Depth of Field Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 14th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Depth of Field Question

with the kit lens, what is the depth of field wide open (3.5) and 18mm (wide) if I focus at object
a) 5 feet (and)
b) 10 feet
c) 20 feet

I'm having a difficult time testing this. Results do not seem to be consistent.

Any standard depth of field chart on the web that would be accurate for this Sony lens on the EA50?

Much thanks.
Jon R. Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Depth of Field Question

Hi Jon

Too easy!! Use this link Online Depth of Field Calculator

Any preset for APSC will work fine ...as far as I remember I use the Canon 7D one. The calculator makes life easy and you can work in feet or metres!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Chris. I used this calculator a while back I believe, thanks for reminding me. Just didn't know which camera profile to use. Thanks again....
Jon R. Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Jon

Very useful stuff and quite often it's a lot easier to switch the camera to manual focus even with the stock lens if your subject/cam distance isn't going to change very much. I find at weddings going around getting guests to say congratulations to the camera I can get focus in auto and then switch to manual as long as I know I'll have enough DOF ...that way the camera cannot focus on the background in auto (which it often does or takes a bit of time to lock on)

5' is a little tricky as you only have a DOF of 3' but step back to 10' and your DOF goes right out to 18' (6' to 24') My secret if I have to work close is a Tokina 11-16 zoom It's fast at F2.8 and as long as you are a few steps away you are always in focus so you can preset the lens. (At 10' it's in focus from 3' to infinity!!)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)