Picture Profile PP3 samples at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old May 25th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Picture Profile PP3 samples

Hi Guys

This is mainly for Pete Rush to compare against his PP3 screen grabs that were smearing yellows

I have attached 4 1920x1080 frame grabs .. Image PP31 is just PP3 with the Colour Level pushed +2, Image PP32 is the same frame with the outdoor saturation corrected in Sony Vegas. Image PP33 is an indoor shot at the reception with uncorrected PP3 and Image PP34 is a corrected frame in post with the saturation level boosted only 50% od what I boost in Vegas for outdoor shots.

Pete?? These look a lot flatter in colour than your samples you posted or am I wrong?? Yours already looked pretty much ready to use. Would that be because 50P produces maybe more saturation than 50i footage??

Give me your thoughts ?

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Picture Profile PP3 samples-pp31.jpg   Picture Profile PP3 samples-pp32.jpg  

Picture Profile PP3 samples-pp33.jpg   Picture Profile PP3 samples-pp34.jpg  

Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Picture Profile PP3 samples

Thanks Chris - I'm just recovering from a monster weekend so I'll look later today :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Chris I think your indoor PP3 shots are similar to mine - very flat and need lifting - A apply a setting of 120% saturation using the fast colour corrector in PPro and adjust the input levels a little to give it a little 'punch' and restore some contrast - never use the 'brightness and contrast' filter though as it's quite destructive - levels are better for this job.

For some reason though my outdoor shots using PP3 seem to need less in the way of adjustment.
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

Did you find out why the yellow top was smearing at all?? That was a concern I thought!

Now, I find the complete opposite to you. I did a Church wedding on Saturday and the indoor shots needed very little boosting but the outdoor shots were very flat indeed (probably due to the rain?)

When I'm doing colour correction I tend not to use levels at all ...I was told use the Corrector in Sony Vegas and adjust Saturation, Gamma and Gain. However I do have Brightness and Contrast (never us e that!) and also levels so I must play with that as sometimes my footage needs a little bit of punch!!

Chris
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Chris since I wanted to do some tests the heavens have opened and that's made it impossible - I'm waiting for a bright day to deliberately blow out some saturated colours and see what happens.

Using the levels and saturation parameters in the colour corrector in PPro really can make your colours pop - plus using secondary colour correction for a certain range of hues.

Regarding getting the contrast right in Premiere, you should never use 'brightness and contrast' - here's a simple explanation of why (for Premiere but I'm guessing the same applies in Vegas

Pete
Old May 28th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

That's a very comprehensive video so thanks for that. Sony Vegas has a levels plug in exactly the same but also has a colour corrector which allows you to adjust gamma on it's own ...it just means my controls might need two corrections if the DR goes out of range but it seldom does and I normally get away with just a gamma adjustment which, as the video says, keeps your DR intact.

We are having UK weather too and I think I managed about 10 minutes of blue sky today ...Apart from that it's been raining and cloudy for 3 weeks now! Highest rainfall for May in 9 years!! and we seldom have Autumn rain too !!

Keep me updated on the colour smear mystery ... gotta clean my sensor ..I found 9 dust spots and a smear on a sky sot today so waiting for the cleaning kit now.

Chris
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Well I've just filmed 2 weddings with no profile apart from indoors where I use PP3 (slightly lifted saturation) and I'm finding that outdoors - especially in scenes of high contrast on a sunny day, the blacks are very crushed and need lifting in post - a very similar look to my VG20 (same sensor) I also need to lift the middle input levels to bring back some details.
Old July 9th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

So the answer is what??? I think if you really do need the detail brought out then PP3 is still the way to go. I have a preset in Sony Vegas Colour Curves which puts a little bulge down near the black end and that lifts black detail nicely.

I have probably shot 30 odd weddings all on PP3 and I don't ever need to lift black detail ..all I do is lift saturation a wee bit for indoor shots and a bit extra for outdoor shots

I think I'm confused now? Maybe it's old age??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)