Considering a Z7 after using an FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old April 7th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Considering a Z7 after using an FX1

I've used an FX1e for four years and I'm considering a new camera - the Z7 appeals to me, and the Compact Flash and built-in XLRs would be an advantage.

Is the interchangeable lens noticeably better quality than the FX1's lens, and is image quality from the Z7 better or similar to the FX1/Z1?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Matt the Z7 and S270 are way better camera's than the FX1 or Z1.

They have a nice look about them and the way sony use the chips gives superb results, the CF is a dream to use with tape as a belt and braces back-up.

You will not be disapointed if you chose a Z7 as it a lovely camera, the only down side is CMOS can be a pain if you are shooting weddings or press with a lot of flash photography.
Old April 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Gary, that sort of makes the decision for me. I'll phone up Preston's and see how much they are selling them for.

Matt

Last edited by Matt Bigwood; April 8th, 2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: mistyped
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bigwood View Post
Thanks Gary, that sort of makes the decision for me. I'll phone up Preston's and see how much they are selling them for.

Matt
Good place to buy, John Preston will give you a good deal!
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Major Player

After using PD150 and FX1 (and XDCAM HD for broadcast) I just purchased a Z7 to have a companon for XDCAM HD - you will be familiar with most of the elements - and the cam is much more lowlight sensitive than fx1...

Regards

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Uli, I've decided on the Z7 and will hopefully purchase one in the next few weeks.
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks Uli, I've decided on the Z7 and will hopefully purchase one in the next few weeks.
Shame you just missed my Z7 package with low hours, I just sold it for £4k

I do have a S270 package for sale if you can go that far?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-c...amera-kit.html

Both great cameras but we are upgrading so I have to sadly pass them on.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Gary

Thanks for the message, but I can't stretch to the S270... what camera are you upgrading to?

Matt
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Hi Gary

Thanks for the message, but I can't stretch to the S270... what camera are you upgrading to?

Matt
Either one sony 700 or three panasonic 301, it all depends on the decline of broadcast here in the UK as budgets are at rock bottom but they still expect you to have £50k worth of camera kit.
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #10
Major Player

I bought a Z7 this week and first impressions seem very good - the manual capabilities of the lens are great and a big step up from the FX1's servo focusing. The built-in XLR ports are also a bonus.

I also bought a Mike Tapa adapter for Nikon lenses - the quality of my 80-200 f2.8 is great on the Z7.

There's a short HD clip on youtube of the first shots from the camera (no audio)

YouTube - 090425z7test

I used Picture Profile 6 (film look) on the youtube clip - seems like a good effect. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Good choice Matt, but you must've had a close-up look at the Z5 while still in buying mode. Once the CF unit is on board the price of the Z5 and Z7 aren't too far apart, so what swayed you in the end?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Tom

I did think long and hard about the Z5, but the interchangeable lens on the Z7 swayed my decision - I have a number of wide aperture Nikon lenses and the MTF adapter lets me use them on the Z7.

Matt
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Looks great. I've been considering the Z7 for over a year now. Decided to wait until NAB to see if anything was announced that I should consider instead. Now it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger. I'm also an FX1 user so it's good to hear some favorable feedback from the switch.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:30 AM   #14
Major Player

The Z7 is a fantastic camera, but the Z5 - being newer - has a few advantages over it. Such as the choice of 3 colours for peaking indication, total exposure setting (shutter speed, iris, gain) with one ring (the iris ring) etc... It is also lighter as the Z7.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #15
Inner Circle

The big plus of the Z7 over the Z5 is the much faster lens, so in poor light and lots of telephoto it's markedly better. It also has that 'horizon leveller' in the v'finder which is neat - though maybe the Z5 has that as well - anyone?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270