What do the stills extracted from the m2ts look like? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old November 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Major Player

What do the stills extracted from the m2ts look like?

I shot a figureskating competition last week with a HDR CX550 making DVD and AVCHD Discs as well as stills for the participants. The video was pretty nice and made some great Discs.
I 've wanted to produce reasonable stills at these events to inflate the ROI a bit. Shooting fast moving skaters and trying to keep them nicely framed (thankful for af at least) is busy work and figuring out when to pull the trigger for a still is a distraction and besides it takes forever and a day for the file to be written whilst recording video so I decided to shoot the video at 1/250 to minimize blurr and extract frames rather than shoot stills.
Worked not too badly. PMB does a nice job of scrolling through the m2ts and saving frames; fixes the de and interlace issue too, then photoshop isopro and icorrect for fixiing up the noise and color.
The prints are not tooooo bad at 6x4 but I'm wondering what the VG10 still frame extracts would look like? Way way better than the cx550?
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Trustee

I doubt that extracting a 1920x1080 video frame from the VG would look hugely different, or "better" than a 1920x1080 video frame from the CX550. The VG might have a bit of an edge since it is a progressive frame rather than interlaced.
I do think a proper still image shot from the VG, with it's big chip being fully utilized, should be a better quality image than a still shot with the CX550 1/3" chip. It should be like comparing a DSLR still to a pocket sized point & shoot still.
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Major Player

I bought an intensity shuttle to use for capturing from the cx550 (haven't quite set up yet )
Wondering what the video directly from the hdmi output on the vg10 would look like as mjpeg
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
The VG might have a bit of an edge since it is a progressive frame rather than interlaced.
When there is lots of fast motion deinterlacing is going to remove half the lines, so the difference will be huge. On the other hand, the necessary slow shutter will force a huge amount of motion blur.

The Pana 700 that does 1080p60 would be the best choice for this kind of work.

Last edited by Steve Mullen; November 27th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900