severe moire and jitter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old March 6th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #1
New Boot

severe moire and jitter

Hi all,
recently, I replaced an AG-HMC-151 with the EA50, my A-cam is a FS100.
Over the last days, I had a chance to make some test shots and encountered severe moire effects, especially when using wide angle lenses.
Setup was EA50 with Metabones SpeedBooster and Canon EF 24-105 f 4.0 (2.8 with SpeedBooster), 1080p25, pp3, ND16

There is another one with minor problems but also annoying - again especially in the wide angel takes.

For me this is hard to accept - what do you think ? The 24-105 is a very sharp lens - maybe too much for the APSC sensor ?

As soon as possible, I will repeat the first video (building) using the FS100 and a Canon DSLR.
Torsten Keil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: severe moire and jitter

Hi Torsten, there is something else going on here as the aliasing is much worse then what I encounter and I have a suspicion the speedbooster is to blame, have you tried to shoot with and without the booster to see if that makes any difference?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #3
New Boot

Not yet, but will do so asap and get back with the results
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #4
New Boot

I replaced the video on vimeo with a new version, comparing three different lens setups (Canon EF 24-105 with and without Metabones SpeedBooster, Sony NEX 18-200 PowerZoom Kit Lens)

will redo the takes with a Sony NEX FS100 and a Canon EOS 60D
Results will be uploaded on vimeo and link posted soon
Old March 8th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Thx for your time to test this, I just downloaded the original and it looks like in the video of that buidling the moire is equally bad with or without the speedbooster, is that also what you see in the native image?

Since I was planning to get a speedbooster I was much more worried with your footage from those boats because I could see aliasing everywhere and it sometimes looked quite bad, not sure if the speedbooster does magnify the problem, especially on the wides. I"m currently holding off any purchase for sure.
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #6
New Boot

I agree, the jitter in the footage from the watergates bothers me as well. The gray building from the other video is striped so much, that you get moire even when you look at is with your naked eye ;-)
But the boats takes are nothing fancy.
I assume that there are several accumulative factors having their fingers in the pie:
1) The Canon 24-105 f4.0 is a very sharp lens - I always notice that when using then 8 X expanded focus - much sharper than the PowerZoom
2) The SpeedBooster makes a wider angle, demagnifies details while further increasing sharpness
3) The shots at the watergates where taken at contrasty lighting conditions
Anyway I am not excited, the 24-105 together with the SpeedBooster was designated as my parafocal multi-purpose EA50 lens with a reasonable focal range and constant aperture (f2.8 with the speedbooster)
I will do some more tests over the weekend with more in-artificial content.

Besides: I shoot the gray building today again, this time with the Sony NEX FS100 and the Canon EOS 60D - I will upload the footage to vimeo and put a link here
Old March 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

yes, that building is a real stress test for moire, the lines are so close together it's bound to give problems, I am very curious though about your 60d and fs100. My guess would be that the 60d has even worse moire and the fs100 has much less moire but I expect it to show a little, not completely moire free.

edit: now I am looking back at your video I see I misread what was used when, it looks like it's much worse with the speedbooster with your canon lens, no?
Old March 8th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #8
New Boot

for a reasonable evaluation I highly recommend to download the original .mov file from vimeo. Do not exclusively look at it while playing but also at freeze frames. I recommend to run the player at original size 1920x1080, also do not look only at the most critical parts of the building but also e.g. at the window frames.

P.S. just uploading the camera comparison - I left out the DSLR footage because it is so appalling that I think I did something wrong while recording.
Old March 8th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
I left out the DSLR footage because it is so appalling that I think I did something wrong while recording.
I think you didn't, the 60d should be the same as my 550d in terms of moire and that can be very bad, unless you shot at 720p which makes it much worser, my guess is that what you see is what you get.

I will download the original to check.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)