How do you mount your 70-200mm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 8th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Trustee

How do you mount your 70-200mm?

Hi guys,

I'm about to get myself an EA50 and am putting together a list of things I'll need. I am curious how you guys (or girls!) using Canon lenses & adapters are mounting the 70-200 camera/lens combo on a tripod? Is the lens mount strong enough to hold the weight of the 70-200 f2.8 (non-IS version)? Or have you got a rail/lens support set up as well? If so what rails/support are you using?
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: How do you mount your 70-200mm?

The mount is plenty strong enough for that lens and the Metabones adapter you will need.

Steve
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi John

I have had pretty large lenses on my two EA-50's with no issues .. The Sigma 24-70 clocks in at almost a kilo but I've also played with really big long Nikon lenses with no issues. Just don't buy a cheap Chinese adapter!! Mine went into the bin after a week and I bought two Novoflex adapters from Germany and they have worked really well. The mount on the camera looks really tough anyway as Steven says!

Good choice of camera .. I have been more than delighted with my two!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Steven and Chris!

I'll definitely be getting a quality adapter - most likely the Metabones, though I haven't decided yet If I'll go for the Speedbooster or the regular version. I look forward to not having to swap the tripod plate from body to lens every time I change lenses!

Chris, out of curiosity, which longer Nikon lenses have you mounted?
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi John

The biggest I use and own are mainly Tokina Super Wide 11-16 and Tamron 17-50 both Constant F2.8 lenses cos they are good for low light use .. I have no use for super zooms at weddings but my regular photog is a Nikon user and has a huge selection of primes and zooms ... the 80-400 worked nicely on the EA-50 and that didn't seem to put any pressure on my adapter at all and that feels close to about 1.5kg !!!

I didn't go the Metabones route as at that time they were having grave issues with the EA-50 and being able to communicate and a dumb adapter from them was still a ridiculous price (over $600!!) I'm not sure if they have come down now but that's only $100 less than my Tokina 11-16 price so I'd rather buy another lens.

Since I have two EA-50's and often use Nikon mount lenses on both at the same time I need two adapters so I opted for Novoflex ..they are beautiful works of German engineering and fit the camera and lenses like original gear and have aperture control too. I think they were well worth the 195 Euro each that I paid for them and they have behaved flawlessly now for a year! I don't have an awful amount of faith in the precision of South East Asian machining and tolerances and a lot of adapters out there are so badly out they don't even go onto either the lens or the camera!!! My Novoflex units feel like they are not even there and lens changing is effortless and precise ...However that's just me!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi,

i used several EF mount lenses on my EA50 (which was replaced with a FS100 lately) with the regular Metabones Smart Adapter and the Speedbooster. Both work without any flaws (now also on my FS100).

The Tokina 28-70/2,8 is heavy and i think it's gonna work without damaging the mount.
Same for the Canon 17-55/2,8.

But the old black Canon 80-200/2,8L is a beast. I put it on the EA50 once without any support and I didn't feel comfortable anymore. I plan to buy a small baseplate with light mattebox and lens support for better support of heavy lenses.
Erik Wittbusch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)