Polarising Filter for Z7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Polarising Filter for Z7

Not sure if this has been covered at another time. I can't seem to find it.

Does anyone know if you can get a polarising filter for the standard lens that fits behind the usual lens hood?

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks everyone.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Major Player

If it is about the same size as the UV filter, then you should be able to find something. If it is bigger than that, I'm guessing that you'll have to take off the lens hood.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll look for a slim one then!

Is it 72mm?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I was using a polarising filter yesterday, and certainly with mine it's impossible to use it with the lens hood on as the filter needs to be rotated to the correct position to get rid of reflections/polarise the blue sky.

My filter has a small lever on the edge to help rotate it and this would foul the lens hood if I tried to re-attach it with the polarising filter in place.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I see.

Does anyone know if the Hoya Pro HD filter will fit?
Old June 7th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The majority of popular SLR 72mm polarising filters will fit the Z7 ... and with the lens hood in position.
Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Really? - cool.

I need to take my camera down to a shop and try it I think.

Have you tried this yourself?
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Even if the polarising filter didn't have a lever (like mine does) I think it would be difficult to operate it with the lens hood in place. The only way of doing it would be to rotate the filter to the correct position and then re-attach the lens hood.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Jonathan,

Yes, I use it regularly. A Cokin filter fits perfectly and the Z7 lens hood slips on quite normally.
Stuart McAlister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Jonathan,

I use the 72mm HOYA PRO1 Digital Circular PL filter for bright blue sky shots. Adds a real punch. I use it without the lens hood as I need to twiddle the outer ring to achieve the correct effect I'm after. The best way to guage this is aim at some clouds - twirl the ring around until the clouds 'pop' out from the background - ie maximum contrast to the sky.

Here's the filter
HOYA FILTERS - The Difference is Clear

Here's a few shots I did with Z7 and filter attached - specifically the cloud/mountain time lapse bits.
http://vimeo.com/2114456

I think the only shot without the PL filter was the waterfall at 01:40 - you can see how different the sky looks there. No post effects have been added to any footage - just straight out of the Z7.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bigwood View Post
Even if the polarising filter didn't have a lever (like mine does) I think it would be difficult to operate it with the lens hood in place. The only way of doing it would be to rotate the filter to the correct position and then re-attach the lens hood.
I think this is only the case with linear filters, if you get a circular filter then you don't need to rotate it.

I think it is a good idea to have one of each, but really depends on your needs. But if you do need to pop off the lens hood, it takes half a second to take off the hood, so I wouldn't see it as that much of a problem. The Z1's lens hood takes a few seconds longer, and I could see that getting annoying.
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
I think this is only the case with linear filters, if you get a circular filter then you don't need to rotate it.
Ummmmm..... no.

You need circular for video or autofocus SLR's. You need to rotate the ring because it changes the amount of polerization the filter gives you.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #13
Regular Crew

It's a tricky one this as I need the polarising filter for a trip in a couple of weeks to Sri Lanka.

We'll be getting around by helicopter and filming from the heli as well.

I've been thinking for a long time of biting the bullet and buying a Matte Box. It seems unlikely that I'm going to be able to control a polarising filter with the hood on, so this might swing it.

What do you think?
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Major Player

I am going to get the Nikon circular polarizer for my Z7. Some of the reviews I read for the Hoya are not as good as the Nikon reviews. The retail price is similar but I think you can get Hoyas discounted more readily. The Nikon is very slim and will not vignette. The last time I shot with a circular polarizer it was on my V1. I set the orientation of the polarizer one time and never adjusted it again and I still got terrific results.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #15
Major Player

[QUOTE=Jonathan Richards;1156605]It's a tricky one this as I need the polarising filter for a trip in a couple of weeks to Sri Lanka.

We'll be getting around by helicopter and filming from the heli as well.QUOTE]

This is a little OT but have you tried shooting the camera in those conditions before? I saw a video somewhere where the guy was shooting out of a helicopter and the jello effect on the footage was insane.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270