I'm going to compare EA50U and EA50M - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)
Including NEX-EA50UH / EA50EH / EA50H / EA50UK / EA50EK / EA50K

Old April 15th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #61
Trustee

Re: I'm going to compare EA50U and EA50M

Michael,

Here are the steps to change the default setting on your adapter from green mode to advanced mode. Green mode has nothing to do with our camera. It is a battery saving mode for Sony Alpha cameras. If you do not do this you will have to hold in an awkward button every time you change lenses or start up:

1. Turn the camera on without any lens or adapter attached.
2. With a lens attached to the adapter attach the adapter/lens-assembly to the EA50 E-mount while holding the wide open button on the adapter.
3. Keep pressing the wide open button and let the camera boot properly.
4. While you still are pressing the wide open button turn the camera off.

Fixed, advanced mode is now the default.

Steve
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:08 PM   #62
Trustee

I just did some testing. The EA50M is clearly a full stop faster (or close to it) than the EA50U.

Steve
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #63
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve

Sony Pro here still show the EA-50H as a current model but sadly no mention of the M model!! I guess this is a USA only thing! Bummer I'll have to wait for the M series to be available over here

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post
I just did some testing. The EA50M is clearly a full stop faster (or close to it) than the EA50U.

Steve
compared between the 2 stocklenses? @ Chris: here in Belgium you can buy the EA50M. The price is very interesting.
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #65
Inner Circle

Hi Tom

It's almost the same as the USA price ... about 200e more !! I could get from NewYork for $2699 + $230 shipping so that's under $2900 BUT our Aus$ is miserable at the moment (about US$0.76) so it would cost me AUS$3700 + Sales Tax of 10% so it would be more than I paid for my EA-50H cameras 2 years ago!!

Chris
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Digges View Post

Steve
This is what I have been most curious about. :) If the M and U match easily for 2 camera shoots then it would probably be better to get the M rather than a 2nd U. Low light and easy matching are among my 2 biggest concerns.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 09:57 AM   #67
Trustee

Hi David,

It is a good news bad news thing. I am an old school fanatic about matching. I believe every camera on a multi cam shoot should be the exact same model. I don't like unnecessary post work and I don't like dinking around with profiles. Now, I do have a compromise on my hands.

The good news. The "M" model clearly picks up more light. Almost one stop. I say almost, it is probably closer to 2/3. When I put identical lenses, (Canon or Sony) on both cameras and test the aperture settings the cameras will chose, the EA50M comes in 2/3 to one stop different every time. Mostly 2/3 of a stop. I know my clothing test shoot is not exciting to look at but it is a controlled test. In that shoot I did NOT compensate for the "M", both cameras are at 6.3. That is why the exposure looks different, they are. So, in the future when I set up the two cameras I will be setting the "M" to be 2/3 of a stop slower than the "U". Thats OK and easy to do in many ways. Now that I know that I need to repete the test and make the exposure compensation so we can look at "match".

They are not a perfect match, here is the trade off. It is close but no cigar. When I get time I will try to show you some images when I have compensated for the exposure difference. I am not exactly sure how much different the match is. The reason there is a VG30 in that test is it is my back up cam and It gives me a small light camera when I need it. It has the exact same sensor as the "U". I is a very close match, I can go to post and let it it ride if I have matched everything else. I love that little camera.

I will keep you posted as I am trying to figure out what I have on my hands. Maybe I will go back in the studio and compensate for the exposure difference. Now I can also use much better Canon lenses on both cameras.

Steve
Old April 17th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #68
Major Player

Thank you, Steven.
I'm grateful you have taken the time to test and share information about these cameras. Otherwise we would know very little since virtually no information is out there comparing the U and M models
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #69
Trustee

BTW Steve and Chris I have a question about the stock 18-105mm 4f lens that comes with the EA50M.
F4 should be fast enough for wedding ceremonies, but I was curious as to the size of the lens for ceremony shooting.

I normally shoot with 3 cameras

CAM 1 right side shooting bride
CAM 2 left side shooting groom
CAM 3 center aisle shooting medium frame

Shots:
CAM 1: Shooting up aisle for processional, once bride is handed off I go to preset tripod on left, sometimes move off tripod depending on shots needed during ceremony. Move off tripod to get processional once B&G kiss.
CAM 2: Shoots processional from side medium to close up for groom and ceremony
CAM 3: Shoots wide frame when processional happens. Once I move to tripod with CAM 1 I reframe for medium shot.

My question is do you think that the 18-105 lens will be sufficient enough for shooting the ceremony medium and closeups when needed. I normally try to get my tripods at least halfway to 2/3 up the aisle for ceremony shooting.

I could use digital zoom if needed to get little more each for closeups. But is the 105 enough of a zoom or do I need at least a 20mm zoom for this. The issue I have with this is that most zooms like the Sony f4 are 70-200, and I wonder if that's too much lens on a crop sensor to shoot processionals.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am just trying to get my lens selection in order for a days shoot, as I have one coming up in a few weeks. I currently have the following for lens selection...

