Glass house - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:39 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Glass house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Moran View Post
Primes do lighten the load however.
That's one of the main reason why one should be using this camera. Eventhough the stock lens is great, you can visually get so much more out of prime lenses.
If you are into creative work being able to slap on a macro, or a super wide, a super tele and go crazy with shallow dof should a particular shot benefit from it you are entering a whole new world what can't be achieved with small sensor and fixed lens camera's.

But with talent and a simple camera like a Sony vg10 and the 18-200 stock lens you can do amazing things as well, below a video I found with the best images I have seen so far to come out of that small Sony:

Last edited by Noa Put; February 6th, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Awesome work! what tripod adapter do you have for those upwards rotating shots of the ceiling?

Really nice :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #18
Inner Circle

See image, it has my xh-a1 attached to it but just to give you an idea, you can be very creative with a slider if you want :)
Attached Thumbnails
Glass house-rotating-shot.jpg  
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Very nice - the shot looks like the camera is rotating on it's axis but it is actually offset - works well!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Noa, the one aspect of that Nikkor vid I think worth noting, is the way they've cut to the music. Notice the glockenspiel or bell sound.
Fits as a 'glass' sound.

I remember something similar, I found the perfect music track and after editing the vid, in the studio I tracked various bells at certain edit points,
building up to the product reveal.

eg: to emphasis the heat they work with, cut on the beat to extreme close-ups of the hot molten glass.
Add a cymbal crash to the track right there, the counterpoint could be, slow dissolves to the lovely finished colored glass pieces.

Some people would never notice it, but other discerning people will, and they're always the ones you play to.
A bonus is the satisfaction rating ... 10/10 :)

Philip Bloom also a great sense of rhythm and music and does that very well.

Cheers.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I have made contact with a glassblower and will meet him this monday to see what the possibilities are to do a small docu, I also contacted a user on this forum that has the same camera as I do so we could do a 2 camera shoot, maybe for an interview or so. But I was actually thinking of using only natural sound this time so will be spending a lot of time on recording sound. It's the first time I do something like this so I have no idea how it will turn out, to be continued...:)
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Whacko! (as we say in Australia mate) What a way to go! (as they say in Belgium?)

Assuming you're shooting new footage at your Glass House and you know its layout, talk to the blowers first about what they want to see,
then write a basic shooting script. Start with the history of Belgium Glass? Include some museum stills?

Work out how long your show is going to be, absolute max 20 mins. After 20 you'd better be telling the audience they just won Lotto because after that they'll literally fall asleep :)

Follow this by doing a storyboard, doesn't matter if you can't draw, just roughly sketch it. You'd be surprised how this will all start to fall together.

And I'd use music, 100% sound (location sound) won't hold the audience for the show and sound is 50-70% of what you see.
Use the interview, but break it up with him demonstrating blowing the glass, with the dramatic representations of the HEAT involved, see ^

When you're shooting the finished glass pieces, capture what's called the beauty shots. This might seem difficult, but take some lights
and totally separate from the interview, creatively light and shoot the pieces. Practice on glass items around the house first then shoot the he*l out it :)

Use some Danish classical music? as interludes, just for the beauty shots, about 15-30 seconds per segment.

As this is your first show, I'd go solo, shooting cutaways for the interview will cover it. Good luck.

Cheers.
Old February 9th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Whacko is a term we also use but it's usually for a person that's not right in the head :D

Actually I was very inspired by below video and was thinking to use the same style, not to rip off, but as an exercise on editing and sound techniques. It's very short so might not apply as a real docu but I"d like to keep it short for starters.

Old February 9th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #24
Trustee

Awesome mini documentary ... love the style.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #25
New Boot

Amazing work Noa, beautiful piece of art!
Radomir Charapich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #26
New Boot

Question: What adapter you used forCanon lenses?
Radomir Charapich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #27
Inner Circle

You do know only glass house is from me, not sound of dust? That's a level of quality I like to achieve ever :)

About the adapter I use, it's a simple kipon adapter, since most lenses I use are full manual and don't communicate with the body I don't need something like a metabones adapter.
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #28
Trustee

I knew that Noa! :D
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #29
Inner Circle

OK, next 2 shorts are in the pipeline :) I already met a glassblower to do a short doc and he agreed to make some time available but that probably will be taking a longer time to finish. That's why in the meantime I made contact with the tourism department in the city of Peer where the highest church (build in the 14th century) in that area is located which is 65m high, they call the church "the giant of the Kempen", there's is also a museum, lots of stuff in there dating back to the 16th century, like paintings.
Let's cross fingers I"m allowed to film, I send them my glass house film link which might persuade them a bit :)
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Noa, I've produced 35 docos of air museums around the world. Here's my 2 krona :)

With your glassblower doco, try and shoot the beauty shots of his or their finished glass first, before the interview and before you cut the glass shots.

That way the GB could preview your footage and make comment on them, then do the interview. There could be some time between the two.

Sorry but glassblowing is a pretty dry subect, try and include a pretty female, to maybe do the interview hold some of the pieces.
Ask around the local TV/radio outlets. New gals want the experience. In the interview, inject some fun to keep the GB smiling.

See if the Peer crowd and their museum already sell DVDs. They usually keep any competition out, and you might not get in.
Do they have an online shop?

But if they don't, you might be able to do a contra deal, whereby they stock and sell your DVD and you keep commmission.

Be prepared, if they date back to the 16th century, then they've had practice in bargaining and you'll get some Peer-pressure :)
You won't get mega-rich but you'll have a lot of fun and get heaps of experience.

The minimum duration for a saleable DVD like this is about 30 minutes.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)