New camera purchase - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old September 11th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: New camera purchase

Hi James

That's a good point but for me the FS100 is brilliant as a camera but again sucks big time for us handheld guys! Love the sensor but hate the form factor

Pete said in another thread that he has had no issues at all with the overheat issue..however that's in the UK where you guys get pretty mild weather compared to us. The EA-50 has impressed me in the heat ..it was at an outdoor wedding in full sun at a lovely 43 degrees last February ..it never skipped a beat and I had to pick it up, tripod and all with the towel as it was too hot to grab the handle ... it gets warm in these parts at weddings!!!

The Panasonic FZ1000 is quite an amazing camera for the price if you don't mind the DSLR body ..fixed super zoom lens and it shoots in 4K too which the A7S cannot do without an external recorder !!
Not sure how the A7S is with autofocus ?? and does it have a servo zoom?? Those seem to be absolute essentials for Randy so even with an FS100 he would be limited to e_mount lenses ... His issue there is that he would also need to buy a few e-mounts which is his major complaint about the EA-50..not enough range by Sony and they are pricey !!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #17
Trustee

To be honest the JVC 650 looked like a well thought out camera with a great lens, its the first camera in a long time to show true sensitivity (2000 lux @f-11) thats as good as my old DV cameras. I was considering the 850 too I think it may have the same chips as the 650. the NX 5 looks nice im not crazy about a different media format though. The EA-50 is great for me BUT in order to make it great you NEED third party lenses in that case you lose so much. We'll see I know I will buy the lens for my EA 50 first so maybe after a few jobs with that I may just get another EA 50:)
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #18
Trustee

Choices choices choices ... No wonder all these cameras have their markets.

After buying my FS700 and being blown away, I've always wondered why everyone just doesn't own a FS100 or FS700 and call it a day. But I can see why. People are willing to sacrifice one feature to have another and vice versa.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #19
Major Player

Just a little side note: After reading through this thread i was looking up the cams that were suggested and i could not help but notice the way they have the sensor looking so big on this cam HERE. I guess it is a marketing ploy to give the consumer the notion that this cam has a big sensor, I assume, lol!

I for one would love to have a FS100. I see you can pick a previously owned one now for 2.5K now. That is awesome when they were 5K brand new at one time.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #20
Trustee

Aaron that's because the A7S has a full frame sensor. The FS100 has a Super 35 sensor. The EA50 has a APS-C.

My FS100 cost less than my EA50 (which I purchased brand new) ... go figure.

I sold both within months of use and settled with a FS700 though. Love the built in ND's and high speed under proper lighting.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #21
Major Player

Yeah James, the FS700 is a little out of my price range as of right now. I hope to make it to that level soon. I love the features of the FS700 especially the slow motion abilities.

I got my EA50 from B&H for $2700 in the used Dept., which last year I got my Sony AX2000 from B&H Used Dept for the same price, Sucks!

I was going to sell my AX2000 but i'm glad i held on to it. After reading through this thread it help me understand the advantage of having it in my gear. I shot with it today, as i'm building an opener for a talk show and I'm very pleased at it's low light performance. So now I'm looking at my two cams in a different light as i develop a strategy with them.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Back to Randy again?

Over here we can get the EA-50K unit which is a body only. It's a lot cheaper as it has no lens so it's great as a B-Camera as you just use your existing Nikon lenses and when you need a zoom just grab the 18-200 or 18-105 servos and use it on the camera you are running.

Makes dollar sense ..There was a guy here also selling a body only a little way back but you can always sell the 2nd stock lens like I did

Chris
Old September 11th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Makes dollar sense ..There was a guy here also selling a body only a little way back but you can always sell the 2nd stock lens like I did
That might have been me! ;)
Camera is sold now though, unfortunately it had to sell it with the lens in the end. I already miss that lens.
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
The A7S has over heating issues I believe :-(
James I shot a 15 minute civil ceremony last week without any problems
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

Does it have a record limit? Apart from over-heating we still have the odd old fashioned Catholic ceremony where my EA-50 runs non-stop for anything from 45 minutes to an hour and a quarter! Thank goodness those are rare. I do cheat a little too though and normally stop and restart the camera after the readings, homily and before the vows simply cos I'm too lazy to have a split clip and it's easier to edit 4 x 12 minute clips than plow thru nearly an hour on the timeline!

If the A7S overheats does it require an appreciable amount of cooling down time or does it merely need a few seconds of reset? Even so I have seen a few posts where guys have the overheat icon come up and they just let the camera run with no ill effects. You obviously wouldn't have any long run times at the reception unless the Father of the Bride wants everybody to know the life history of his little precious!!!
(I did have one Dad who ran up a 37 minute clip once!)

Chris
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:11 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Hi Dmitri

It might have been you..but I think it was more recent and a guy here in Australia. I don't miss my 18-200 at all, in fact I have my second one on eBay at the moment. At weddings I have no use for it and on Realty shoots it's nowhere wide enough so I do those with a Tamron 10-24 (locked at full wide and zone focused as auto focus just won't work if you are try to film a vacant room interior with white walls and a white ceiling..there is nothing for it to lock onto so it goes crazy!!) I normally have either a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or at bigger Churches a Tamron 28-75 F2.8 on the static cam and then my Sigma 18-35 F1.8 on the B-Cam..magic lens but quite heavy!!

If I need a big zoom I have a Nikon 18-200 also F3.5 so I am covered.

Chris
Old September 12th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Pete

Does it have a record limit? Apart from over-heating we still have the odd old fashioned Catholic ceremony where my EA-50 runs non-stop for anything from 45 minutes to an hour and a quarter! Thank goodness those are rare. I do cheat a little too though and normally stop and restart the camera after the readings, homily and before the vows simply cos I'm too lazy to have a split clip and it's easier to edit 4 x 12 minute clips than plow thru nearly an hour on the timeline!

If the A7S overheats does it require an appreciable amount of cooling down time or does it merely need a few seconds of reset? Even so I have seen a few posts where guys have the overheat icon come up and they just let the camera run with no ill effects. You obviously wouldn't have any long run times at the reception unless the Father of the Bride wants everybody to know the life history of his little precious!!!
(I did have one Dad who ran up a 37 minute clip once!)

Chris
Yes Chris even though I bought the 'world' edition camera it's still limited to 29 minutes. TBH I only really use it at evening receptions and bride prep - the EA50 with my Canon or Tamron 2.8 is adequate for most ceremonies and speeches so it's really a non issue for me - I just wish it was in a camcorder body!
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)