Apology in advance! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 29th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Apology in advance!

Hi all. Well before I left on my vaca I was all set to buy the NEX-EA50. Hot to trot. While gone, a very good friend of mine and a member here at DVi emailed me and said he was selling off his entire HM700 kit. I've known him and worked with him for many years and know the kit. After taking the week in St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba and Curacao and an unwanted extra day in Miami to ponder if it was something I wanted to consider, I made my decision to take most of his kit off his hands. For me it was a very difficult decision but in the long run I believe it will be the best camera for me. I've used the old 100 and 200 series a lot in the past and like the form factor so this is a natural for me and since I have just about weaned off of all the weddings I had booked for 2013 and converted over back to a majority of web-a-mericals, promos, MoS and talking heads I felt the 700 would be a better fit for me than the EA50.
It is with mixed emotions that I tell you all this as I really do like the EA50 but one must do what one must do.
Please do not hate me! :-0
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Apology in advance!

Are you kidding me! JCV!!!

Just kidding Don. Why apologize? It is a good camera and if your getting a good deal who cares. I don't need to remind you it is not the camera, it is the shooter that counts.

Are you a mac guy so you can use the native .mov or you going the S&S route. I have Mac but I am partial to PC and do most of my work there. Imagine that from a video guy.

I hope you will still stop by our little sub culture here in the big world of DVINFO and harass us one in awhile. I think you were mentioned several times while you were on the boat.

Take care Don. The next time I have a shoot in Chicago I am going to call on you. See the thread you started about lenses, I commented there about Chi-Town.

Steve
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Don

Tsk, tsk... An old JVC ??? I really did think that you were going to get a decent camera? Also only kidding...!!

I was looking at the HM750 at one stage but with no autofocus at all I would need another camera to do my Realty reports as manual is impossible there....also prices seemed a bit over the top for over here as well as crazy battery prices....However you can still visit this forum as the JVC one doesn't see much activity especially on the HM700 series.

That aside, hope you had a really fantastic vacation and are now relaxed and ready to roll

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I'm sure that you'll be able to find Don regularly perusing our JVC HM-series boards... we're one of the biggest online communities for that camera system anyway!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Trustee

All about the shooter & not the equipment ... as im sure you've heard a gazillion times by now.

Enjoy the new camera.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Chris

Correction..not one of the biggest, but THE biggest on most if not all cameras!! Quite correct, Don pops up everywhere so he will even pop in here too!!

Plus he will always chirp in on the wedding forum on a regular basis...he cannot seem to give them up although he has threatened to do so for many years.

The HM700 will do a good job in your hands Don since you are also an ex-JVC man plus I'm sure the offer was just too good to pass up.

Chris
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I only feel bad because I'm abandoning everyone that I told I WAS buying the EA50! ;-0 This deal came along and frankly I couldn't pass it up. The 700 has been on my list since it came out and while it's not AVCHD it does give me the opportunity to run MOV (only if a client is taking the cards off my hands for edit and tells me they want MOV) or XDCAM and that's what I'll be running 99.9% of the time. The camera also has a great lens. The 17X so it's pretty much what I would have bought new had I bought it new.
Anyway, all of you have fun with your EA50s and I'll stop by to make sure you're all behaving yourselves.
See ya on the DARK SIDE!
O|O
\--/
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Major Player

Back in the days of 3/4-inch Umatic JVC made a portable deck and two desktop tape editors. They called them the Tape Handlers. We called them the Tape Manglers. There used to be a joke: Videographer calls a repair shop and asks, "Do you fix JVC?" The tech responds, "Oh yeah, all the time." All this of couse in jest. Enjoy your HM700. I hope you got a great lens with it as well.
Old January 29th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Inner Circle

yeah they've come a long way baby haven't they? I woudn't have bought the kit if I didn't know the person selling but I have known and worked with him for a good number of years and he has always babied his gear and yeah the lens is the Fuji 17X. Best lens for the HD/HM series. I've used the 100/200 cameras with the 16 and the 14 lens and while the 14 wasn't as bad, IMO the 16 was, well, terrible but the 17...ahhhhh. good piece of glass!
I'm lokking forward to getting my hands on it.
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #10
Trustee

Since you mentioned 3/4. There was a time when advertising agency's were in love with 3/4 inch tape. I was freelancing and I got put in the tape review room before a big awards show. This woman came in with 25 tapes for me to log her cues on. She knew the material so well I said "did you do the post production on this?" She said "no, I am the bitch that sits behind the editor and tells him what to do". I laughed so hard, what a funny thing to say. But she was telling the truth. I became her next victim. I wasn't laughing anymore. I was younger then, but have never forgotten. Since then I have been in edit suites with that person (not her) on the couch behind the edit chairs. That couch is not there for casting calls. At least not for ME. I have left blood, sweat, and tears on them.

Steve
Old January 30th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #11
Major Player

I've been fortunate over the years not to have too many supervised edits.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Major Player

actually wait a tick, they do have something new
JVC Professional Features page

doesn't look half bad either
Old January 30th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Yep the 600/650 is new but for me they were the most inovated when they came out with the compact fullsized cameras. The HD100/200 series and when the introduced the HM7XX series, I had always said that if it were a 1/2inch chip it would outsell every other camera out there. The form factor is fantastic, it records MOV or MP4, has a great LCD and a really good viewfinder. To me the biggest drawback to that camera was the 16X lens. They changed to the 14X still not one of my favs, but the one I'm getting has the 17X which is the best lens possible for this camera without spending $5K+.
If they would put the 600/650 inards into the 7XX body, I think they'd have a hell of a piece.
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Hi Don

Looking at some of the new 600 footage I'm not so sure at all..I reckon you are just as good with the 700 exactly as it stands. Other 700 footage has impressed me far more than any of the new 600 footage ..they seem to be having soft issues on focus as well as not great low light!! Yep, you cannot beat the 700 form factor..it's one camera you can actually balance on your shoulder!

Are you going to sell the Sony's now and maybe find another 700?? It would be wise to drop miniDV cameras before they totally vanish from the market, otherwise they can be the strat of Don's SD museum.

Tell us when the new toy arrives on your doorstep!

Chris
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #15
Trustee

Chris,

I am the proprietor of the SD Museum. I am SD (Steve Digges). It is known as my AV bone yard. But since I run the museum I will go there often to find "some old part or something" and I always seem to come back with more than I was looking for. It is full of, wow, I can use that, stuff, what was I thinking when I retired that?

A couple of weeks ago I scrounged up an entire Sony Hi-Eight camera kit I gave to a friend of mine. Remember Hi-Eight? I thought it was pretty damn good when I paid the thousand bucks for the camcorder and accessories. Wow, look at that, 400 lines of resolution AND a flip out LCD!!!!

And hey....I keep two Canon XL2s around just for Mini DV jobs. They are dusty but not in the bone yard yet!

Don,

Did you look at my comment in your e-mount lens thread. I was wondering if there is the one in a million possibility you were on any of my gigs in Chicago? All of my labor came from the local union?

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)