The Stress That The Z7U Issues Has Caused... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Marshall "Bulldog" Levy !!!!!!
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:08 PM   #17
Major Player

Kudo to you and Bruce! It'll be very interesting to see exactly what Sony will do and what we'll have to do.

Can't wait!
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:36 PM   #18
Inner Circle

If contrast detection is all these cameras can do, I wish they would offer auto focus zones as well as an edge highlighting system that would show what the camera has focused on. DSLRs can use phase detection, but in Nikon D300 and D3 "Live View Modes", the focus area can be selected.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #19
Major Player

Thursday Update...

Well, it's Thursday and no phone calls or emails.

Hmm.

Has the promising excitement worn off? We'll see what happens on Friday.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I have my first job tomorrow with my S270 which has the same lens, the shoot will be used on local news here in the UK over the weekend ( in DVcam) so I will ask the tech guys at ITV to monitor the quality of the pictures. I dont use auto focus and maybe the fault won't be obvious in DV cam mode, but I need to know if there is a problem with this lens. Sony need to sort it out and quick and be honest about what is going on. The main reason I buy Sony cameras is that you know they work the way they are supposed to. If that has changed then their reputation is at stake. To quote a phrase from history " The whole world is watching"!
Barry Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #21
Major Player

The shots/footage at hand with this post and others, and what Sony has confirmed, are not based on auto anything - it's all manual, which isn't good!
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #22
Major Player

Friday Update

Testing still going on, will have an update on Monday.

Hmm. Hmm. Hmm.

And to think, that I have so many events coming up, what will I use to film? Concern is slowly increasing!
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #23
Major Player

Monday 04/28 Update

Sony is sending back my camera and I should have it in the next day or so. I'll test it again to make sure everything is working as it was supposedly fixed.

I'm waiting to find out what everyone else should do, and will hopefully know on Tuesday.

Supposedly, the lens assembly had to be replaced which fixed the issue. Interesting.

I'll post again mid-week.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Levy View Post
Sony is sending back my camera and I should have it in the next day or so. I'll test it again to make sure everything is working as it was supposedly fixed.

I'm waiting to find out what everyone else should do, and will hopefully know on Tuesday.

Supposedly, the lens assembly had to be replaced which fixed the issue. Interesting.

I'll post again mid-week.
Thanks Marshall. I was wondering what they were doing. Hopefully we can just send the lens back as opposed to shipping the entire body and lens. But then I'm guessing that's just wishful thinking on my part. Maybe it has to be calibrated to the body.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #25
Major Player

Yeah, who knows. I'll post as soon as I find out anything.

All I know is that I'm happy it's coming back because I've lost so much work because of this.

But now, I'll be able to outfit it with my new redrock follow focus, rods, zylight, and whole bunch of other nonsense!
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #26
Major Player

Marshall,

You should have drawn a smiley face or something recognizable on the lens to make sure there wasn't a swaparoo (technical term)!

-Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #27
Major Player

oh no worries...they've got serial numbers and stuff to 'em. I'm real particular about sending stuff in to any company for swaps....
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #28
Major Player

Got a camera back and it seems to work fine. I easily noticed a difference in the lens and will be testing it again over the next few days.

Still waiting for a response as to what everyone else should do, but I think one of the problems is that out of all the thousands of posts and countless calls, emails, etc. I've received from owners with the problems, literally no one was active in terms of contacting Sony, or me, with the requested info. It's a shame, really, in that if Sony was/is to do a massive recall of sorts, more than a handful of owners need to make this known.

I'll update again later this week.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #29
Regular Crew

got my camera back today

This was under coments: Glitches when record short clips on CF card, Autofocus drifts,(MY COMPLAINTS)-- From Sony--Readjust lens assy, reflanged back lens, performed extensive bench tests on unit with customer CF card and our test CF card. Recorded multiple clips on cust card and ours. Tried different memory recording unit. Called customer and advice solution to his problem. Compared side by side customer unit with new unit from box. Unit works properly. The phone conversation--got the glitches on cust card but not on our card. Recommend that I use a 303X CF card instead of 133x transcend. He told me he wouldn't recommend the 133x card. I asked why does Sony say 133x is min speed when he says 303x???? They say that I use only 303x cards. I guess I will buy one and test it. He said he was rewriting software for the lens but I asked him was this for all cameras or just mine?? never did understand his ans. I will test camera on thursday and post here on the focusing.
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #30
Major Player

Call me on Thursday if you get a chance.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270