50mm Digital Zoom Test for Randy - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old October 20th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: 50mm Digital Zoom Test for Randy

Hi Steve

Same with me. I have two Nikon still camera kits mainly for Realty work during the week and with a simple adapter (mine are Novoflex) I can use all my Nikon lenses on my EA-50's

I cannot see any huge advantage buying a zoom to 300mm ...especially for weddings I very much doubt whether one would need 300mm ...the camera already has a stock lens that's 18-200 and the same sort of speed as the ones Randy mentions. At 300mm you will have to have a brute of a tripod too cos any wobble will be greatly amplified up front.

I was lucky and had a photog mate who has a huge collection of Nikon lenses so I simply spend some time trying them on the EA-50 and seeing what worked best!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Trustee

ok I guess I was thinking first of all with the metabones speed booster the Tameron would be more of a 18-250 ish and would be at 2.8-4.0 which would be enough light and wouldnt be that much heavier than what I have now. Am I wrong?How about this guy?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149629-USA/Canon_2562A002AA_EF_28_135mm_f_3_5_5_6_IS.html
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Trustee

Got some good news a photographer friend gave me a lens today, He was going to trash it because he couldnt use it anymore. Its a 80-200 @ 2.8 its a Nikon so all I need now is a adapter and maybe a 17-50. Also I need to figure out if I should put out the extra money for the speed booster and get the wider image or just get a regular adapter.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:58 AM   #19
Trustee

Hey Randy,

It seems like your looking at everything except lenses that are made for your camera.

Check this one out if you have not already looked at it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1001011-REG/sony_selp18105g_18_105mm_f_4_g_lens.html
It is a new release that is made for your camera. And it stays F4 from 18-105 MM

And it is a optical stabilized power zoom for $600.00 No adapter required.

Similar to what you have, yes, but better. At 105mm you will still be at f4 and it seems to me your objective here is to gain light when you need it. It think you will gain about two stops at 105mm over our kit lens. Does anyone know exactly what stop we are at with the kit lens at 105mm. I don't have time to look. F4 is not super bright but 2 stops is huge when you need it!

Steve

Edit: We posted at the same time. I did not see your Nikon post when I wrote this.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Trustee

Steve,
I did see that lens and im considering it I like the fact that it is a lens for my camera. I am going to use the 80-200 for dark ceremonys and the stock lens for now. I am hoping that we may see more NEX lenses on the horrizon if not that Sony may be mine:) I wish it was at 2.8 though.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:21 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

F2.8 for me really works well in low light situations. Steve I think the stock lens is only at F5 at around 100mm but F4 is F4 so that will be faster. At 105mm I'm doubting whether one would be needing a power zoom anyway so a manual lens and zoom is usually enough for me. You really only need to frame/re-frame ... I think the only time I seriously use the power zoom is during the signing where I can do a very slow zoom down to the document and then out again. With the EA-50 you are only likely to have to up the gain around 6db on the slower lens which is fine going from say, 15db to 21db BUT if you are at 21db or higher then it does become an issue.

Randy is your Nikon a constant F2.8 or not? They make an awesome 70 -200 zoom that's F2.8 thruout but it's pricey at over $2000!!!

Chris
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #22
Trustee

yes its a constant 2.8, Even though I dont "need" power zoom I still like the idea of a actual compatible lens. Auto Focus, full control etc. so I MAY get the 17-100 for receptions and keep the 80-200 for dark churches.
Old February 5th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #23
Major Player

I just read this older post because I want to buy a extra lens for zoom. First I thought to buy the new powerzoom lens from sony with F4 aperture. But yesterday I tested again the stocklens in lower light and I found it better than I thought.So no need for the other powerzoom lens.

So the zoom reach of 11x will be mostly enough. So I was thinking of the tamron af sp 28-75mm f/2.8
On the nex -ea50 this will be a 50mm-110mm or something?

I have a eos to nex adapter so I better take a tamron for canon?
Works autofocus on the nex-ea50 with this lens?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

Even with the Metabones Smart Adapter III there are some lenses with a Canon mount like the Tamrons that actually don't communicate correctly with the EA-50 ..Check the post here on the Metabones to make sure yours will work.

Are you looking for a fast zoom then or a big range?? My Tamron 17-50 (also constant F2.8) is my favourite. Depends what you are shooting but at weddings I seldom need more than 50mm anyway as I normally work close. It's also my favourite Nikon still lens!!!

I had a 19mm Sigma e-Mount lens and the autofocus was poor .... You can always focus manually unless you are filming stuff with lots of motion/movement

Chris
Old February 6th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #25
Major Player

Hi Chris,

I want a faster zoomlens than the stocklens. When the communion starts again within less then 3 months maybe the stocklens will be not fast enough.

About I filmed this test.This is bonus material for the dvd after it. The boy right is my son that will do his communion. So I also will film my own son that day in the church.

Filmed with the stocklens at 21db without zooming. It was dark that day in the church. So I'm afraid if the final day arrives and it will be again that dark, zooming with the stocklens will be impossible.

I hope you understand the situation. I only film 2 or 3 communions a year, never film weddings. Maybe if they ask me one day...

I also read here people uses old konica minolta lenses. I can find them really cheap second hand. You have LA-EA1/EA2 adapters for this and even much cheaper ones on ebay. Maybe I have to look for that? I really don't know.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)