Alpha mount adapter - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuswendy Yasukin View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been watching this forum for quite sometime but I has not got the chance to post anything yet, so this is my first post and sorry if I sounds blunt or missed a thread that I supposed to read before I post.

I own Z7U and have been wondering what would be the difference in terms of all aspect in quality, color, DoP if we use the MTF mount directly with 35mm SLR mount with the 3rd party market 35mm Adapter such as Letus, Redrock or Brevis?

Has anyone try to compare the video result side by side?

Regards
Wen
I use the MTF adapter on my Z7. I have no experience with the other adapters you mention.
SInce the MTF is only a ring - no optics then the quality will be as good as the lens you use. I use prime Nikon SLR still lenses and I am very happy with the results. You will have the x7 crop factor which I believe doesn't exsist with the other adapters.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #47
Regular Crew

CA issue with Nikon 80-200mm lens/Z7 combo

Hi all,

I've just bought a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens and have attached it to my Z7 with a MTF adapter ring. I have noticed some chromatic aberration when zoomed right in. Has anyone else had this problem? The lens I have is the new ED version. I have attached a couple of examples.

Cheers,

Mihali
Attached Thumbnails
Alpha mount adapter-chormatic-aberration.tif   Alpha mount adapter-chormatic-aberration-2.tif  

Mihali Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihali Moore View Post
Hi all,

I've just bought a Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 lens and have attached it to my Z7 with a MTF adapter ring. I have noticed some chromatic aberration when zoomed right in. Has anyone else had this problem? The lens I have is the new ED version. I have attached a couple of examples.

Cheers,

Mihali
Hi Mihali,

I'm not sure if what I see there is chromatic abberation... don't forget that at full zoom with this lens, you're talking about a 1400 mm virtual focal length. Atmospheric effects - the same you experience when looking through 30x binoculars - may cause the strange effect. I'll let you know when I get my (second hand) 300 mm Nikon prime this weekend, if I get somthing similar.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #49
Major Player

I don't see any significant CA. Images are a bit small and not sharp enough to be able to see.

I use the Mike Tapa adapter with the same lens and get good results. No CA. I am not very happy with the bokeh of this lens though but this has nothing to do with the adapter.
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #50
Major Player

Hi,

I own a Sony HVR-Z7U and am interested in purchasing the Mike Tapa Nikon mount for my camera.

My question is:

Do I have to buy Nikon lenses that have a manual aperture ring on the lens itself? I'm asking this because I am not sure how I would control my exposure without an aperture ring on the lens.

If someone could please explain to me how this works, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

John
John Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:51 AM   #51
Trustee

Hi John I have several Nikon lenses and the ones with the manual apperture are a must.

The auto only ones stop down to f32 so its a bit impractical to use them.
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #52
Major Player

As I promised, I tested the Z7 with a Nikon 300mm f4,5 manual lens and these are the results. No chromatic abberration as far as I can see, but some turbulance of the air that causes temporary unsharpness. Generally, I'm very satisfied with the results of this virtual 2100 mm-lens!
Attached Thumbnails
Alpha mount adapter-nikon-300-mm-moon.jpg   Alpha mount adapter-nikon-300-mm-ferry.jpg  

Alpha mount adapter-nikon-300-mm-pinta.jpg  
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #53
Major Player

Has any one here bought the LA100W?

Sony Product Detail Page - LA100W

Looking at pictures of it on Sony's site, it looks like it has optics in it & iris controls.

The iris control make perfect sense, b/c most new SLR lenses don't have external control.

But what I'm wondering is what the optics are. Does anyone know? Does it take down the "7x mag" factor? (I'm guessing no, for the price point, but here is to hoping.)
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:55 AM   #54
Regular Crew

It is 7x.

Optics seemed pretty good to me but I only played with one for a few hours.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:43 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
It is 7x.

Optics seemed pretty good to me but I only played with one for a few hours.
But what do those optics do?

the MTF has no optics, so why would Sony put optics in there if it doesn't add anything to the adapter?
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:51 AM   #56
New Boot

Sony Digital Alpha

hello there, it's my first post here and i have find out a lot of things regarding video.

my Z7 just arrived to me and I have two questions:

1 has anyone tried the Sony Digital Alpha adapter and are there any shoots that the frame can be seen?

2 and what is the difference between z7p and z7e?

BWT I'm working on some video project here and as soon as they are finished i will upload the videos.

Kiqa
Kushtrim Kadriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #57
Major Player

"1 has anyone tried the Sony Digital Alpha adapter and are there any shoots that the frame can be seen?"
What do you mean "frame can be seen"?

"2 and what is the difference between z7p and z7e? "
Not 100%, but I think the Z7U is for the USA / North America, Z7P for Japan, Z7E for Europe, etc.

Some will be NTSC, others PAL; warranties are valid in the region they're marketed in; but essentially any Z7_ is the same as the next.
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #58
New Boot

frame can be seen

sorry for being a bit unclear, has any one uploaded video that was shoot with the adapter and lens in other words is it worth buying it.

Kiqa
Kushtrim Kadriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #59
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dewey View Post
Hi,

I own a Sony HVR-Z7U and am interested in purchasing the Mike Tapa Nikon mount for my camera.

My question is:

Do I have to buy Nikon lenses that have a manual aperture ring on the lens itself? I'm asking this because I am not sure how I would control my exposure without an aperture ring on the lens.

If someone could please explain to me how this works, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

John
I agree with Gary about the manual aperture ring, definitely need this for complete control over exposure. The Mike Tapa mount is great, quick and easy to use.

Cheers,
Jon
Jon Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #60
Trustee

Jon,

Mikes adaptor comes in two forms, the basic one at £135 and The Nikon G to Sony EX3 at £150 which offers control on the apertures. I prefer to use the older manual lenses which can be picked up for a song on eBay.

I have used both and they work very well with Nikon lenses over 80mm (the 55mm Micro Nikkor also works) There is a X5.4 magnification factor on lenses so make sure you have a good sturdy tripod.

Here is a short clip I put together using manual Nikkor lenses

Sony EX3 Nikon mount

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270