s270 noise problem -help please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 15th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

s270 noise problem -help please

Hello.

I've got sony hvr s270 and as you know it is very good in night sooting. Now i have got problems with noise. When light is low or I am shooting black objects appears noise, although I have gain on manual and it is set at -3db.

With almost every shot I made I had problems with noise and I hate that.

I dont know why my camcorder is acting like this? What is problem here ? What should I do?

Thanks for help.
Best regards.
Primoz Lazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Go Cycle

Are you 100% sure that the AGC is set to OFF?

I have this excellent camera and never have this problem in -3db.

ALSO...make sure you Black Balance the camera.

This will insure that the blacks are true blacks and not a muddy black and gray. When gray, you will observe noise in dark areas.

You may also want to adjust the BLACK level in the profile menu as well as the gamma to "crush" the black slightly.
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Last edited by Primoz Lazar; July 17th, 2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello!

Thank you for response.

Jeah I am hundred percent sure that I have AGC on off mode.

http://www.shrani.si/f/3W/MS/3wP1shd...-fucked-up.png --> that is old image when i had AGC ON but now i have The same problem when it is at -3db except the noise isnt so strong and there is not so much white pixels.

I really dont know what to do. I dont know why noise appears also at -3db.

LOU BRUNO do you think that the image is noisy because I didnt black balanced camera ?? I cant try to set it now because I am on Holidays and I havent got camcorder near me. Thank you

Have anybody the same problem or any idea what to do?

Help me please.
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Major Player

I have a Z7 (same internals as your S270) & can tell you those blacks aren't right.

How old is the camera? If you just got it, can you return it for a new model?

If not look in the manual for all the self diagnostics. Black balance, back focus... 90% of the time electronics just need to be reset to start working correctly.

Also check to see if you're using a picture profile (scene / program mode). You can program looks into the camera & there is a chance that your black levels are just way too high.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Go Cycle

It appears to me that the camera is starving for light. My bet is that you have an ND filter set to the ON position.
Old July 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello everybody :)

I allready talked with somebody and he said to me that if camera have CMOS technology is normal if there is appearing noise at low light. He said that is weakness of SONY camcorders and they are solving that problem for a long time.

He said that you get rid of that problem with lights that have more than 5600 K.

Can you tell me if that is true because I tried every setting at sony hvr s270 and I didnt solve problem with noise which is appearing at dark objects????

Thanks for helping me.
Old July 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Here is video that I made for you. You can now watch my problem here:

YouTube - Sony HVR s270 - CMOS system test - noise problem HD

Urgently WATCH IN 720p HD !

Please comment it and tell me if you agree with me or not :D

thank you very much. Best regards Primož Lazar
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I noticed this on my Z7 a few months ago, what I have found out is. I have to adjust settings in my Picture Profile (nearly four months on and still in the dark, no pun intended)

I feel in order to use the camera in the manner it was sold to me I should not have to use a Picture Profile, I have always used my Camera without these as I am told to keep my footage as clean as I can without (PP)

I found out also (From my Previous post)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr...-me-stuck.html

it is down to the sensor and the HDV Codec, or Work flow and not my dodgy eye. I am doing some testing over the next few days, with a colleague from the BBC. I will post my results.

James
James Cairns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Major Player

It is probably YouTube or my monitor, but I can't see much noise when I watch the video.

I'd suggest play around with the profiles & see if you can get something to match what you're looking for.
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hello both of you :D

Yes James please tell me what you will find out with your collaegue.

Zach: I allready tried every settings in PICTURE PROFILE like James. I cant repair that noise. Image is never clean.

I think there is problem in CMOS system as my friend said. Do you have any idea?
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Zach Love said - "but I can't see much noise when I watch the video."

It is like Zach said MUCH noise, if I am correct in what I have found out from colleagues and this forum. HDV Codec does produce noise and the consumer has to find a work flow that suits them.

As I read when I first got my Z7 on this very forum, try and not use Picture Profiles, but in order to fix this issue. I have got to dig around in my picture profile and fix accordingly.

Can I ask at this time does it matter which Picture Profile I use and any tests I could try?

The worst part is I never saw this until moving to Final Cut 7 from 5, Gary Nattrass has helped me understand and guide me a lot and helped me realize welcome to HDV.....

James

Last edited by James Cairns; July 27th, 2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: I did the quote thingy wrong.
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi again, after doing today's test (myself) my BBC Colleague had to re-schedule to next Friday.
here is a link for my test which, I sent to Sony Prime Support UK (link is valid for 28 days from 29/07/10)

Your Big File

I believe my original conclusion is correct, it is my Mac Book Pro and Final Cut. I cut all my footage on my Mac Book, but only when I watched my test footage on my Samsung LCD. I do not see the same levels of noise as compared to on my Mac Book Pro screen.

(does anyone know of a monitor for editing and on location and is 1080p future proofing) as I believe after this test I need one.

I do get noise in my footage but this depends on my settings? I think. I see noise in some clips and from what I have found out this is normal (welcome to HDV). I got a lot out of this test and may have sent my email to Sony. Only for Sony to say all looks fine, here's hoping.

I still think it was all worth it as my warranty expires soon, so worth checking.

I have some short films on You Tube if anyone wanted a cheap laugh and see what I have learned so far, on my journey from Chef to self taught film maker - YouTube - JCdravenproductions's Channel

Cheers
James
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hello.

I watched your video tests now.

I noticed noise in every NIGHT SHOTS. That is not good. In downloadable video you can see what can extra light do. When you are using extra light you noise is not so viewable. It dissappears as I said in my previous posts.

that noise is very complicated problem :((
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Primoz, If you are talking about my Night Test footage in Glasgow. The noise in this footage is down to You Tube as they changed some settings and this affected some of my films. The noise in the original is not as bad and as it states it was my first night test, I also updated the description to say this as I did not want to lose on my Views.

The shots where just the Camera, so maybe Night Test 2?

I agree noise in the cameras is confusing, the footage is with Sony so? And in my test footage see that I need to buy lights, I will be looking at small ones I do not drive so need all the help I can get....

I will post Sony's response soon, sorry I can't help any more. I am kinda glad I did the test, only to find a Monitor and Lights on the to get list.....

James
James Cairns is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270