New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM   #61
Inner Circle

re: New Sony NEX-EA50EH Announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Too bad this wasn't the rule with the VG20. Nex 5n and 7n sported scene profile settings which included ability to adjust saturation, sharpness and contrast. Same with the Nex VG10. VG20 shows up, without it, while Sony advertizing actually included it. Of course, the next level up, the FS100 has it again.

Why is it missing in only one camera in the line ? It was obviously a deliberate move to protect from a threat Sony perceived and had nothing to do with higher price options.
Purely marketing I expect. I am sure ALL the Sony cameras have all the capability in the on board processor. Just depends on what is decided to market ie the loaded firmware which governs what you can see in the menus etc. Certainly the older Sony's could be modified with the maintenance LANC controller and that may still be the case.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:21 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Yes, Ron, we've had similar careers ... my comments were directed toward Jalan. I edited my post indicating that.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #63
Major Player

A Different Sony NEX EA50 Promo film

Ok, so the techno music sucks!

It will be interesting to see the lens on this camera. I am not sure why it has to look odd and clunky.....the other detachable lenses on other Sony videocams are fully automatic without looking like someone tried to motorize a lens long after the fact.
Old August 27th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Dan Chung on the camcorder...

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2012/...-demonstrated/
Werner Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #65
Inner Circle

Price now down to $3600 at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887069-REG/Sony_nex_ea50h_Sony_NEX_EA50_Camcorder_with.html
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #66

Anyone know if this will shoot timelapse?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I noticed that also.

To me it makes it a no-brainer to get the NEX-EA50 vs the NEX-VG30. By the time you add the XLR adapter to the NEX-VG30 you will be at almost the same price. In addition, I am betting the NEX-EA50 has the picture profiles that the NEX-VG30 lacks. And I like the fact the batteries the NEX-EA50 uses have been around a long time and are more likely to stay that way than the ones Sony sticks into their consumer cams (VG10/VG20/VG30) and periodically changes.

What I find interesting is the NEX-VG900 + XLR adapter + the Sony servo-zoom lens totals to $5K USD. As nice as FullFrame would be, I think I would wait to see the price tag on the NEX-FS100 replacement that has to be coming to support the servo-zoom lens(es).
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
I think I would wait to see the price tag on the NEX-FS100 replacement that has to be coming to support the servo-zoom lens(es).
Not sure that Sony will replace the FS100 just to support a stills lens fitted with a motor. More likely to do a firmware update along with the option to buy the hand grip from the FS700.

Do remember that the zoom lens is based on the SAL18200 so it won't track focus throughout the zoom range. You'll have to use autofcocus to hold focus as you zoom. Without the ability to adjust the back focus/flange back you can't expect a zoom to hold focus as you zoom in and out. The power zooms at IBC definitely did not hold focus manually as you zoomed. There was a pronounced focus shift as you zoomed in and out. I was told by the engineers that this would be improved, but possibly never fully eliminated. This isn't like an EX where you can defeat the focus momentarily with crash zooms, this was a noticeable shift that did not correct itself as you zoomed.
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #69
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
I noticed that also.

To me it makes it a no-brainer to get the NEX-EA50 vs the NEX-VG30. By the time you add the XLR adapter to the NEX-VG30 you will be at almost the same price. In addition, I am betting the NEX-EA50 has the picture profiles that the NEX-VG30 lacks. And I like the fact the batteries the NEX-EA50 uses have been around a long time and are more likely to stay that way than the ones Sony sticks into their consumer cams (VG10/VG20/VG30) and periodically changes.

I tend to agree that when one adds in the cost of the bigger battery, XLR adapter and Mic, viewfinder on the LCD and likely more controls the price difference favours the NEX EA50. I just need to ensure that it has touch focus etc that makes using that zoom useful like the consumer Sony cams I now use that also do not hold focus when zooming. I also have batteries and chargers from my FX1 and NX5 as well as a FMU128 that I use with the NX5U. The combination starts to look attractive.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Not sure that Sony will replace the FS100 just to support a stills lens fitted with a motor. More likely to do a firmware update along with the option to buy the hand grip from the FS700.

