Sigma 18-35 F1.8 -Absolute Magic! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old November 11th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Sigma 18-35 F1.8 -Absolute Magic!

Hi Tom Van den,

Thank you for that video post. It may not have helped Noa, but I got some awesome information from it.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #32
Regular Crew

i believe the main reason some small sensor camera cam have same sensibility/noise as some large sensors is because large sensors as EA50 do not use all pixels, so you don't get the full benefit.

take a picture and record a video of the same scene. then resize the picture to 1920xXXXX. the picture will be much much better than the video. (and is not because of the compression)

a camera to fully use the 16mp and resize to full-hd size would consume much more power and generate a lot of heat. so they tho this.
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:29 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. View Post
It may not have helped Noa
In what way should it have helped me? Toms statement: "the samyang F1.4 becomes a F1.4 x 1.6 crop = F2.24 on my nex-ea50" is not correct at all, the cropfactor off his camera's sensor has no effect on the f-stop of whatever lens he adds onto his camera, that was all what I was saying, a samyang f1.4 or a sigma f1.4 on his camera will have the same sensitivity, the cropfactor does not change this. There is only one adapter that has a effect on the focal length and the f-stop and that is a speedbooster.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #34
Major Player

Hi Noa,

It was not a derogatory remark I just wanted to thank Tom for posting it. I'm new to he whole crop and full frame world and I'm learning a lot. My statement was to say, even though it did not answer Noa's question, i got a lot from the video. That's all bro...
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #35
Regular Crew

the crop factor affects the depth of field and the light gathering "per-pixel", reflecting on the ISO performance.

the "F1.4 x 1.6 crop = F2.24" is applicable to the bokeh. want the same background blur? a f1.8 lens on crop factor will give similar results as a f2.8 on full-frame.

on the ISO side, a full-frame have usually a 1 stop better ISO performance, (ISO 3200 on full-frame looks like 1600 on crop). but as i mentioned, the fact the camera does not use all pixels for video capture, the result is not as expected.

of course, if you use an adapter as metabones speedboster, the full-frame vs. crop results will be almost the same, as concentrating the light on the smaller sensor "fixes" the focal length, add the extra stop of light, and gives the extra "missing" bokeh ;)
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #36
Inner Circle

Just a small point here ... Sony cameras have a different size APSC sensor compared to Nikon (which is also the same as the Sony) Crop factor is in fact 1.5 not 1.6

I'm not going to argue here but my Nikon 28-75 F2.8 Full frame lens needs more light than my Nikon DX 17-50 F2.8 with both set at 35mm ... go figure ?
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #37
Major Player

Noa,

thanks for correction. The video was misleading for me.
And Like Chris and someone else said. The nex-ea50 has many pixels and because of that it is putted on a big chip. Less sensitive unless you use a fast lens on it.

But the nex-ea50 will always gives a better depth of field (blurry background) than a normal sized sensor. (or much easier) That's the reason why I bought it.

But why can handle the aps-c sensor higher gains/iso? Because of the big sensor?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 02:57 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jones Sr. View Post
My statement was to say, even though it did not answer Noa's question, i got a lot from the video. That's all bro...
No problem :) I do know a bit about the technical side of videocamera's/lenses from shooting with different size sensors camera's and lenses but I didn't see any difference from using a full frame samyang lens compared to a MFT lens with the same f-stop when it comes to lightsensitivity when using both on the same camera. The cropfactor has a influence on the field of view and the bokeh so a 35mm will look much wider on a full frame camera then on a MFT camera and at the same f-stop the bokeh will be much more pronounced as well on the full frame camera.

Quote:
I'm still waiting if someone can explain me why a 3x 1/3inch camcorder can perform better in low light than the nex-ea50 with a fast 1.4 lens on it.
Tom, is this comparison done at the same f-stops? My cx730 is also quite sensitive when the lens is wide open and at 24db and can keep up with my dslr up to almost 6400 iso at f2.8, but not at f1.4, then the difference becomes quite noticeable.
Old November 12th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #39
Major Player

Noa,

the test in the video was the NEX-EA50 @ F1.4, iris full open, shutter 1/50 and my new hxr-nx3 @F1.6, itis full open and 1/50 shutter. So when both in auto the nx3 needed less gain! (yes I checked the settings and both were 1/50 and iris full open)

Like Chris said they put so many pixels in the nex-ea50 so it became less sensitive.
the nex-ea50 has 13,6 million pixels for video and the hxr-nx3 has 2,07million pixels for that.

But still not understand why the nex-ea50 can handles much higher gains without too much noise? @21db it is still decent the noise. I doubt my hxr-nx3 can handle that high gains.
Old November 13th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #40
Austinite

These were on back order from July - November. They are just starting to ship again. Let me know if you need a Nikon or EF mount. We have both coming.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
You are not understanding it right, what he compares in the video is the difference between full frame, aps-c and m4/3 sensors which all have different cropfactors giving you a different frame on the same lens and which also affects the dof and how shallow that will be. No matter what type of lens you put on your camera, f1.4 stays 1.4, it will not be more light sensitive.
Except that, because a crop factor has a smaller sensor, and thus reads less light, if you wanted the same exposure settings, the same brightness to your image, you'd still have to factor the crop factor on your aperture or ISO.

All other things being equal, my 5d Mark ii at f/4 will be about the same amount of light on the metering as my 70D at f/2.8. Or I can set both their apertures the same ad up the ISO on my 70D.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #42
Major Player

but why can handle the nex-ea50 higher iso/gains without adding too much noise?
It's a APS-C sensor but with (too) many pixels on it -> pixels are smaller.
Old November 14th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
Except that, because a crop factor has a smaller sensor
That was not my point, Tom thought the cropfactor applied to the aperture if you would use a full frame vs a non full frame lens on the same camera.
Old November 14th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
That was not my point, Tom thought the cropfactor applied to the aperture if you would use a full frame vs a non full frame lens on the same camera.
Doesn't it? To achieve all the same results between the two cameras (amount of light, DOF) you can't leave the aperture the same.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:44 AM   #45
Inner Circle

No it doesn't, I said on the same camera. Tom thought that a full frame lens vs a non full frame lens on his camera would give him better low light performance if both where set at the same f-stop.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)