CF recording issue, cut off end of clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 31st, 2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Tourist

CF recording issue, cut off end of clip

This forum is such a great resource and I appreciate all the help on the following, since after many hours googling and searching threads in this forum, I have not been able to find an answer.

I recently began shooting to just my CF card and when transferring my clips to FCP I notice that all my recording times were off by 2-3 seconds. Not sure how this happened, but I am confident that it was not user error....

- I was shooting skiing, and athletes were jumping off mogul airs.
- I was recording their in run, their trick, their landing , and leaving plenty of post roll
- I was using the REC/Pause button to initiate recording ( see camera settings below )

So, when I looked at the clips in FCP, they ended as athletes were in mid air, or just about to land.

My camera settings are as follows...

- Sony Z7U
- Sandisk Extreme IV 16gb CF ( 45 mb/s )
- Camera set to " Synchronous " using the REC/PAUSE for start stop
- MCR1 set to " Synchronous " and using "Cam-link"

I am running FCP 6.0.6, on a Mac Pro, and transferred using the Sony FCP plugin.
One final note, when viewing clips from the CF on the Z7U, they are experiencing the same issue.... so I'm guessing the problem isn't FCP or my transferring.

Thanks for the help!
Jeremy Gasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Another discussion on this here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...w-seconds.html
Old January 1st, 2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Tourist

Thank you Adam! I appreciate your help!
Jeremy Gasowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Vortex Media

That problem is something I demonstrate and warn people about in my Z7U training DVD produced clear back in 2008. The camera has a lot of quirks to be aware of.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Old January 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The Z7U used to cut off two seconds at the end of clips. But due to having my two Z7U's in service (several months ago), the firmware was updated at that time. I have no idea what the firmware version number is -- and I don't know exactly all it was to have addressed. I do know, however, that whatever Sony did, both cameras now do not cut two seconds off the end of a clip as they did before (when using the MRU).

Ian
Ian Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270