Promo filmed on EA50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old January 9th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Promo filmed on EA50

Hi there

I filmed 90% of this on my EA50, Gopro is GoPro and SteadyCam is a 5D. No Picture Profile, Colour done in FCPX and Magic Bullet Looks. Stock Lens and Sony 50mm f1:8. Hope you enjoy...

Dave Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Promo filmed on EA50

Very nice Dave. The editing and voice over makes it a great showreel.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
Sam Pirnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Really impressive, looks superb.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Great Dave

Nice shots ! Hopefully the photog paid you BIG bucks for that promo!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Many thanks lads - glad you like, it's a great, versatile camera with very little to dislike.
Old January 12th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

Over my career I have always been able to create a wish list for new cameras I have bought. A sort of "If only they had included ......"

The EA-50 was my very first that I had that I struggled to find fault with and create any sort of wish list. Sony seemed to be one step ahead and all the stuff that was omitted on my last Panasonics, they included and more.

After a year of operation on both cameras I must say that I'm still delighted ... of course a few crazy extras would be nice like the stock lens being 18-200mm at a constant F2.8!! I think the only thing that I got used to on my Panasonics was the fact that I could set my timecode to reset after each clip so I always knew how many minutes I had filmed of the current clip ...I haven't found a way to do this with the EA-50 at all .... Anyone discovered a way to do this??? I can live without it !

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Very nice. How did you get the overhead shots at 1:42? Any reason for motion tracking the text to the face/sunglasses? The z-space through me off a bit. His image at 1:15 is spectacular, my favorite one.
Tony Maceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Very impressive!!!
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Trustee

Great reel Dave! I liked that it introduced him as a person and not just his images.

Steve
Old January 14th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Awesome seeing all those cameras can cut together so well when someone capable is in control
Chris Quevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Regular Crew

If ya film GoPro in protune mode you can match it up a lot better - ;)
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Maceo View Post
Very nice. How did you get the overhead shots at 1:42? Any reason for motion tracking the text to the face/sunglasses? The z-space through me off a bit. His image at 1:15 is spectacular, my favorite one.
We used a drone for those shots, I like to use drones but never too much or it looks like a floppy attempt at a bond movie. Yeah simply that the photographer had that text effect specifically in mind from seeing a movie somewhere. Its OTT but the client loved it. I didn't like him wearing the glasses but he was nervous and felt better with them on so we attached the text to them. Did you see the groom in the reflection of that shot at 1:15 - nice trick he did there.
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Dave

Over my career I have always been able to create a wish list for new cameras I have bought. A sort of "If only they had included ......"

The EA-50 was my very first that I had that I struggled to find fault with and create any sort of wish list. Sony seemed to be one step ahead and all the stuff that was omitted on my last Panasonics, they included and more.

After a year of operation on both cameras I must say that I'm still delighted ... of course a few crazy extras would be nice like the stock lens being 18-200mm at a constant F2.8!! I think the only thing that I got used to on my Panasonics was the fact that I could set my timecode to reset after each clip so I always knew how many minutes I had filmed of the current clip ...I haven't found a way to do this with the EA-50 at all .... Anyone discovered a way to do this??? I can live without it !

Chris
I agree Chris, yes the stock lens is the only real let down. Mine seems so bloomin dark, like unnaturally so. It's weird cos when I switch the camara on I get a flash on the LCD of how I'd like the stock lens to look, then after a split second it goes dark again. Shooting indoors is horrible. Has anyone else noticed this? NO Idea about the timecode - I found that odd but not disastrous.
Old January 15th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Dave

Mine does that too! Maybe it applies full gain with the lens wise open and then corrects it or maybe the iris stays fuller open than normal and then stops down to F3,5 in a dark environment...the image on startup doesn't appear to have any noise on it so maybe it is, in fact, the fact that the iris is statically in a DOF preview condition which is brighter than F3.5 but mechanically it cannot open that wide. I didn't check if you do a startup in full manual which should keep the electronics from adjusting the iris.

Over here we do have more than enough light except at very dark wedding receptions and then I snap on my F2.8 zoom which is constant thruout the range. I wonder why Sony limited the aperture to F3.5? Most fixed lens prosumer video cameras can open up to at least F1.8 ... maybe it's due to the big sensor and your tiny DOF if the lens was faster??

I can live with no timecode that resets on each clip ...it's only laziness on my part ...if I limit my clip lengths to under 12 minutes they don't split the file which means I can copy straight from the card to a folder and not have to worry about going thru the Sony Content Utility to re-join split files.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)