Recording SD or HD to Compact Flash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270
Handheld and shoulder mount versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old July 27th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Recording SD or HD to Compact Flash

Using the Z7U.

I'm trying to minimize how many Compact Flash cards I need for shooting longer events so I decided to shoot SD/DV instead of HDV.

I made the necessary changes in the camera, but when I insert the 16GB card I have, it says I can still only record 73 minutes of footage?

I read in a review that you can only record 73 minutes of footage to a 16GB CF card, regardless of whether its DV or HDV. Is this correct? If so, how on earth is this possible? 16GB is 16GB and DV should have a significantly smaller file size, no?
Pavan Moondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I guess, itīs not what you want to hear, but your camera and cards are behaving exactly as they should. DV and HDV2 (1080i) share identical bitrates, so you get the same length of recording.
Bernd Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavan Moondi View Post
DV should have a significantly smaller file size, no?
No. HDV and DV have different compression schemes but the file sizes are identical.
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #4
New Boot

appreciate the responses. Disappointed for sure, but thankfully I found a place nearby that has reasonably priced compact flash cards, so I suppose I might as well film in HDV.
Pavan Moondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

up the ante

get a 64GB --- well worth the price, over 4.5 hours of video
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #6
Major Player

They're both 25Mbps. DV was invented in the '90s along with DVCam & DVCPro, all 25Mbps.

When things started going HD, HDV was created nearly a decade later. A lot of time in the digital world & they were able to create a completely new codec in HD res but still 25Mbps.

While HDV has many limitations & faults of a codec, (4:2:0 color space & Long GOP compression), the biggest selling point is that it uses the same tapes as DV (or miniDV) & since it is at the same bit rate (25Mbps) & tape speed as DV, it was easier for manufactures & users to transition from DV to HDV & back to DV.

Now if you get a AVCHD camera you're file sizes are going to be even smaller (depending on the compression you choose). So the statement that "HD = bigger file sizes" isn't always true, what is true is the bigger the bit rate, the larger the file per min.

Progress can always be confusing, especially when it changes the rules of how things used to be.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270