Sony 18-105mm f4, Sigma 18-35mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8, Sony 35mm 1.8, Sony 50mm 1.8, Rokinon 85mm 1.4.

For a wedding I was thinking of shooting with the Sony 18-105 for Ceremony, Sigma 18-35mm for prep and walk around reception lens. And maybe use the 85mm 1.4 if needed. I would bring the Sony 35m and 50mm as a just in case auto low light lens, but most likely not use it, as I prefer a zoom for run and gun shooting.

If I was to add a lens at all it most likely would be a 70-200mm zoom, like the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 or Sony 70-200mm 4.0. the only reason I would go with the Sony would be to be native E-Mount. Otherwise if the LA-EA4 adapter works as expected with my Sigma 18-35mm (will know on Monday when it arrives) then I would most likely go with that for the 2.8 exposure.
Old April 24th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

It should be OK depending on your distance from the couple .. I normally try to be around 20' from the couple on my main camera and that has a Sigma 17-70 lens on it and that's plenty ... However I did a prior wedding and was about 30' away from the couple on a raised mound and at 70mm I still needed to use a bit of digital zoom to get a little closer ...the 100mm probably would have been perfect ... Despite what people say don't be scared to use digital zoom ..I often use it and you would only see issues where things like artifacts and moire are amplified ...I have never had that and it does give you 200mm if you need it

Chris
Old April 25th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #71
Trustee

Chris thanks for the info.
I was figuring that the 18-105 dhould be enough, especially with the digital zoom for a little extra reach. I'm used to shooting with the NX5u which has about a 28-500mm zoom reach. I never needed to full zoom on it too often which is why I wasn't sure about the reach.

I remember you mentioning that itit's best to not go full 2x digital zoom to avoid softness so I'll keep that in mind.
Old April 25th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #72
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

The only softness I saw was a shot from Noa which was a house hundreds of feet away and he then used DZ to get in closer so it was still a very wide shot and looked a bit soft. If I'm at 70mm and with a tight shot already on a couple and need to go a tad closer I see no degradation on the footage at all with DZ.

My typical use would be the cake cutting done at 18mm and as they cut the cake I tilt down and zoom at the same time to follow the knife blade and then reverse the action (tilt up and zoom out) back to their faces and I see no change at all in the footage. I can see how a digital zoom on a landscape shot might go soft but with closeups I see no difference at all. Because I'm running manual and things happen fast (like a ring shot) it's safer to keep focus and then zoom in as the ring goes on and then out again cos the lens focal length hasn't changed so it will stay in focus whereas if I attempted a zoom manually I might not have time to adjust the focus ring.

Try a digital zoom on an object in reasonable lighting and you tell me if you can notice if the object is softer compared to an optical zoom ? Obviously if you are sitting at 24db gain the DZ will amplify the noise so it will appear different but in my opinion it's very usable with either good light or a fast lens (I do cake cuts with the 18-35 F1.8 and often with a splash of on camera light too so their is no noise)

Chris
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:07 PM   #73
Trustee

Gentlemen,

This is probably my last post in this thread unless someone has a question. This is where I am at with the two cameras. Last week I shot a gig with them and finally recorded a lot of footage. The EA50M is definitely a very improved model of the EA50U. That is good news unless you are looking to match it with the original EA50U. The EA50M really does have an improved sensor in it. You pick up about 2/3 of a stop in low light performance. But that’s not all. The image does have totally different look. It is sharper and more robust. You can’t describe a “look” in words very well so I will just say it is clean and beautiful. I like it. My initial comment about the LCD screen possibly looking different was wrong. What I was seeing was the improved image, I just could not believe there was that much difference at first.

The new “G” lens is superior to the old kit lens in every way. It feels, zooms, and produces a sharp image like it should. It matches my Canon “L” glass better than it matches the old kit lens in sharpness.

I was and am pleased with my purchase of the original EA50U. If you have any interest in a camera like this you can get the EA50M with a better sensor and a better lens for much less than I paid for the original model. These will be my last HD cameras. I have to say there is a lot of value there if you’re not already onto 4K.

Steve
Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:20 PM   #74
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve

I think you have said all that needs to be said and the comments are greatly appreciated. Matching wouldn't be an issue for me as when I change cameras I usually change both and sell off my previous units. For me that will probably be next year anyway so hopefully Sony here will have the M model in stock?

I'm assuming this is not your last post on the forum? just your last on this particular subject!

Chris
Old May 3rd, 2015, 02:59 AM   #75
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve - Interesting to follow this thread. I am thinking of a change next year and am undecided. If I did not need to buy a new car it would have been the FS7 but maybe I'll sell on my original EA50 for the new one. I love the look I can get from a large sensor but hate the DSLR form factor (and I've been using my A7s for a while now - still don't like it) which is why I'd never get a Canon C100/300 or a Sony FS100 - I'm too used to the camcorder way of doing things.

The thing that may swing it though is the 3 gain settings, I know it's traditional but is really limiting, the one good thing about the A7 is to be able to use the ISO dial to control exposure - awesome, shame Sony did not provide this in the new EA50 using the little thumbwheel :(

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-EA50 (all variants)