Sony Anounces 3 new E-Mount Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old August 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony Anounces 3 new E-Mount Lenses

Here is the B&H Photo (a DVINFO sponsor) page that details all three.

Sony NEX Lenses | B&H Photo Video

Steve
Old August 27th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony Anounces 3 new E-Mount Lenses

I'm quite excited about the 18-105 f4 power zoom. It would be perfect for shooting live shows in smaller venues. The kit lens is too slow for that but with f4 I would have a tad bit more light at least when I don't need the full range of the 18-200...
They were also much cheaper than I thought they'd be, expected them to be close to €1000, but at €599 they are almost affordable ;)

And I wish there was a trade-in program to exchange the silver 50mm for the new black ones... The silver lenses just look silly on the EA50...

I still dream of a 35-150 2.8 power zoom though... ;)
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I find a massive difference between F4 and smaller and my constant F2.8 lenses. They are a joy to use. So a constant F4 isn't really going to give you a huge amount of advantage when wide (actually slower than the stock lens at 18mm) but I can see the gain higher up if you tend to use high zooms.

I would be perfectly happy with a 16 -70 zoom at F2.8 in an eMount ... For wide stuff I still love my Tokina 11-16 F2.8 and at present I'm using a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 for higher zooms but that's where it ends (of course both are manual zooms and manual focus but the EA-50 does a good job with auto exposure!)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Major Player

But if you want constat aperture on the stock lens you have to set it to f6.3 if you don't want it to change when zooming. f4 then is quite a bit of a difference. Maybe then I can use 15dB of gain instead of 21dB ;)
I'd say I'm usually in the 40mm-100mm range, and the stock lens is already at f4.5 at about 30-35mm.
And as I'm filming live events with one camera, sometimes two, the power zoom is invaluable. It won't be the huge difference I would like, but hopefully a nice step.
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Trustee

Dmitry,

The fast 50MM f1.8 with the digital zoom would put you close to your working range at 75-150?

For your stage shows bringing down the ISO would compensate for the small amount of loss with the digital zoom. Just a thought.

Steve
Old August 28th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The new lenses look great but I have the 35mm 1.8 and kit lens and find it harder to manual focus with them.... turn the focus ring a 1/4 turn clockwise then a 1/4 counter and you are not back where you started .

The 18-105 is really looking good to me, and the fact that I could use it in a matte or just zoom without the balance changing is really nice

"Internal zoom and focus design helps to maintain a constant lens length with a non-rotating front element to support use of polarizing filters."
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Trustee

Ray,

Yes it zooms and focuses internally, but it is still a "servo" lens. If you are expecting it to feel and focus like a traditional all manual lens you might be disappointed. I could be wrong but I have never yet found a servo lens that focuses well manually.

Fortunately, the EA50 has an amazing focus peaking function. The best I have ever used. I run mine on yellow, fine or medium. It is spot on.

Steve
Old August 28th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri Zigany View Post
But if you want constat aperture on the stock lens you have to set it to f6.3 if you don't want it to change when zooming. f4 then is quite a bit of a difference. Maybe then I can use 15dB of gain instead of 21dB ;)
I'd say I'm usually in the 40mm-100mm range, and the stock lens is already at f4.5 at about 30-35mm.
And as I'm filming live events with one camera, sometimes two, the power zoom is invaluable. It won't be the huge difference I would like, but hopefully a nice step.
That's how I'm looking at it. I like a zoom indoors as most of the time I'm restricted in space for re-framing shots and maintaining aperture for close ups is a bonus. Also having OIS due to a lot of these shots turning freehand like when roaming around a busy restaurant or wedding. I would do more freehand work indoors if I had OIS in a lens like this but I really think its the 600 dollar price tag that gets me as for that price the lens options are beneficial to me. The other two lenses I really don't care about, I already have the silver 50mm 1.8.
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
Dmitry,

The fast 50MM f1.8 with the digital zoom would put you close to your working range at 75-150?
For your stage shows bringing down the ISO would compensate for the small amount of loss with the digital zoom. Just a thought.
I've been using the 50mm on occasions. The digital zoom is only 2x so it gives me 50-100. And the digital zoom seems to be adding artifacts I'd rather avoid, if possible... Also, I'm still hoping to soon(ish) upgrade to a FS100 or FS700, then no digital zoom will be available... But with my current financial situation, that will be a while ;)
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)