Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old November 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice

I was hoping to get some input from you all. I have the opportunity to purchase a pre-owned FS100 (body only) for $1,450 which I think is a great price. The problem is I already own an NEX-EA50 and I can't for the life of me decide if I really need the FS100 or if it's just an impulse because I've wanted that camera since it was originally introduced...I'm attracted to the FS100 for 3 main reasons, greatly improved sensor readout time which has a much reduced rolling shutter vs the EA50, the image is sharper (doesn't have that slight "softness" the EA50 has), and the improved lowlight abilities. Are those three things justification enough to drop almost $1,500? Should I still keep the EA50 as a B cam? HELP!!!
Paul Abbaszadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Advice

I guess in my limited experience if your budget allows I would get the FS100 provided it is good shape and you can always resale it for more later that is a good investment at that price. Also I would get it as a main cam on tripod and use the EA50 more mobile as a B cam. I guess the main question would be what to do you shoot? Will it benefit you to have 2 cams? What are you looking to accomplish? i would not replace the EA with the FS100 simply because of the mobility of the EA.

Last edited by Aaron Jones Sr.; November 20th, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Paul

Better sensor yes!! Better ergonomics NO!! If you always have your A-Cam on a tripod then it's a good buy but it's a dog to hand hold!! You will end up buying a rig of some sort I'm sure and that will add to the cost of the camera.

Soft image???? Not for me ..I tossed out the stock lenses on both cameras and use Tamron 17-50 on my A-Cam and a Sigma 18-35 F1.8 on my B-Cam ....they are totally different cameras without the stock lens and razor sharp. With faster lenses I also wouldn't need the extra stop or two that the FS100 offers as my lenses give it to me.

Sounds like you have the same problem as me ... when I see something I like I want it!! Do you REALLY need a 2nd camera ..if not then are you quite happy to sell your EA-50 and keep the FS100 ????

Tough decision !!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I think it's not a soft image you see but the result of moire and aliasing because the nex-ea50 sensor is not optimised for video but the fs100 is. Even with sharp primes my ea50 had a less detailed image then my sony cx730 and my cx730 is less detailed image then my gh3/4 and ax100.

I think it depends what you plan to use that "box" for, like Chris said you will need some form of rig if you are not going to use it on a tripod.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #5
Major Player

I can only speak for the FS100, as I have no experience with the EA50, but although I have a rig for the camera, it is often a pleasure to use it handheld almost as it comes out the box (although I don't use the handgrip much).
I have a ShotGrip top handle, and that adds a lot of stability to holding the camera steady, as it can be placed at 90º to the body.
Most of my work is tripod based, but, as has been stated, if you can see a need for it, it is still an excellent camera, and gives good results, once you get used to its little quirks.

I would think, for that price, you almost can't go wrong!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I ended up getting the FS100...I love it! I haven't used the EA50 since, I should probably sell it
Paul Abbaszadeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:32 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm tempted Paul !! A mate of mine has an FS100 ... Even without a shoulder pad it seems to be fine but what worries me when you dump a heavy 2lb plus lens on the front? I guess rails with a shoulder pad would work OK

I really don't like where Sony has put the EVF ...On top of the housing?? It's perfect for a tripod mounted camera IF you are tall enough to see over the top of the camera ..low level shots would be fine but what happens on a high tripod ..say the camera is at 6' ..how on earth do you look into the viewfinder unless you have a ladder ?? The EA-50 at least allows you to swivel the EVF tube down so you can look into it?

Love the sensor though!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbaszadeh View Post
the image is sharper (doesn't have that slight "softness" the EA50 has), and the improved lowlight abilities. Are those three things justification enough to drop almost $1,500? Should I still keep the EA50 as a B cam? HELP!!!
Paul are you using the stock lens? Like Chris I ditched that for good Canon glass and the image is noticably sharper and more detailed for me :)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The ea50 doesn't resolve much fine detail, sharp primes make a difference but especially on wide shots the difference to all my camera's was obvious.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:17 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Abbaszadeh View Post
I ended up getting the FS100...I love it! I haven't used the EA50 since, I should probably sell it
Thanks for the update Paul. I will be getting a FS100 shortly, but I will keep my EA as well. Can yo tell me what it is you like about the FS100 that has you replacing the EA? Just curious as to what you have uncovered in your transition...
Aaron Jones Sr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)