Speed Booster - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 29th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #46
Trustee

Re: Speed Booster

Craig, I agree that they are highly misunderstood. This thread has become a good example of misinformation about them. They are not just for full frame lenses. They are not hard or fussy about attachment, but there is a proper way to do it. They are not just for adapting old classic lenses. I use the smart adapter on my Canon EF lenses and it works great. Even at 16mm because it does not have the focal reducer element in it.

They are a very versatile tool. Even though they are a simple adapter you still need to understand how it works. I'm still not sure if Randy knows it has a green mode and an advanced mode? Those things are activated by how you attach it. You can also choose which one you want for a default. The green mode is useless for EA50 shooters, it is not there for us.

I don't like to see people who may benefit from a good piece of gear get steered away from it because of bad info on a forum but it happens all the time. I am not saying they don't have quirks. In fact, I think Gabe is one who has battled with them? Did you ever get everything working for you Gabe?

My bottom line is this: for $400.00 I am able to use about $10,000.00 worth of Canon glass on my EA50. I think that is a damn good deal. They are not for everyone, but if you already owned the glass or want glass that will work on a SLR body and your NEX body they can't be beat.

Steve
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Steven wrote: "My bottom line is this: for $400.00 I am able to use about $10,000.00 worth of Canon glass on my EA50. I think that is a damn good deal. They are not for everyone, but if you already owned the glass or want glass that will work on a SLR body and your NEX body they can't be beat."

Precisely. In my case: "for $400.00 I am able to use about $10,000.00 worth of Carl Zeiss glass on my VG20. I think that is a damn good deal. They are not for everyone, but if you already owned the glass or want glass that will work on an SLR body, APS-C (or MFT body with the correct model), they can't be beat."
Craig Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #48
Trustee

The reason I started this thread was to try and get through a lot of the mis information. After getting into it I realized that there are so many different types of users that I couldnt get a straight answer of how it effected me personally so I just went ahead and bought one. I am happy with my purchase and I hope to find a lens that is wide but doesn't vignette with it.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:54 PM   #49
Trustee

Just to update you guys if you are looking at a speed booster, My photographer friend let me at his collection of old lenses. I was like a kid in a candy store, He had a old Nikon 28-105 at 3.5-5 and it worked great it was brighter and the lens had a good feel. He gave it to me. Then I tried a 18-200 like the stock lens but now its brighter and a bit wider. He gave me that one to. The third one was a wide angle 13 mm @ 1.4 that would mount on the speed booster but was nice for special stuff. fortunately for me all these lenses were broken with problems that he couldnt use but I could:) focus motors, zoom motors or just wouldnt communicate with the camera anymore. If I try any more lenses I will add them to the list so you guys can get an idea of what works and what doesnt.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)