Here's footage from my CF card that Sony tested at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Here's footage from my CF card that Sony tested

Marshall, here's the footage from my CF card, I only included a little from my yard, you can see a glitch between clips, this the the last video clip coming in on the next clip, when you freeze it on the timeline you can see what it is-- the rest was shot by Sony. You can see the glitches and the auto focus problem. I haven't really tried it out a lot yet to check the focusing since they adjusted it. It still want autofocus from 20 ft away fully zoomed in. I have to turn the zoom down to 1.5 then it will focus. Just panning the camera around it seems better. But I will use manual now. The Cf card still glitches and they say to only use a 300X speed card to cure this as their card didn't do this. My friend has 2 Z7s and uses 133X and both cameras do this, I can get by with manual and the glitches as I use tape also and the glitches are only on short pre wedding shots. I will get a faster card when prices drop. I hate to pay that much difference between a 133X and 300X.
link to video I will leave it up a couple of days
http://www.vimeo.com/966996
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

So Bruce I take it this is a camera you sent in for repairs? The glitches I would say are related to the cards. I have not seen anything like this with my cards and I use all 133X. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM   #3
New Boot

No glitches with my two 16Go Sandisk Ultra 2 133X. It's probably coming from your cards.
Arnaud Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Major Player

As I mentioned on the phone, the red/green/mosaic frames are consistent with what can appear on the DR60, which has the same internal recording mechanism as the CF recorder.

What I would suggest, like what others have mentioned, is to try and use a different media card to determine if it could be the card, rather than anything else. I noticed some of these red/green frames when doing my CF test a while back, but nothing too apparent, or out of the ordinary (perhaps because I got used to it with the DR60's).

I just got two Transcend cards and will see how the perform over the next few days.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Trustee

??? To add onto my previous post I really dont know what the problem is here.

I personally see the Z7 as pro camera and way way better than the V1 I just sold.

Therefore a small glitch as the unit is coming into record is not different to a film or any other video camera coming up to speed.

In the old days and Now with pro shoots it is not possible for a VTR or any recording capture medium to be instant start.

I also found the autofocus just like my camera and perfectly acceptable on such a lens bearing in mind it is more pro like and more designed for manual useage.

Maybe I am getting old (aged 48) but I started in TV and film when 2 inch ampex video was the recording format and it took a minute of safe recording to get up to speed. Even 1-inch C format took 10 secs to be stable and good operational practices still stayed all the way to digi beta.

As for film the phrases turnover, and mark (with the old clapperboard) were then confirmed by the words rolling and speed to confirm that sound and picture were ready for the immortal words of action from the big cheese.
These are still used in many pro video shoots.

As I have said in another post to expect every single frame of a video tape to be useable is just not possible. Tender use and care of a superb camera such as the Z7 will reap great rewards we just need to understand that it is not all juts point and shoot in auto and the skills honed over the last 60 years of cinema and tv still apply to all we do in the modern world.

P.S Your pictures look great though and I still love this camera and respect it as the pro machine it is designed to be.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

i agree it's a good camera in low light

I would expect a $5,600 camera would stay in focus like my $2,500 VX2000, $3,500 FX1 and a $670 Canon HV20. I haven't really tested the focus in all the same situations as before.I'm used to manual anyway, but just wanted it to be fixed anyway. This camera is twice as good in low light as my FX1 and a little better then my VX2000. I see no grain on my HD tv at 12 db using a Sima 36 LED lite. I tried to get Sony to send me their 300x 8GB card to test but they wouldn't.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Reynolds View Post
I would expect a $5,600 camera would stay in focus like my $2,500 VX2000, $3,500 FX1 and a $670 Canon HV20. I haven't really tested the focus in all the same situations as before.I'm used to manual anyway, but just wanted it to be fixed anyway. This camera is twice as good in low light as my FX1 and a little better then my VX2000. I see no grain on my HD tv at 12 db using a Sima 36 LED lite. I tried to get Sony to send me their 300x 8GB card to test but they wouldn't.
Fair point Bruce and I appreciate your frustration with the Z7.

I got an 8gb 300x card free with my camera so will see if I can do some tests with it. OH DOH! Just forgot I cant get my CF unit to work with final cut so I suppose I share you frustrations and just hope that these are glitches on a new product and they will be resolved to all our satisfaction very soon.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Free 8gb card

I still like the camera, but a lot of us are frustrated with it. I need to test the auto focus since they said they adjusted it. Also there was a link to Sony on the internet when I bought my camera for a free 8GB card but after I received my camera in March the link went nowhere.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Major Player

The CF promotion was up for a day and then taken down a few hours later. Sony was going to do it but they pulled it and only left it valid for overseas & Canada owners/purchases. No one in the US could do it.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see any auto focus problems at all looking at the clip posted. As I understand it, most if not all AF systems use a combination of being somewhat center weighted, detecting high contrast in the frame, & where you are in the zoom range. Looking at this clip from the Sony office, there's scenes that are shot diagonally along a Z axis with varying detail, scenes that are shot head on with varying detail items with varying distances, etc. & the lighting varies as well at times. How is a cameras AF circuitry supposed to know what one wants the AF to lock onto? It's going to hunt until IT decides what IT thinks is best. Depending on the situation & if there's not enough detail and/or contrast it's going to keep hunting... it can't decide.

My point is... I think far too many people depend on using AF instead of manually focusing like they should be doing & only using AF temporarily when needed.

Those glitches, on the other hand, are an entirely different issue & are totally unacceptable :-\
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

shot the camera on autofocus and manual Monday on an engagement shoot, just captured the tape and I can't tell the auto from the manual, both look good. No hunting on auto. I don't know what Sony did but mine now seems fine. I've deleted the clip on Viemo since the autofocus problem seems to be fixed

Last edited by Bruce Reynolds; May 7th, 2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: add some information
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270