Do remember that the zoom lens is based on the SAL18200 so it won't track focus throughout the zoom range. You'll have to use autofcocus to hold focus as you zoom. Without the ability to adjust the back focus/flange back you can't expect a zoom to hold focus as you zoom in and out. The power zooms at IBC definitely did not hold focus manually as you zoomed. There was a pronounced focus shift as you zoomed in and out. I was told by the engineers that this would be improved, but possibly never fully eliminated. This isn't like an EX where you can defeat the focus momentarily with crash zooms, this was a noticeable shift that did not correct itself as you zoomed.
I hope you are right, I'd like to see that available for the FS100.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
My expectation is that Sony will also be migrating the FullFrame+APS-C capabilities similar to the Alpha99/NEX-VG900 throughout the NEX-FSxxx line, along with the zoom rocker/control. Given the relative price points, they almost have to. NAB is going to be interesting next year!
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #72
Inner Circle

Sony is odd about how they update products so I'm honestly not sure what to expect.

The Sony EX1r received features that never resulted in an update to the EX3.
The F3 still uses 4:2:0 internally when they started using 4:2:2 in admittedly higher end cameras but now in the new PMWs.
You'd think the FS700 features would eventually find their way into an updated F3 (slow mo for example).
The VG series starts to move into full frame.
The EA50 has a form factor some of us would like to see across the product line.
The feature progression and release just doesn't' seem logical. I can't help but think this creates confusion in the marketplace.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Sony is odd about how they update products so I'm honestly not sure what to expect.

The Sony EX1r received features that never resulted in an update to the EX3.
The F3 still uses 4:2:0 internally when they started using 4:2:2 in admittedly higher end cameras but now in the new PMWs.
You'd think the FS700 features would eventually find their way into an updated F3 (slow mo for example).
The VG series starts to move into full frame.
The EA50 has a form factor some of us would like to see across the product line.
The feature progression and release just doesn't' seem logical. I can't help but think this creates confusion in the marketplace.
Nothing odd there really. You have to remember it takes Sony 3-4 years to develop a new camera and a year or more to do an updated version.

The EX1R was developed after the EX3 and included new hardware not in the EX3 so the EX3 could not be updated by firmware alone, the EX3 sold in lower numbers than the EX1/EX1R so perhaps is was felt this did not justify the cost of re-design.

The F3 development started not long after the EX1 and uses a lot of EX1 parts including the back end processing which is why it can't do 4:2:2 internally.

Maybe we will see an updated F3, there's certainly plenty of rumours flying around. The FS100 didn't come out at exactly the same time as the F3.

The EA50 does have an interesting form factor and perhaps we will see similar on other product lines. However when Sony made a full shoulder mount version of the EX1 (PMW-320) it wasn't one of their greatest hits. A lot of people don't want shoulder mounted cameras these days.
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Quote:

Curious to read about "pronounced focus shift." I had the FS100 and SEL18200 combo, and the latter always seemed to me to be parfocal more or less. Acceptably so for HD video anyway. Is the powered version the definitely SEL18200 with a motor, or rather Tamron's version (rebranded SEL18200LE) with a motor?
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Quote:
The EA50 does have an interesting form factor and perhaps we will see similar on other product lines. However when Sony made a full shoulder mount version of the EX1 (PMW-320) it wasn't one of their greatest hits. A lot of people don't want shoulder mounted cameras these days.
The issue with the PMW 320 is that, it's design a bit bulky. The EA50, being a smaller lighter camera base, looks like it can be used either hand held or shoulder mount. I think it's a fundamentally different approach to shoulder design than the 320. It's probably due to the small size and light weight though. The shoulder mount is in the back (not practically with a very front heavy camera) and the shoulder mount slides out. A design like that MIGHT work with FS100 or FS700 even. I think it would be harder with the F3 which would probably go the design route of the 320 which, as you note, wasn't very popular.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)