change the microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old December 27th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

change the microphone

I want to change the microphone in ea50eh what you recommend I get better sound,what you think of the Sennheiser ME66/K6 is compatible with the ea50eh?
Serggio Lamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: change the microphone

Hi Serggio

A camera mounted mic is really only good for really close up work or ambient sound and the Sony mic is pretty darn good anyway.

Rather look at keeping the Sony mic and then getting an ME66 and putting it on a boom pole preferable with a blimp and dead cat on it too. That way the mic is isolated from the camera noise and bumps ..once on a pole also get a decent suspension system for it too if your blimp doesn't have one.

I use a 2nd mic at weddings on a lighting stand with a dead cat on it too and position it about a metre from the bride and grrom and it's a cheap Chineses one but gives me great audio! Also look at the good ole Rode Videomic! They have a hot output (-38db) and can punch thru a lot of background noise.

An ME-66 30' away from the source audio will sound exactly the same as the Sony mic!! Have you also tried increasing the channel gain on your Sony? I run mine at +6db and it works very well 9thye stand has a transmitter on it which sends the audio back to the camera.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #3
Major Player

I use a Rode NTG-2 mic, and as Chris said, it really comes into its own when used off the camera. I once filmed some interviews in a field in January when the wind was really strong, and with the mic in a zeppelin with fluffy cover the sound was immaculate, far better than using a lapel mic with a fluffy cover.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #4
Trustee

I use a Sen ME 466/K6 exactly as Chris said. Most of the time it is on a mic boom. If I must go with on camera audio I put it on the camera. I tested it against the stock Sony mic and you clearly hear an improvement.

I have had years of great service from my ME66. Obviously it is far from top line but in it's price range I would recommend it to anyone.

Steve
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Serggio

A camera mounted mic is really only good for really close up work or ambient sound and the Sony mic is pretty darn good anyway.

Rather look at keeping the Sony mic and then getting an ME66 and putting it on a boom pole preferable with a blimp and dead cat on it too. That way the mic is isolated from the camera noise and bumps ..once on a pole also get a decent suspension system for it too if your blimp doesn't have one.

I use a 2nd mic at weddings on a lighting stand with a dead cat on it too and position it about a metre from the bride and grrom and it's a cheap Chineses one but gives me great audio! Also look at the good ole Rode Videomic! They have a hot output (-38db) and can punch thru a lot of background noise.

An ME-66 30' away from the source audio will sound exactly the same as the Sony mic!! Have you also tried increasing the channel gain on your Sony? I run mine at +6db and it works very well 9thye stand has a transmitter on it which sends the audio back to the camera.

Chris
because I want to buy a boompole (rode micro) I thought about the rode NTG1 but then realised the sony mic from this NEX-EA50 and the NX3 is really good. I saw a really good chinese one -> htdz ht-81. I think I will buy that one for on the boopole. Otherwise I always have to use the mic from the NX3 for this.

But which deadcat/windshield I can use on the sony mic from the NEX-EA50. I read some people use the rode deadcat for this? I know this rode deadcat will be too long but maybe this doesn't matter/disturbs?
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

I made my own for both cameras...Our local Craft store has fake fur fabric and I got a piece of black long haired fur for a few dollars.

You can make a simple template out of cardboard so all you need is two pieces ..one is a rectangle the length of the mic foam and the circumference of the fattest part of the mic and then add a few centimetres so you can stitch it on the inside. So you cut the first piece of fur and stitch it on the wrong side up the long end of the rectangle. Turn it the right side around (so the fur is on the outside and the cylinder you have should now slide neatly over your mic foam. OK that's stage one!!!

Turn the cylinder inside out again so the fabric is on the outside and cut a circle of fur about 10mm bigger all the way around than the diameter of the cylinder. Push the fur side inside the cylinder and then hand stitch the circle onto the top of the cylinder. (You have a wife so she might do it for you!!)

Turn the whole thing inside out again so the fur is all on the outside and you have a dead cat! I made 3 of them and they probably cost me less than a dollar each to make and they work perfectly ... The more you fluff up the fur fibres the better it traps wind and kills any noise so don't worry if your mic looks like a guy with an afro hairstyle ....it will work really well!! I never go anywhere without them ..they are on both camera mics and on my remote boom mic too!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Major Player

already bought one from rode.
Attached Thumbnails
change the microphone-10931107_10204828617052842_4378800003757867597_n.jpg   change the microphone-10991333_10204828223483003_920396232298227414_n.jpg  

Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Trustee

In picture no 1 I though the bar with the rotating emergency light was part of your rig so people would get out of your way when they saw you coming with that thing! The wrong operator is wearing the headphones ;) :0 :)

I'm just having fun, my back hurts just looking at that rig.

Steve
Old February 24th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #9
Major Player

Steve,

I know the wrong operator is using the headphones. Actually there was always music playing so the boom pole was not needed. Just wanted the show how cool we are there.

Than I need a headphone with a longer cable for the right operator.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)