Matching the EA50 to the 5N - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 4th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Matching the EA50 to the 5N

Sorry about that, the blog is being fixed. I had to switch servers and the blog got screwed up.
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

ahhh, bum hats. ok well no worries. sorry you are having troubles!
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Major Player

James manford,
i´m interested to know why you changed cameras so often! I can understand buying a fs100 if a great opportunity arose. But jumping from a vg20 to an ea50 and then to a cx760, what was the thinking behind that? did you notice that the ea50 was significantly better than the vg20? an the cx760 was a better b cam than the vg20?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #19
Trustee

Hi Andrew

I haven't been in the wedding business long ... this is my third year in fact.

I always wanted an FS100 but couldn't afford it, so had to start off with something good enough and work towards one.

The members of this forum and another forum I regularly visit have been amazing sharing tips, tricks and advice. It really helped me decide what cameras to use/buy.

I would never have moved on to an EA50 from my VG's. But for the ergonomics, picture profiles and how professional the body looked, I did. It also enabled me to do two corporate events with confidence as well as weddings. Prior to my EA50, with my VG's I would get the odd person question the cameras I was using (I would assume due to their small size and the fact it has 'handycam' plastered on the side) almost implying they don't look professional. Funnily enough NO ONE has actually said they don't look professional, but I felt that way.

So anyway, the opportunity came to buy an FS100 at the end of this year, so I sold my EA50.

Now I can't wait to use my FS100 at weddings this year :)

The FS100 is the same size as a DSLR basically without the top handle, microphone and handgrip attached ... but with all that on, it looks professional enough for corporate stuff. Perfect for my needs. Not to mention the obvious ... produces spectacular results.

The main difference between the EA50 and FS100 I found is the obvious better low light results. But the codec of the FS100 is another level ... you can REALLY push the grading on it. The codec on the EA50 would show artifacts if you pushed it too much (but it was still much better than the VG20 in my opinion because of the picture profiles), but the FS100 you can really push it ...

The CX760 was purchased due to Noa (on this forum) showing what it was capable off ... he should get paid by Sony for showing off that camcorder to be honest lol - it really is a gem. And the fact it's my B cam, I couldn't really care how professional it looks. It does the job. That's what matters ... I use it on manual, but I can confidently leave it on 'Auto' everything.

At the end of this year, I might pick up my third camcorder for yet another angle. Not sure yet.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #20
Major Player

a nex5 or nex7 would be a good b-cam for a nex-ea50. The nex7 doesn't have these overheating issues?
I read the nex5 is better in low light then a nex7 ?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)