Sony VCL-HG0872K wide angle conversion lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony VCL-HG0872K wide angle conversion lens

For all those who are looking for an affordable and good wide-angle solution for the Z7: here it is! I bought this lens - which is advertised by Sony only for the HVR-Z5! - and I'm very satisfied with it. It has a factor 0,8, full zoom-through with manual focusing possibility. The optical quality seems to be quite good from the first tests I ran, and it comes with some kind of mattebox-sunshade combination with a filter holder. It has a bayonet fitting and the cushion & barrel distortion are very limited.

I paid some 775,- euros for it, and it's worth every cent of that money. The only disadvantage is that it is a quite heavy chunk of glass, making the Z7 even more front-heavy than it already is. But I solved that problem by attaching the Hoodloupe to the monitor so that I can rest the Z7 on my right shoulder.

Watch out: the 'K' at the end of the product name is important: it means that there are several accessories included, such as the mattebox and a larger sunshade. There is a price difference of about 20% with the 'no-K' type.

As already mentioned, it also fits the HVR-Z5E. On the Sony site, ONLY the HVR-Z5E is mentioned for this lens, although is fits the Z7 perfectly... So according to Sony, this lens was made for the Z5, not for the Z7... Weird.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
For all those who are looking for an affordable and good wide-angle solution for the Z7: here it is! I bought this lens - which is advertised by Sony only for the HVR-Z5! - and I'm very satisfied with it. It has a factor 0,8, full zoom-through with manual focusing possibility. The optical quality seems to be quite good from the first tests I ran, and it comes with some kind of mattebox-sunshade combination with a filter holder. It has a bayonet fitting and the cushion & barrel distortion are very limited.

I paid some 775,- euros for it, and it's worth every cent of that money. The only disadvantage is that it is a quite heavy chunk of glass, making the Z7 even more front-heavy than it already is. But I solved that problem by attaching the Hoodloupe to the monitor so that I can rest the Z7 on my right shoulder.

Watch out: the 'K' at the end of the product name is important: it means that there are several accessories included, such as the mattebox and a larger sunshade. There is a price difference of about 20% with the 'no-K' type.

As already mentioned, it also fits the HVR-Z5E. On the Sony site, ONLY the HVR-Z5E is mentioned for this lens, although is fits the Z7 perfectly... So according to Sony, this lens was made for the Z5, not for the Z7... Weird.
Or am I missing some negative point that will only reveal itself after more extensive use? I hope not...
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Just checked a few extra things and it appears that the VCL-HG0872K wide angle conversion lens was on the market before the Z5 was! I also ran a comparative test with the two camera's and the combination of this convertor with the Z7's Zeiss lens is even slightly sharper than the combination with the Z5's Sony lens.

Probably Sony is not promoting this convertor for the Z7 because there is a dedicated wide-angle Zeiss lens for the Z7. But it works perfectly well.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Luc, that could be great news for Z7 owner's. I have the Z5 and already asked about this converter (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...-z5-video.html).
In the video I posted, there was very noticeable barrel distortion. Did you have the same result, or isn't it that noticeable at all? Could you place some test footage online? I'm still considering this lens for my Z5. Thanks!
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Good news. So does the 'K' version have a different thread the non 'K' version? It's quite a large price difference although the matte box is useful.

I found this review of the K version:
ProVideo Coalition.com: Camera Log by Adam Wilt | Founder | Pro Cameras, HDV Camera, HD Camera, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, RED, Video Camera Reviews
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derran Rootring View Post
Hi Luc, that could be great news for Z7 owner's. I have the Z5 and already asked about this converter (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...-z5-video.html).
In the video I posted, there was very noticeable barrel distortion. Did you have the same result, or isn't it that noticeable at all? Could you place some test footage online? I'm still considering this lens for my Z5. Thanks!
There is indeed noticeable barrel distortion in the full wide position, as well on the Z5 as on the Z7, but at full tele there is no visible distortion. I have a test chart comparison between the two camera's with the wide-angle concertor lens, but it's too big to post, and I have no Vimeo- or Youtube-account
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Paterson View Post
Good news. So does the 'K' version have a different thread the non 'K' version? It's quite a large price difference although the matte box is useful.

I found this review of the K version:
ProVideo Coalition.com: Camera Log by Adam Wilt | Founder | Pro Cameras, HDV Camera, HD Camera, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, RED, Video Camera Reviews
I'm not sure about the 'non-K' version, as I have only seen that on websites, but the K-version has the bayonet-mount that fixes on the outer rim of the Zeiss lens on the Z7 and the Sony lens of the Z5. I prefer that to a thread.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #8
Major Player

Here are two screenshots, of Z7 and Z5 with the convertor.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony VCL-HG0872K wide angle conversion lens-test-hvr-z5-wide.jpg   Sony VCL-HG0872K wide angle conversion lens-test-hvr-z7-wide.jpg  

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

ah, ok so 'non-K' has a thread mount, and 'K' has a bayonet mount. Thanks for the info.
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #10
Major Player

Did some more tests today and the convertor is - besides the barrel distortion at full wide-angle - very good. Superb sharpness, no loss of light, handy to use.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270