Sony nex-ea50 functionality - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 1st, 2014, 03:11 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: Sony nex-ea50 functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
just one important thing I don't understand. When in full manual how do I compensate the gain when zooming in and out?

When zooming from wide to tele in auto the camcorder adds auto gain in the picture.
But how do you do this when filming in manual? When start zooming in and the picture gets darker... do you use the gain switch to get it brighter? how do you do this to have a "smooth" zoom like in auto mode?

When the camera is in manual mode, you can still set the gain to auto by pressing the gain/iso button.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:40 PM   #47
Inner Circle

When you set any of iris, gain or shutter speed to auto the camera is now in auto with the parameters in manual at the values choosen. You can set the iris and shutterspeed manually, gain in auto and use AE shift to get the exposure you want. The camera will then maintain this offset. Most Sony cameras work this way. In auto most Sony's over expose about 0.5 to 0.7 EV so you may need to compensate by setting AE shift to -0.5 EV or so to taste. I have AE shift set this way on my NX30U and NX5U so that when switched to auto anything the setting is used. Both the NX30U and NX5U lens also ramp so I try to keep iris on the NX5U at f3.4 or smaller so that I can zoom without the ramp if my gain switch settings are not set correct for the scene I can switch to auto and know that it will have the AE shift set.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:58 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Sony's are brilliant like that! I leave my cameras in full auto and when the lens goes on it will automatically discover that it cannot communicate with the iris, IS and focus so it will switch those to manual for you but whatever it's able to still control in auto it will do so without you touching a thing. The firmware is very well programmed ... if you try to execute say, touch focus on a manual lens it will simply give you a message that you cannot use that function.

So Tom ..switch the camera to full auto, use your manual lens and then whatever the camera still can control it will do for you BUT you still have the option to turn each of the remaining auto functions off or leave them on.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #49
Major Player

sorry for the late answer. I was sick. Yes, this worked. so easy I didn't know!
Thanks all for your help guys!
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)