I'm going to compare EA50U and EA50M - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 9th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: I'm going to compare EA50U and EA50M

I tried Content Browser to import into PC. No audio from those or importing from Premiers content browser.

Content Browser and Content Management Utility both frustrate me. I never gave them the time to lean them because I don't like them. I only use them for long clips when I have to.

Content Browser currently wont see any files except the ones I imported through it? This is what I mean, I am inpatient. Why won't Sony's own browser see Sony files everything else sees? Stupid to me so I get mad and try something else.

Content Manager makes you register a folder you can never change again for all imports or something like that.

Steve
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I don't use Content Browser because it will not join AVCHD files together like PMB, or Playmemories or Content Management Utility. I have always used Content Management Utility for transfers from my NX5U and NX30U with never a problem. I have also tried a few NEX-EA50 files with no problems. Yes there is a learning curve ( very shallow). Create and register a folder that you want files to be transferred to and then select that on the transfer window. I only use for transfer and once edited and backup delete anyway.

PlayMemories seems to transfer anything so you may want to try that. As with all the Sony stuff you may need to transfer from the camera USB the first time so that the camera is registered with the software as it will then change its settings to apply to the camera.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:36 PM   #33
Trustee

Thanks Ron, I will try CMU. I tried Content Browser first because it was the disk that came with the camera. Aren't they in the process of combining or eliminating all of these utility's so there will be only one?

Steve
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Content Browser was supposed to be that single product but I do not like it. This is the CMU ver 2.1 that I use and I think it was the last version anyway Sony Creative Software - Content Management Utility. I expect that Catalyst Browse Sony Creative Software - Catalyst Browse is now the choice !!! Or I expect Catalyst Prepare is the more Pro choice Catalyst Prepare: Overview. Catalyst Browse is free and does seem to work for all my camera files ( FDR-AX1, FDR-AX100, NX5U, NX30, CX700, XR500, AS30V etc )

Ron Evans
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #35
Trustee

Thanks for the info Ron. I downloaded Catalyst Prepare and liked it (trial version). It did not fix my problem though. The issue is in Premier. It is not that the audio does not play, there is no audio. The audio is there but does not show up at all, it makes the clips look as though they are video only. I am on a brand new editing rig, fast and clean. It is only doing it with clips I shot in PS mode. It is a known issue that jumps up with Premier, im in 5.5. Its to bad, I just looked at some night shots I would like to show you guys. They turned out better than I expected. But all of the shooting details is on the audio. I don't have time to trouble shoot right now.

Edit: I am exporting them in Catalyst right now to see if pushing them through another codec helps. So much for getting my taxes done. But hey, I have new stuff I am testing. That is important right? If I could only convince my CFO (my wife) of that!

Steve
Old April 9th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Does PP 5.5 manage 28Mbps AVCHD with LPCM audio ? That may be the problem. You will have to ask the CFO if she would let you upgrade the NLE !!!

Ron Evans
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #37
Major Player

Just to set records straight; the FS700 has been updated (firmware 2.10/3.10) to support the 18-105 f4 G lens and they now work great together even at high frame rates. I'm not sure if the raw/4K output is corrected though, think it's not.

FS100 users are out of luck though.
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Hi Ron

I downloaded Catalyst Browse a while back and am now updating to Version 1.21 .. However from what I see it still cannot join split files like the CMU does and export the files?? Am I doing something wrong or does one need to get Catalyst Prepare if you want an option that will import files from the card onto your computer??

Is the new Browse an import program now or do I still need to use CMU or pay for Prepare???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I've found that Iskysoft media converter:

iSkysoft iMedia Converter Deluxe Mac : Ultimate Multimedia Solution

It gives you the option to convert files as "merged" or as clips as the camera breaks them up into approximately 10 minute clips.

I like it as I have the ability to convert to any format for wholesale clients-good product, and it survived the update to yosemite operating system without being ripped off.

The content browser by sony is useless, and lacks functionality and simplicity that Iskysoft media converter offers.

You'll spend about $75 but it's well worth it.
Scott Nocella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #40
Inner Circle

I would still use the Content Management Utility. The Browser is not very good as in my tests will not see AVCHD 2.0 60P with LPCM from my NX30U let alone join the FAT 32 files together. Will work to join files from the NX5U though which are interlaced 60i at 24Mbps. I have not tried Catalyst Prepare. Playmemories will transfer them all including 4K from the AX1 and AX100. It is also free !! It will not do XAVC-L though from the X70 I tested which is the only real time I used the Catalyst Browse to transfer to the PC. Edius will play the X70 XAVC-L files just fine though.

