The Stress That The Z7U Issues Has Caused... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 6th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
Likewise for the V1-FX7. Even in very low light, e.g., a night market in Asia panning from something 2 feet away to a face 8 feet away and back down to the close object.
Its good, but IME not THAT good...the auto-focus on the Z1 seems a bit slow. It does get it in focus perfectly after it finishes searching, though.
Colin Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #47
Major Player

The overall answers, after literally hundreds of emails, phone calls, and countless amounts of time, the response is a hush-hush one, where if someone has a problem, they send the camera into Sony. If they don't, or they're not sure they have a problem, that's the way it is.

I'm kind of surprised, because I really thought they would have done more, but who knows. I tried!
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Marshall how is your camera that you sent in? Is everything satisfactory?

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #49
Regular Crew

I just got my "repaired" camera in and just tested it. No more blurring on the right side, but now when the focus chart is on the left the blacks are black and when it is on the right the blacks are grey..... Very Bad.....
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #50
Major Player

It seems to be working fine, but we'll see what happens when actually filming. I'm out now about to film and have a huge event this weekend. I'll report back, hopefully with positive remarks!
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #51
Regular Crew

My camera is fine on auto now

Monday was the 1st time I have gotten to really use the Z7 since I got it back from Sony in a real video shoot. Now on autofocus it seems as good as my VX2000's and FX1. I don't know what they did to it but I had no promblems on panning, shooting with objects in the foreground, different lighting, zooming in and out. The compact flash card still gives me the digital blocks. Sony had it on Cashe and I did't know it. I ened up with 2 clips with same # 1,1 2, 2 ectthe 1st clip was a couple of seconds before I turned the camera on record and had green in it. Would take a long time to just delete these extra clips. I put it back to normal and will try it wed and thur. I doing a seminar for 2 photographers here in Orlando, so I'll have a lot of different shots. Last monday I did an engagements shoot and the auto and manual were both fine. I'm happy now. I will try a faster CF card someday as Sony said they had no trouble with their 300x 8GB card with my camera and CF unit. I sugguest anyone with autofocus trouble send their camera back to Sony in NJ and have it fixed--Bruce
Bruce Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Marshall & Bruce,

You guys have no idea how many people are watching this forum closely. I too, wanna purchase the Z7, but I won't until I am absolutely sure that there's no problems with the Z7.

I am an Event Videographer and auto focus is a must, in low-light and normal light. I am not interested in manual focus.

When you guys give the green light for the Z7, then I will make my decision.
Remember the auto-focus has to be just as good, if not better then the FX1/Z1. Keep us posted gentlemen. Your troubles are our gain.

Regards...
Marco Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:17 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Sony is getting the most recent "repair" back as well as the 2nd cam that hasn't been worked on yet, but suffers from the blurred left side issue that so many people who know how to replicate it have found. I have owned and operated XL1, GL1, Vx200, pd170, FX1/Z1 cams and all have had their quirks but none that I have ever felt like I had to send in for service like this Z7 model. This cam has the potential to be the best event videographer cam ever, but the lens, which was such a positive selling feature, at this point has become a virtual boat anchor to this camera.

Hopefully they will make it right, so this camera can become the blockbuster seller that it should be and produce images at least as sharp as an $800 HC7 or HV20...
Bruce Ostrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #54
Major Player

For the post regarding the Z7 must have great auto-focus, yeah, that'd be nice, but it's not a perfect world. I don't see how anyone can, professionally, rely strictly on auto-anything. If that's the intention, I don't think that this camera is a safe bet (or many others for that matter).

Regarding the camera that I got back, it works much better than previously. The auto-focus actually seems to lock onto something, and there is no noticeable left-side blurriness.

Regarding those who have any of these issues, just send the camera in, properly note what is taking place, mention my name as they all seem to know who I am, mention these forums, and you should have a camera within a week or two.

As of now, no widespread announcement will be made because all of these issues are very sporadic with regards to who has what issue.
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #55
Regular Crew

HVR-S270U issues being addressed now?

B&H currently has the s270 on "Backorder" status. There is also this: Important Notice!
This item is temporarily not available. We have no estimated arrival date at this time.

Perhaps Sony is working on these issues now? I hope so because I'm looking at getting one but I don't want the focus problems mentioned here.
Rene Rodriguez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270