have one then they will make one).
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Major Player

I was looking for a case for my Z7 at NAB, but didn't have much luck. It was was one of the last things on my list and didn't get the attention it deserves. The bags we are currently using are Sony branded bags that I picked up at BH. The are around $150 each and have done a pretty good job. What I like most about them is that you can attach (via Velcro and straps) a tripod to the top of the bag. Since I usually end up parking at a hotel and having to carry two full camera setups through the hotel, I really like having everything in/on two bags.
The Z7's a just a little to big for those bags, but I haven't found a replacement yet. Anybody got suggestions?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #8
Trustee

I had a petrol bag for my V1 and the Z7 fits in it too, any bag that is designed for the Z1 will also be fine.
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

If you are quick, Ikea have some roll-along bags that fit the z7 plus all the other gizmos. £20 IIRC. The bag has ability to be padded out (filling the internal skin and floor to protect the camera). 2 large full length pockets on each side.
Paul Osborne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270