Edit: I will try a few tests tomorrow with my CX700 which will also record 60P but with AC3 audio to see if there is a difference with Catalyst Browse. Don't hold out much hope though. Initially tests were on the NX5U files which it transferred and joined just fine.

Ron Evans
Old April 9th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #41
Trustee

Ron,

The trial version of Catalyst Prepare played and converted my PS mode 1080x60P files just fine. I ran them through their codecs weird setting of "Internet 1080x60P MP4" export and Premier accepted them. I don't know why almost all of the export settings are prefaced by "internet"? I suspect that means they are not high bit rate files but for now it worked.

Chris,

I owe you an apology for saying "if 21db is good enough my camera is broken". It was my brain that was broken. The day before I had looked at some 21 db footage and discarded the idea of using it. I just realized my NLE preview monitor was set to 50% resolution output. I am now looking at some nighttime shots and caught the mistake. It's not bad, footage to follow.

Steve
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #42
Inner Circle

No a problem at all Steve

You probably have less low light issues than me!! At least with a commercial shoot you can say " we need to add some light here" .. At wedding ceremonies the Church simply doesn't allow it Hmm I think I need an 18-100 F1.8 lens constant!!

If I can I keep my gain down between 15 and 18db if I can but when the Church is really dark and my fastest lens is wide open I have no option but to go to 21db!! It's not what I call pristine BUT it is far more usable than 24db

It will be interesting to see if the M model gives you a clean image at 24db but somehow I don't think so!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Did a few tests, Playmemories, Catalyst Browse and Catalyst Prepare. Latest version of all software updated before tests. Catalyst Prepare on Trial.

NX5U 60i LPCM audio files seen by all
CX700 60i and 60P AC3 audio seen by all.
FDR-AX1 AVCHD 60P with AC3 audio and XAVC-S LPCM seen by all.
FDR-AX100 60P AVCHD and 30P XAVC-S seen by all.
NX30U 60P LPCM or Dolby AC3 seen by all.

Catalyst did not join the AVCHD files together just transferred everything !!!

I will stay with Content Management Utility on my main editor as I still have PMB on it and do not want to remove it ( needs to be removed if Playmemories is installed) . Did not manage to get Catalyst Prepare to show camera data but that just may be me not working at it enough. The others seem to recognizes the camera used and data from the files on the SD cards ( or XQD for the AX1 XAVC-S ) Not really impressed by either Catalyst product for transfer compared to PlayMemories actually !!!

Ron Evans
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #44
Trustee

Well received my EA50M late yesterday, damn UPS driver left em for last stop on his route.

Anyway I haven't had a ton to play with it yet, but a few notes.

First off for Steve, I looked at the bottom of my camera and it does say EA50H not EA50M. So like Steve I have no idea what's up with that. For me the camera seems solidly built, but not as solid as my NX5Us, but it does have nice solid feel.

I'm used to most of the menu and button setting as I ahem been using Sony cameras forever.
The only question I have for this here are is there a preference to shoot ISO or Gain? Is one better than the other or just a personal taste as those who shoot photo prefer ISO and those who shoot video are more accustomed to Gain.

Also, what seems to be the preferred preset (L,M,H) settings for ISO and Gain?
Normally I would preset the Gain/ISO accordingly currently I am running
ISO: 200, 1250, 2500
GAIN: 0,12,21

I would set the switch appropriately then run my iris accordingly to set exposure. If I need more I preset the ISO/GAIN limit to be slightly higher for extra boost when needed when switching to audio ISO/GAIN.

Does this sound right. I wish there was a way to adjust the ISO/GAIN on the fly when needed. Too bad the IRIS wheel couldn't have been dual function and have a button that would let us decide which setting IRIS or ISO/GAIN we wanted to adjust then simply turn the dial on the camera to manually set to whatever we need.

Anyway, like Steve said the screen is rich in color and oversaturated. Still looking for a way to fine-tune this to be more accurate for field shooting.

When I get a chance I'll take some test footage and see how it does with moire and aliasing.
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #45
Trustee

OK have a few things.

First off the camera LCD seems pretty accurate to what is downloaded to my computer. So the LCD accuracy while filming seems close enough to be considered accurate to me.

Now for the bad news...There is aliasing. I don't know how much worse than the older EA50H, but it is there.

I have a clip where two clips were created of each shot. Clip 1 (for bunny and bricks ) used no picture profile (profile OFF).

Clps 2 (of bunny and bricks) is using PP1 with detail turned all the way down to -7.

Turning down the detail did help, but there's still aliasing. Now these aren't shots I would normally take but shows how the new sensor is.

Shots use the new stock 18-150mm 4.0 lens with iris about 8.0, as I don't have any ND filters yet. Also I don't have dumb or smart Metabones adapters yet for my Canon EF lenses to test.

Here's the clip...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)