Telephoto options for the Z7 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #16
Major Player

Well, after looking at some of the wildlife images on Ofer Levy's site, I'd say just use whatever he uses. :-)
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #17
Trustee

I am now SO glad I bought up all this old nikkor glass 6 months ago!

It opens up new ideas for shooting with the Z7!
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I hear ya...
Ofer, Those pics are really nice... Those aren't frame grabs from video are they? I'm assuming those shots are stills...

So, We are looking at fully manual lenses, manual zoom, manual focus, using these lenses as if they were on a slr but know on a video camera? If thats true... awesome.
Todd Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Moen View Post
I hear ya...
Ofer, Those pics are really nice... Those aren't frame grabs from video are they? I'm assuming those shots are stills...

So, We are looking at fully manual lenses, manual zoom, manual focus, using these lenses as if they were on a slr but know on a video camera? If thats true... awesome.
Thanks Todd, all the photos on my website were taken with DSLR - mostly Canon EOS 1D Mark 2 and the still lenses - 300mm f2.8, 400 f5.6, 500 f4

I use the Nikon 300f2.8 and 400 f3.5 exactly the same way I would use stills - no camera movement and mounted on a Wimberley still camera tripod head. I have tried to mount it on my fluid head but I don't think it is a good idea even with the bar support system. I now attach the combo - Z7+300/400 lens using the lens collar - that feels much more balanced, safer and reasonable to me.

I use the Nikon 80-200 with the Z7 mounted on my fluid head withthe bar support system and it works great !

Yes, you are looking at manual everyhting ! (-:
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:07 AM   #20
Regular Crew

If there is any question or doubt about the image quality reduction when applying a DSLR lens to the Z7, be rest assured that there is none. If anything, I see a better image than the Sony stock lens. At long distances, like any super telephoto situation, heat waves from the earth are noticable. Other than that, this is an awesome situation for wildlife cinematographers.

I ordered my lens adapter from Mike Tapa, as recommended by Ofer. It was shipped and recieved at my doorstep (London to Western Nebraska) in 3 days!!!

My 10.5 - 17mm Tokina Fisheye attached to my Z7 offers a super close application. I have not figured out when I am going to use it, however, I did some tests and filmed objects that were literally 2" from the camera lens. Obviously the spherical fisheye look is eliminated with the 7X factor conversion to 75-119mm. But, man...it is pretty cool!!
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270