561BHDV-1 suitable for the EA50? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old February 12th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Trustee

561BHDV-1 suitable for the EA50?

Will the Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 be sturdy enough to handle the EA50 w/ stock lens?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: 561BHDV-1 suitable for the EA50?

I found that the 701HDV head on it was a bit flimsy with my Sony NX70, and that's a good deal smaller and a bit lighter than the EA-50.

I added a Manfrotto 501HDV head that I had lying around and it was much better. It's still only really good for wide angle shooting, including getting above the heads of a crowd.

That's just my experience... others may differ.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi James

I'm actually fascinated why one would put a shoulder mount camera on a monopod??? Have you tried it on your shoulder at all ...it's pretty hard not to hold it steady and with a monopod you lose all the flexibility that you have handheld. I can understand a decent tripod. I would get a tripod (or monopod if that's what turns you on) that has at least 3 times the rated weight of your camera ...As far as I remember the 561 only handles around just under 4kg ... With tripods I found the heads started going funny if I used underated ones. Rather get something higher rated ( like at least 6 -8 kg camera weight for the EA-50) It's already over 2kg so for me a 4kg rated monopod is a bit light!!

My Weifeng tripods are rated at 12kg and they have lasted very well indeed but my first one started having bowl issues as it was too light ....BTW: All my units are bowl head ..so much easier to level!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for the replies.

Chris, Im so used to using my VG20 & a Canon DSLR that I only purchased the EA50 for the fact it looks super professional. Yes I know ... but what can I say, im self conscious. I hate the fact guests at a wedding own DSLR's themselves which makes the dedicated professional at the event look a bit amateur.

Anyway ... back on topic.

I don't like shoulder mounting my camera, find it very awkward. A monopod and a tripod is what Im after.

Can you guys recommend me something. Maximum I want to spend on both is around £600. It can be pre-owned.
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi James

I guess we all shoot different ways which makes life interesting!! The thing I liked most about the EA50 actually was the form factor and that I could shoot from the shoulder. Apart from 2nd cam (another EA-50) on tripod during the ceremony and speeches all my footage is on shoulder. I tried a monopod once and sold it..it was simply too cumbersome for me.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Trustee

Well I done a bit of research after your advice and I think I may have saved myself some money actually.

I bought a Manfrotto 681B ... only cost me £35 delivered. And it has a load capacity of 12KG rather than the 4KG of the 561. Yes it doesn't have legs (they are optional), or a fluid head (optional). But I think it's worth a shot at that price ...

Old February 13th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I tried a monopod once and sold it..it was simply too cumbersome for me.
The only time I use a mono pod is during bride prep and when I have a dslr on it, there is no stabilization on my dslr lenses and I can't do handheld without too much shake, monopods are then a very good solution to make your footage more stable and to work in tight spaces.

I do however find a combination of the ea50 and a monopod not beneficial for me either, it's either on a tripod or handheld. Maybe if I ever am in a situation where I have to do longer continuous shots from different positions and I don't have room for a tripod, then a monopod would be ok, but I would probably be wearing a belt where I could stick the monopod in a small holster that's attached to the belt.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #8
Trustee

Noa

What tripod do you use with your slider, if you use any at all ... ? I need one with atleast a 12kg rating.

Can any one recommend one under £300 delivered.
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #9
Inner Circle

On my slider it's a older 701rc2 manfrotto head.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Trustee

Just purchased a Manfrotto 475B for my EA50.

Load capacity of 12kg. Hope it works well ... looking forward to testing both the tripod and monopod in due course.
James Manford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)