Anything new with picture profiles? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 16th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Anything new with picture profiles?

Actually, a good matte box makes changing lenses a breeze. I'm not too proud to use a thousand dollars worth of Schneider Optics 4x4" glass filters in a $99 Fotga DP3000 'swing away' model. With a short range zoom on the camera for regular work, (one that doesn't extend more than a centimetre or so is essential!) you can swing the matte box out, put on a longer prime and you only need one set of filters, irrespective of your different lens diameters.
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:40 PM   #17
Regular Crew

what profile is this video
most of them are? http://philipbloom.net/2012/03/07/pi...ony-nex-fs100/
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:50 PM   #18
Inner Circle

You can ask Ian on directly on vimeo for picture profiles, I"m sure he"ll respond to you, you also have to consider that a tamron lens was used, I have the same one (a adaptall II 80-200) and it has a different way how it renders colour. It doesn't have the same deep blacks as the panasonic lenses have, on a test chart I saw that blacks where more "milky" and had some blue colour bleeding through it plus they are also softer. But they give a special character to your image.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have sent e-mails to Ian but I do not have answers
Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Below is the video where the preset was used for but the link to the profile settings itself doesn't work anymore but I found the post that has the pictureprofiles, it's for the fs100 but you should be able to dial those in for your ea50 as well.

Check the blogpost here with the profile settings: “CPF-LOG” PICTURE PROFILE for the SONY NEX-FS100 with LUT! | Crooked Path Films

and here is the video the profile was used on:
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 12:26 PM   #21
Regular Crew

where is CPF-LOG_LUT_PremierePC.prfpset from this link “CPF-LOG” PICTURE PROFILE for the SONY NEX-FS100 with LUT! | Crooked Path Films
look in ian video at 00.53 -- 00.56 see the cables there is no trace moire and aliasing I think he has to do the picture profile but what exactly is?
Question the video ian is with graded or ungraded?
Old November 14th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #22
Major Player

read this topic over again/ Can I say that pp3 is the best for indoors? I always shoot on "no pp" but it lacks sharpness. It is for filming a stage show in low light.
just tested pp3 against no profile. The pp3 is brighter. When corrected this in post (made it darker) it looks sharper than the default setting.

Are the picture profiles the same in the nex-ea50 and the HXR-NX3/HXR-NX5? -> just checked it and the pp3 for example are the same on the nx3 and nex-ea50.

Think I must go through all the threads about picture profiles.

Last edited by Tom Van den Berghe; November 14th, 2014 at 01:07 PM.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

Shoot in PS mode 1080 50P and use the PP3 preset ... the only thing worth doing is to lift the colour level from zero to around +3 for indoors ...for outdoor shots I use +4 ..other than that it is definitely the best PP for overall shoots. Be careful with "no profile" ..the camera lets the black level run totally wild which you don't want ...On very deep shadows and dark clothing you will lose ALL detail!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #24
Major Player

thx Chris. I see it's a lot brighter dan the "no profile" one. So this means you can add less gain when shooting indoors?

On "no profile" you can't see which settings this uses. But even with the pp3 is sharpness set to zero?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)