New E Series Lenses?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Trustee

New E Series Lenses??

Now that Sony has announced 2 additional Pro level video cams that are native for E Series lens, I'm thinking that this bodes well for us VG10 users.
In order to support the expensive Pro line, Sony must be intending to significantly expand the E Series lenses.
I know there was a recent press release about a few new E lenses coming soon and am wondering what the chit-chat is about future releases.
Anybody???
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Trustee

I too would like to know what's in the pipeline for the E-series lenses.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Major Player

if memory serves there are supposed to be three new e-mount lenses next year and three new higher quality g-mount lenses by the end of 2012.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Trustee

That's quite a wait.
I was hoping they would offer more than that.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't know quite how accurate those reports are - I've been following the e-mount lens announcements on the web but that one was third party and a few days old. I think I've read elsewhere that there's going to be a 50mm e-mount lens in the new year. Will try and remember to post links here next time I see anything.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Major Player

sonyalpharumors | Home

Sony Announces 7 New E-mount (NEX) Lenses with 4 in 2011 and 3 in 2012 - DSLR Camera & Lenses News - DSLR Photography News & Reviews

Here are the two most recent articles I can find on the subject that look in any way reliable. Will post more as and when I find them.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Hmmm....
Tantilizing, but not much info.
I was hoping to get a clue if any of the new lenses would be significantly faster ( f-1.4/1.8) than what we currently have.
Just have to wait and see...
Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Exactly my thoughts. We're really crying out for a good fast portrait lens if nothing else. A 1.8 or 1.4 would be brilliant. A friend has some old Olympus primes that will hopefully keep me going in the meantime but it's less than ideal, especially for run and gun work where I'll really miss the image stabilisation...

Out of interest do you have any experience with relatively affordable tilt shift lenses? Obviously that's probably Sony's last priority for the e-mount system so was wondering if there are any from other brands + the relevant adaptor that you or anyone else could recommend for the VG10? It looks like a fun effect to use in music videos...
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Lens baby has an E Mount adapter and and a cheap tilt shift lens IIRC. One advantage if the E mount is the very short flange-sensor distance, meaning it's pretty easy to make an adapter for just about any mount ever made. Since it appears Sony is going with this mount on the new 35mm cam, it's a good bet that there will be lots of future development.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #10
Major Player

Many thanks, Dave. I'll check lensbaby out.
Old November 25th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Lens baby has an E Mount adapter and and a cheap tilt shift lens IIRC. One advantage if the E mount is the very short flange-sensor distance, meaning it's pretty easy to make an adapter for just about any mount ever made. Since it appears Sony is going with this mount on the new 35mm cam, it's a good bet that there will be lots of future development.
Today the Nex cameras can take nearly every lens made since the forties, though of course the modern AF and OIS is not supported functionaly outside the e-mount.

The key is crop factor of 1.5 or 1.6 (i can never get that straight), IE with a 50 or 55, you are really dealing with an 85, so you cannot hold it stable for long.

So for fluid hand-held work 28mm is really the max.

Therefore the most important lenses to get are fast primes or zooms below 28.

First to get is the e-mount 16, which is good, and at 2.8 quite fast for the size.

the 18-200 is very sharp really, but too slow as we know.

So for the second lens one might seriously consider a fast 24mm. The FD 1.4 would be ideal and there is one on ebay right now, buy it now for 500, which is actually a good deal believe it or not, as they go for 650-700 often.

That was too rich for me, so I went for the FD 24 f/2 which is actually a better lens for still work--VERY sharp. I had to pay about 250 plus shipping.

There is also a good Canon FD 20mm 2.8 which is a little cheaper.

Next I would try to find a really fast 28/35 and a really fast 50-55. At 28 I found a good kiron for 80USD f/2. There are a ton of options at 35, I again went for the FD f/2 for about 125USD. But there are faster options if you have the money.

In the 50-55 range there are some real steals, you can get great 50 1.4s like the pentax-m for as little as 60, but the king of great cheap lenses has to be the canon FL 55mm 1.2 which can be found for around 160 if you are patient. You'll need a monopod, but that thing is FAST, and incredible for low light.

At 85 the bang for the buck is the modern MF samyang (goes by many names) 1.4 which also would be fine on a monopod. It is VERY sharp, and about 230 NEW.

Then you can spring for a fast 135, which will need a tripod.

And that's all you'll need.

Now there are some fast zooms out there which cost a bunch but would prolly be even better. They are AF nikons etc, you won't have AF, BUT with the right adapter you can control aperture on most all Nikon G lenses. This is not the case with modern canon lenses, which must be preset in a canon body if you want something other than wide open.

I've also sprung for a sigma 8-16 but it's not fast.

The only real reason for all these is low light and tight DOFs. If that's what you need there is no way around a good lens set or super fast zooms, all MF that I can see.

Yes there are some fancy alpha mounts, but forget AF. It "works" but is crazy slow and LOUD. You do have good aperture control though.

Not a perfect world but it's fun to play with it all.

I'll be peeing my pants at events--but since most delivery is still DVD, I will shoot all the budget stuff with My PD170 as always. If they want the "film" look they will need to pay, and I'll hire someone to back me up with PDs anyway.

I have a nex-5 and all this stuff I'll use for stills as well, so it's not really THAT crazy. Plus I haven't bought a camera since 2002 or so, hehe.

have fun everyone,

BTW the Nex-5 also shoots great 1080i albeit with less control (but still has exp comp), so my plan in low light is to have the VG10 with a fast 55 or longer on a monopod, and the nex-5 with 24 or less around my shoulder. Much less lens change.

PS also at 24 is the Sigma 24mm f/1.8 EX DG DF Macro for Sony Alpha. I just saw a used copy go for 280. It should be possible to control aperture on this lens also--if you have LAEA-1

Last edited by Charlie Webster; November 25th, 2010 at 04:36 PM.
Charlie Webster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900